Wild Ginger - Coats

Old October 3rd 03, 05:56 PM
duh who

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Okay, so maybe they don't have them where I have looked. (shrug)

If you aren't too good at sewing, it's still a good idea to have a basic
sewing book.

I've got the reader's digest book, which doesn't do much with outwear it
seems.

Old October 3rd 03, 06:02 PM
duh who

"Trishty" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:16:59 GMT, duh who wrote:

I can do shirts. Haven't done a coat or jacket yet. That's what

concerns
me. snip

Vogue 2613 is a nice coat pattern if you fancy a classic overcoat. Once

you
got the hang of that, you could extrapolate from it, using PMTM. I've

never
seen a trenchcoat pattern - could you use a womens pattern and swap the
fronts, or would that be too weird? Come to think of it, aren't Burberrys
unisex? You button it one way or the other according to gender.

I'm not looking for an overcoat (which I term to be one of those knee-length
P-coats). I'm looking for a waist length coat that will be insulated. I'm
wanting to do a mandarin style.

Perhaps the pattern you mention might still help me.

Mens tailored wear is also very structured compared with womenswear and

may
use techniques like pad stitching, which are pretty advanced - I think

Kate
has a demo of that on her website. Most men who learn to sew tailored
garments that well are doing it for a living.

Well, I"m not looking to do a dress coat, per se. Just a more form fitting
coat for warmth and knock around.

I learned how coats were constructed by taking old ones apart - many of my
thrift-store coats were mens, as it happens. I've always worn menswear,

as
mens RTW is often higher quality than womenswear.

I'll have to look into that.

Old October 3rd 03, 09:50 PM
SewStorm

Melinda, who does not intend to get rid of her 5-6 pattern fitting books
just because she has pattern-drafting software to do it for her now

And for the same reason, I have 7 or 8 shelves of sewing books. Do I know how
to sew? Yes, very, very well. But do I know how to do everything there is to
do? Not on your life. There are so many different techniques, so many different
applications, and I know I'll never in this lifetime ever try them all. But
it's great to know that I have a library of sewing techniques and methods to
draw from others' expertise when I want to do something a little different.

That's partly what libraries are for. By the way, I don't really consider a
lack of books for tailoring a "bias towards women's clothing". There are a lot
of books on fit right now, and on quilting, but like everything else, it goes
in waves. In the past there have been excellent books on tailoring; it just has
fallen out of fashion lately, but I do see it coming back.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 4th 03, 12:10 AM
Liz

Hi Diana,
I've been looking at their patterns on the web and thought they looked
good -- can you tell me what they're like to use? Easy? Plenty of
information? I've done a middling amount of sewing from
Vogue/Butterick/McCalls etc patterns -- how do the Folkwear ones compare?
Thanks very much,
Liz

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I'm just going to toss this idea out to you.. I havent the foggiest if its
up your alley.. Folkwear Patterns. www.folkwear.com
It just seems that you are looking for something a little out of the
ordinary, and the basic pattern companys arent doing it for you. I hope

this
helps. If not, at least I got to put the word out to others. I like their
patterns. :-)
Diana

Old October 4th 03, 12:48 AM
Diana Curtis

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 4th 03, 02:05 AM
Liz

Thanks, I never thought of ebay. I'll have a look
Liz

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I have several of their patterns, back from the old days when they were
printed on nice heavy paper. I found their instructions to be accurate and
easy to follow, patterns were marked well...and pages for embellishment
options were nicely layed out. That is from the experience of making up 3

or
4 of their patterns.
A lot of the Ethnic patterns are formed from rectangles and so are easy to
alter.
On the Afghani Nomad Dress Pattern I found I needed to tweak the neckline

bit to make it comfortable, but all the rest of them needed no work.
If youre curious about them but dont want to pay full price then you might
consider buying through Ebay, where I have found a number of them at any
given time going for about half price.
HTH
Diana

Old October 4th 03, 02:05 AM
duh who

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I'm just going to toss this idea out to you.. I havent the foggiest if its
up your alley.. Folkwear Patterns. www.folkwear.com
It just seems that you are looking for something a little out of the
ordinary, and the basic pattern companys arent doing it for you. I hope

this
helps. If not, at least I got to put the word out to others. I like their
patterns. :-)
Diana

Nah, they don't have what I want.

Now, if I wanted a Halloween costume, or unisex surgical scrubs, hell, I'd
have my pick.

rant, rant, rant, rend.

Old October 4th 03, 02:41 AM
Diana Curtis

I have several of their patterns, back from the old days when they were
printed on nice heavy paper. I found their instructions to be accurate and
easy to follow, patterns were marked well...and pages for embellishment
options were nicely layed out. That is from the experience of making up 3 or
4 of their patterns.
A lot of the Ethnic patterns are formed from rectangles and so are easy to
alter.
On the Afghani Nomad Dress Pattern I found I needed to tweak the neckline a

Old October 4th 03, 08:48 AM

duh who wrote:

Now, if I wanted a Halloween costume, or unisex surgical scrubs, hell, I'd
have my pick.

Well, you can still look at the styles to decide what you want even if
they aren't for your gender or your size. Then you can copy that with
your Tailor Made software.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa