lego knitting machine

Old July 27th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default lego knitting machine

Hi,

I was looking for more references to mechanical spool knitters and found
this site - it's a mechanical knitter made from Lego!! I wish I could feel
this thing in operation!

Linkname: Lego Knitting Machine

According to the site, it really works!

David

Old July 27th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

It's made of Legos, battery-operated, and produces a very loosely knitted
cord. Its dimensions appear to be about 6 x 12 x 4 (would be 1 except that
there's a 3-4 inch projection at the base). From my familiarity with Legos,
I can't imagine what keeps it from falling apart every 25 seconds.

Georgia

.bc.ca...

Old July 27th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

OKay, I watched the video (couldn't find it at first). It's pretty amazing.
I guess it doesn't fall apart BECAUSE it's battery-operated, and no clumsly
hands are touching it. Still, getting everything to balance so the parts
that work by gravity work right takes a lot of engineering!

Georgia

Old July 27th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hahahah David , my first feeling was OHH a machine that knits plastic
cubes ,,,,,, ??????????nooo
mirjam

Old July 27th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Hi Georgia,

I used Lego when I was a kid - all square and rectangular pieces, I assume
they've got round pieces now? The image your descriptions put in my head are
hilarious, like some nineteenth-century gizmo a mad scientist made lol!

David

Old July 27th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Good morning Mirjam,

Hahaha!! Now _there's_ an idea!

Peace,

David

Old July 27th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

When my son was 10 (19 years ago!) they came out with gear assemblies for
lego. THis machine makes considerable use of them. I don't think there are
any round parts (though there are some round lego pieces (little spacemen we
still have), but there must be some sort of hook to keep the yarn from
slipping--I'll try to take another look. Anyway, the smallest lego pieces
are about 3/16" square, and the machine doesn't have much tension, so that
is why the knitted cord is knitted so loosely.

Georgia

. bc.ca...

Old July 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gina Bull

The basic principle is the old spool-and-tacks knitting
widget that kids used to make. The yarn goes around the
tacks, then a tool flips the yarn over each tack and the
cord drapes down through the middle hole of the spool. The
Lego device doesn't use much in the way of tension -- the
resulting cord is very loosely knit. It only has four
"tacks", too.

The Lego pieces are the types you get in their gear or
robotic kits. I think they're called "Technica". It doesn't
use the traditional Lego blocks, except perhaps in the base
(I can't see it that well in the photos).

Gina

Old July 29th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Hi Georgia,

Well, I wasn't thinking of the Lego knitter as a practical tool, more as a
novelty lol! It must look and sound hilarious in action! *grin*