Ping Steven: bad weather

Old November 10th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Ping Steven: bad weather

We get anxious about hurricanes around here - and our weather guys are upset
about Alaska having a 'snow' (?) hurricane with winds up to 100 mph.
Please let us know that you are not in harm's way and have prepared for loss
of power and are staying safe. Polly

Old November 10th 11, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Yes, this is quite the system and has everyone talking doesn't it.
Especially up here.

Well, in the path and not in the path. It is all coming in from the west of
course, but has a large area to cross and a mountain range in the way before
we'll start feeling any of the effects. Where I used to live in the
village, I'm sure they are getting winds, lesser than right on the coast and
being further inland up the Yukon, they also won't get the high tides and
surf either, but they will definitely feel it a lot. The coastal villages
at sea level are getting it bad, especially Kivalina and Kotzebue and Nome
and a few others. The first two are basically villages on sand bars so you
can imagine what winds and waves will do.

But back to me, we're forcast to get up to 8 inches of snow tonight, and
probably more over the next couple of days. Probably some higher winds but
not too awfully bad here. Maybe in the 60 range which is not atypical for
us, especially north of were we live and where I work. Palmer could get
very high winds and school will be shaking and shuddering I'm sure if with
the rotation of the weather system, the winds will eventually come out of
the north a bit for a while. Will keep you updated and will also try to
find the picture I have of the state of Alaska superimposed over a map of
the lower 48. You can then get an idea of size and distance. This system
is about as big as the entire state of Alaska which is about the size of the
entire eastern US. Pretty big and scary. We don't have a generator but the
fireplace could help some and all things frozen could be simply put outside
from the fridge and freezer and we can cook on the grill if needed. We have
gallons of water in old tea jugs to water the plants but they are also our
water supply in event of natural disaster.

And besides the fireplace we have piles of quilts I've made so we'll just
snuggle up under them if need be.

More later and thanks for caring.

Steven
Alaska