OT- Finch feeders

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 26th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

Default OT- Finch feeders

I haven't been doing much quilting lately, only at my guild
meetings. At home I just made some cloth tubes to hold
thistle seed. I have been buying them but something is
tearing them open and spilling the seed out so buying them
got too expensive. I bought some $1-a-yard sheer knit at
Wal-Mart I hope will work and sewed up 8 of them to try. 2 are just tubes,
but the others I divided by filling partway, sewing across, and filling
again, so if they are torn only part of the seed will spill out. The
first one I had out yesterday disappeared overnight, and the
hook was knocked over. I suspect raccoons. If it happens
again I may have to give up feeding the goldfinches. They
are so pretty to watch. It is funny how satisfying it is to
feed birds & other creatures. People get a lot of
satisfaction feeding ducks, pigeons, seagulls, koi, etc.
that don't offer any other return except the fun of watching
them. Maybe I don't like feeding the raccoons because I
can't watch, or maybe because they are so destructive and greedy they don't
leave anything for the birds.

Jane in NE Ohio, where we are finally getting some rain.

The corn (maize to you Brits) is finally in tassel here, &
the tomatoes are ripening finally. Soon we will have locally
grown produce instead of the durable but plasticy tasting
stuff that is shipped in to the supermarkets.