feeling stupid

Old August 24th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Default feeling stupid

I like that! I always prefer keyboard commands to using my mouse (except when I'm playing games). Thanks for
that tip!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

On 8/24/2010 12:09 PM, Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
On 8/24/2010 7:17 AM, Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
Thunderbird, my newsreader, decided to update itself. Now I can't find
the 'reply' button when I read the messages. What I wanted to say was -
John, you should start a line of Girly accessories on Etsy. They look
great! But I couldn't find the button. Alas... I suppose that's what I
get for mostly lurking these days. I have lost the privilege of replying!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Or you can use "control r" just so you have another choice

Judie

Old August 25th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

On 8/24/2010 3:59 PM, Louise in Iowa wrote:
I like that! I always prefer keyboard commands to using my mouse (except
when I'm playing games). Thanks for that tip!

Louise, I like the keyboard commands too, but then of course I would
since I used to be what they called a "keypunch operator" and then that
sort of morphed into being a data entry operator. Before there was such
a thing as a mouse. Before there was such a thing as a pc.
Before.....you get the idea, it was a long time ago.

Judie

Old August 25th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

That's funny - Mom and I were just talking about keypunch operators this afternoon and saying most people
today wouldn't know what we were talking about. I had a part-time job in the summer between school years
(college), and that was one of the things I did! Yep - a long time ago (40+ years for me).
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old August 25th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

there are a whole mess of us here that are older than dirt.
i took a computer class in college where we used cards with holes punched in
them as the data info.
it was insane. i could not wrap my brain around the point of it all and quit
the class.
wish it had been a decade later when i'd be learning proper computer
languages etc.
i'd be a proper programmer now i'm sure.
now i know just enough to really tick me off when a program is not right and
it takes them far too long to fix what ails it.
oh well.
j.

"Louise in Iowa" wrote...

Old August 25th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 24, 7:17*am, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
wrote:
Thunderbird, my newsreader, decided to update itself. *Now I can't find
the 'reply' button when I read the messages. *What I wanted to say was -
John, you should start a line of Girly accessories on Etsy. *They look
great! *But I couldn't find the button. *Alas... I suppose that's what I
get for mostly lurking these days. *I have lost the privilege of replying!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

The thought of being the head of a large internet sales operation
called "Girly Goodies, or Accessories, or Girly Anything" , is just
about more than I can handle. I thank you for the vote of confidence,
as to the salability of some of the things I make, but I shudder at
the thought of what my business card would look like. I don't want to
make endless amounts of anything. I am very happy turning out the
occasional interesting "item" that I can amaze myself with and
possibly some people here on RCTQ, and maybe a few friends, but that
is about the extent of it.
But for somebody so inclined, they have my permission to steal any of
my designs and run the table on Etsy, or any other venue. Who knows,
They may already be doing just that, as I type. I do know that
somebody stole a review of mine for a Bernina 1007 Sewing Machine, on
another website, and cut an pasted it and sold it to a third website.
I did get that pulled down, when I showed the second website my
original post and they agreed that it was plagiarism. But thanks for
the vote of confidence. It is reward enough.

John
(Girly Nothing,
since, forever).
Old August 25th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:13:51 -0400, Susan Torrens wrote:
When my DH was in university he wrote computer programs to punch cards.
You had to be an accurate typist or you had lots of errors. It also
helped to not drop the cards and get them out of order. I remember

I used to put diagonal stripes of markers across the edges of my "good
decks" so I could put them in order quickly if they got dropped.

DH's computer geekiness dates back to the punch card and paper tape days
(andhe even had a computer that you had to boot with switches). When
he worked for Big Corporation, they had punch operators that would do
all the punching -- he says more than once when he walked back to see
if they'd gotten to some particular spot in a job, they couldn't tell
him... they'd be carrying on conversations, punching like mad, and told
him they never read what they were punching, it just slowed them down.
See a letter, hit a letter...

Old September 2nd 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default karen same here... feeling stupid

I use thunderbird too and it's taking some getting used the buttons are
in the message itself on the right hand side of the screen. Not sure I
like it but I'm trying to get used to it.
Joanna

Old September 2nd 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
j*

hi Karen,
just opened Tbird and having a look at it.
did you ever sort out all the things in it that were bugging you?
i looked thru and fiddled various things in 'view'.
you can drag the 'reply' option into the toolbar for the main program

also here for just a reply.
open a msg in its own window that you want to reply to and use the
view/toolbars/customize, drag the 'reply' button into the toolbar of
that window. should show there on future msgs too.
i've just done it, let me check to be sure.
yup, that worked fine.
in case you'd not yet worked it out, i hope that helps.
now i see it shows my reply as coming from the bogus one i use for rctq
so might not go thru at all. we'll see i guess.
otherwise i use my home addy in the directory or
hope that works ok for you.
its just a matter of looking at what is up there and fiddling one at a
time to see how it affects the look you're aiming for.
cheers,
jeannr

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:

Uh oh - I wonder when my TB will do an update. At least I'll know what
to do when I can't find the reply button anymore! Thx!
Allison

Yes, Louise's paragraph worked. Only - my reply button used to be at
the top of the message, and now it is only on the newsgroup window. Ah,
well.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 2nd 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

not what it was supposed to do, oh well.
back into my cave where i belong.
sorry to bother you folks.
j.

"j*" wrote ...
hi Karen,
just opened Tbird and having a look at it.
did you ever sort out all the things in it that were bugging you?
i looked thru and fiddled various things in 'view'.
you can drag the 'reply' option into the toolbar for the main program

also here for just a reply.
open a msg in its own window that you want to reply to and use the
view/toolbars/customize, drag the 'reply' button into the toolbar of
that window. should show there on future msgs too.
i've just done it, let me check to be sure.
yup, that worked fine.
in case you'd not yet worked it out, i hope that helps.
now i see it shows my reply as coming from the bogus one i use for rctq
so might not go thru at all. we'll see i guess.
otherwise i use my home addy in the directory or addy removed fwiw.