what is the American equivalent?

Old October 2nd 03, 11:50 AM
Penny Lemire

I do believe I recall seing instructions for making a DIY pleater in
an older issue of Threads magazine. Might you be able to access it
through Threads online mag.?
Let me know; if you can't access anyhing, I'll dig through my files
and see what I can turn up.
Cea

I haven't found anything - but I may also be doing it wrong.
If you have the article without going to too much pain, I'd
appreciate it, but don't spend a lot of time hunting on my
account! I do lots of the "well try this" sort of project
anyway.

By the way, IK don't know how universal it is, but my local
Joannes has a large classroom area, fully equipped with
tools, including 5 Viking machines, which they are letting
us use free for this project. Next week we will spend 8
hours there (people coming in in shifts as they are
available) starting the cutting and sewing. I found out
about using their classroom by chatting with the employees,
and they said they make it available to "charitable" groups
for the asking.

Thanks so much
$.01

Old October 3rd 03, 01:37 PM
C Underwood

Maria's Index of Threads Magazine Articles (
http://www.freespace.net/~marpin/threads.htm#SP ) shows these issues/pages.

Pleating 42-54
Pleats 81-48
Pleats - Cartridge 79-64
Pleats - Open 92-62
Pleats - Skirt 84-20
Pleated Fabric 31-47
Pleated Fabric 46-48
Pleats Twisted 39-32
Pleats in skirt 30-43

I've completed my collection of Threads magazines so will try to look at
these today to see if any of them tell how to make a pleater.

-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
..·´ Chris
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸
·.·

Washington State, USA

Old October 7th 03, 09:29 PM
Penny Lemire

OK all. I finally got to the actual making of the pleater I
neede for this cummerbund project (which now may grow to 250
of the things!!). After much searching and lots of help
from you all, I ended up going with heavy (shirt collar
weight) interfacing in place of the Vilene Fusible Badge
Backing 1050HF.

The first stuuf I bought for stiffening looked interesting,
labled as shirt weight fusible, somewhat spider-webby
looking and very stiff. I neglected to write down the
brand, tho. Texture was nice, but I've NEVER had such a
problem with fusible shrinkage! I did the usual preshrink
steaming, watched it contract what seemed like miles, and
thought, OK, I'm ready to fly. When I tried fusing it to
the cotton face, though, I got about 10% more shrinking,
making for an amazing pebbled surface. I was reminded of
some of the deliberate fabric crinkling techniques I've
seen. NOT what I need for this job, however.

Oncce that was tosssed out, I pulled out my old standby
Pellon Shirt-tailor (I think it's labled). Fused like the
champ it has always been. I spent quite while getting the
pleats just right (one line always wanted to go crooked),
and steamed the life out of it. Adding the back webbing and
face was simple.

This thing looks like it will be a real life saver. I drew
on the cotton alignment points for the cummerbund piece in
two sizes, and tried it out on a handfull of samples. It
takes a bit of patience to get it tucked in, but much less
fuss than marking and aligning. I suspect practice will
improve the speed, too.

Total time to make this was ~45 minutes, including fighting
the rotten interfacing stuff. Total time saved: anybody's
guess. Now that I know how easy it can be, I may just make
myself one for skirts and miscellaneous projects.

Thanks to all of you for all your help.

$.01

FA: Set of Unusual American Indian Christmas Ornaments - Ends Today Laraw1 Marketplace 0 December 11th 04 02:47 PM
FA: 8 Native American /SW style handmade Xmas ornaments Laraw1 Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 05:19 PM
My American Quilt Lynne Van Quilting 10 March 30th 04 04:23 PM
American hardanger Stefania Bressan Needlework 30 October 15th 03 01:59 PM