Another wannabe Basement Bandit....

Old December 26th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
JKGlassman

Default Another wannabe Basement Bandit....

wrote in message
On Dec 25, 11:44 am, "JKGlassman" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 24, 4:30 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message news:1a1ee1be-9423-41df-aa69-
This

article provides the answers to all your questions:

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...mping_single_l...

As usual, more mis-information and off- subject.

The discussion is about REGULAR Spectrum TEXTURED glass, not System
96.

It couldn't be more on subject. Slumping single layer regular art
glass is precisely what that article is about. If you're slumping
single layer, why bother with fusible when regular art glass works
just as well? You can use Spectrum, Wissmach (transparent only), or
architectural (Pilkington and Glaverbel are especially attractive).
Here's a photo of one of more then 1000 pieces we've made from
Spectrum Rack Pack glass.
http://www.debrady.com/kilnglass/fus...pkinpurple.JPG

Time to back up what you're saying Dennis. Are they actually making
money, taking into consideration materials, utility bills, a days labor,
and
turnover ratio? Turning out vases and dishes every day is fun and easy,
but
how often and at what price so they sell? I have a wall full of such
single
piece bends.... vases, dishes, etc etc. Selling it at a profit is very
different than making a living at it. I doubt anyone is, but you can
prove
me wrong with a single name. Sure it's easy to make, so are chopsticks.

--
JK Sinrodhttp://www.sinrodstudios.comhttp://myconeyislandmemories.com

Who are you that I should feel a need to prove anything to you?

Whether or not you believe what I say is irrelevant.

Boy you sure are defensive & nasty. Of course truth is irrelevant to you
when cash is at stake. I as well as others also teach the same things you
do, and for considerably longer. Here's the difference. I don't claim that
they will be able to make money doing any of this as you do. I know better.
Single slumped vases and dishes don't sell well enough to justify making
them. If you keep making claims and promises you can't prove, eventually it
will lead to your downfall Dennis. I asked you nicely and civily to provide
us all, (many do read this stuff you write), with a name of one of your
students that are actually making a living selling this stuff you claim is
the future of artglass. Kilnforming is fun, but doesn't hold a candle to
custom made stained glass panels and resorations.

Old December 26th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

That's why sales of fuse compatible glass is almost 10 times that of
regular art glass?
That's why there are now as many custom cabinet door panels coming out
of a kiln as made on a stained glass work bench?
That's why lamp retailers are buying locally made fused glass
lampshades but all their stained glass ones came from China?

Adapt or die. Ride your delusion into the sunset.
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials..._Glass_Art.pdf
Old December 26th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message news:4ccee2c9-35a1-408d-b5bc-.com

That's why sales of fuse compatible glass is almost 10 times that of
regular art glass?

I was just in both BE and Uro's plants within the past 2 months. I can tell
you without fear of contradiction that the regular glass warehouse areas are
probably 10 times the size of the fusible glass storage. It would seem
that, if, as you say, sales were 10:1 to the fusing vs. regular, the
warehousing would reflect that. The glass manufacturers are private
companies and they aren't going to disclose sales figures, so I kinda have
to doubt your claim.

That's why there are now as many custom cabinet door panels coming out
of a kiln as made on a stained glass work bench?

Must be a regional thing. I was just in a kitchen design center, there
wasn't much of anything in the way of glass doors. muchless anything that
had been within 100 miles of a hot kiln. Just who is it that is offering
these fused panels?

That's why lamp retailers are buying locally made fused glass
lampshades but all their stained glass ones came from China?

I really don't think all of the lampshade market added together amounts to
much in the whole scheme of things. The trend of that market surely isn't
indicitive of anything other than the market for tacky **** is still alive.

Old December 26th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

On Dec 24, 10:48*am, wrote:
Well, I wondered how long it was going to take you to start hawking your web
site.
I think that is that only reason your here.

--
Connie

The Glass Campus Tutorials are so heavily frequented there's no
advantage to promoting them on a site as backwater as this one. *GC
probably gets more visits each day then this place does in several
months.

I'm here more because it so ****es off your compadre Anderson from
Gator**** GA and his gaggle of self-styled elitist artists.

I'm not just helping to create more basement bandits. * *I also enjoy
helping people open new retail shops. *Here's an article many have
found helpful:http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...lGlassBusiness...

LOL,....

"Gator**** GA" ahahahah... I have to remember that one !

/FC
Old December 26th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 24, 9:48*am, wrote:
I'm here more because it so ****es off your compadre Anderson from
Gator**** GA and his gaggle of self-styled elitist artists.

In your own words:

Does bad mouthing someone else's work make you feel better about your
own?

Of course you seem happy just to badmouth someone about anything.
Sorta like the school bully.

Old December 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Whether or not you believe what I say is irrelevant. *Whether or not
you wish to use the Tutorials I provide is also irrelevant. *Whether
or not you chose to take any of the classes I offer is equally
irrelevant. The Tutorials are hugely popular and our classes are
always sold out. *The customized *weeklong stained glass classes have
turned out to be exceptionally popular - with bookings almost
continuous into next summer.http://www.glasscampus.com/classes/c...kintensive.htm

The demand for these have made us realize we should be offering
similar kilnforming classes (perhaps even longer then one week). *Just
one more great reason to come visit Victoria BC - the prettiest city
in North America.

While other glass businesses are closing, the Brady family enterprises
are expanding steadily. *Victorian Art Glass has acquired a number of
new distributorships and Glass Campus Publishing is planning several
new books. *Watch for our promotional sales campaign in January.
Keep watching the Stained Glass News for the many products we
manufacture and available soon in retailers near you.http://www.vicartglass.com/products/masterartisan.htm

Adapt or die. *For the aggressively adaptive, this is a time of
enormous opportunity - especially for basement bandits smart enough to
work from minimum overhead home studios.- Hide quoted text -

Your tutorials would have a lot more validity if you had actually
written them yourself from knowledge that you have learned...rather
than copying information from the web and books.
Old December 26th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Considering the thousands of downloads from Glass Campus, it's far
more likely the other way around.

Old December 26th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 26, 7:13 am, Jman wrote:
On Dec 24, 10:48 am, wrote:

[...]

What's hardest to remember is the assortment of different alias' these
characters use as they skulk from board to board repeating the same
tiresome complaints. The names change but the bitter anger is easy
to spot.
Old December 26th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message news:839d1ced-7327-46bb-aaab-
Moonraker....

Seeing as how the "experts" on the WG board weren't able to adequately
answer your questions, I'll give you a little Christmas present. From
our extensive experiments with short span slumps on weaving molds, we
learned that the usually suggested slump times and temperatures didn't
work on short spans. Here's a schedule that has always worked for us
on single layer Spectrum (fusible or not):

1. 500 dph to 1000 hold 20 min
2. 900 dph to 1265 hold 60 min (it takes that to complete the slump)
3. 1200 dph to 1300 hold 6 min (to fire polish the edge - the glass
can ramp faster but the mold can't)
4. FAP to 960 hold 60 (anneal)
5. 500 dph to 100 OFF

If you want to try it on architectural glass, increase all top
temperatures by 50 degrees and fire polish hold time to 7 min.
If your kiln provides relatively even heat and you want to push
firing times for multiple firings each day, you can increase the ramp
speed as high as 750 dph. Take care to be sure your mold isn't
sitting on the kiln shelf but is propped up to allow air flow beneath
it.

Merry Christmas

The schedule you outlined above is pretty close to what I arrived at by
trial and error.

Just something for you to think about, Dennis:

Had you offered the same information earlier in the thread as a
matter-of-fact
"this-schedule-worked-for-us-and-you-might-want-to-try-something-along-this-line"
and left out all the editorial comment about the WG folks and railing about
people's screen names and the braggodocio about your business successes,
you might have gained just a smidgen of respect. It's not that EVERYTHING
you have to say is wrong, it's that it's always wrapped in 15 layers of your
ego. And that is exactly why you are as unpopular as you are. Lose the ego
and soften the rhetoric about how dumb the rest of us are, and maybe
somebody will cut you a break in the coming year.

Old December 26th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 26, 11:11 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
[...]

The information I offer has been available on my websites for years
and more is being added constantly. If you think the information is
wrong, ignore it or contest it. Hundreds of others have made a
personal effort to send me their thanks for providing it and for
helping them improve their skills and expand their business.

My ego is just fine and needs no fine tuning or adjustment. I don't
expect your support nor do I need you to "cut me a break". I have
always, and will always, oppose the kind of antiquated misinformation
dispensed under the misguided view "We do this way because we've
always done it this way" - just as I have always, and will always,
oppose the elitist attitudes towards new aspiring artisans that you so
disdainfully refer to as "basement bandits". Those you chose to
denigrate and insult, I chose to encourage. While you and your
"associates" here work so hard to keep competition from entering the
field, I work equally hard to coach and assist them into the game. I
don't know what your goal is, but mine is to bring more hobbyists,
more artisans, and more retailers into the glass community. You work
towards your goal in your way and I'll work towards my goal in my
way. Adapt or die.

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...apt_or_Die.pdf