learning crochet

Old January 28th 04, 01:45 PM
LW

Default learning crochet

Can anyone help me with a new crochet pattern? I am trying a dishcloth as my
first project, but I don't understand what "center" means.
The pattern lists the finishes size, then the materials, then it says:
CENTER
ch33.
then it gives the instructions for row 1 and 2 and so on. I understand that,
but am I supposed to do something about the CENTER ch33?
Thanks for the help.
Lori

Old January 28th 04, 03:25 PM
Spike Driver

"LW" wrote in message
Can anyone help me with a new crochet pattern? I am trying a dishcloth as

my
first project, but I don't understand what "center" means.
The pattern lists the finishes size, then the materials, then it says:
CENTER
ch33.
then it gives the instructions for row 1 and 2 and so on. I understand

that,
but am I supposed to do something about the CENTER ch33?
Thanks for the help.
Lori

Lori,

Can you tell us where to find the pattern. Check the copyright and see if
you can post it for us.

Posey gave the best advice so far. Start the pattern and see what it looks
like. Than you might see what you need to do. Hope you can leagally post
the pattern, than one of us will be able to help.

Good luck,

Dennis.

P.S. Show us you work when you done and welcome.

Old January 28th 04, 04:29 PM
Olwynmary

The pattern lists the finishes size, then the materials, then it says:
CENTER
ch33.
then it gives the instructions for row 1 and 2 and so on. I understand that,
but am I supposed to do something about the CENTER ch33?

I only see one reply on this thread, although it indicates there have been
others. However, I would suggest that perhaps the first ch33 is supposed to be
joined into a ring, and then Row 1 is done into that ring. This is a very
common way to start a crochet piece.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 28th 04, 04:58 PM
Olwynmary

Could this be a round dishcloth?? I haven't crocheted in years, but this is
the only thing I could think of.

Not necessarily. Many crochet squares, triangles, ovals, rectangles and stars
begin with a center ring.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 28th 04, 05:08 PM
Karen C - California

I'm thinking it may be the potholders/table pads a friend used to make.

You chain however many and then work down one side of the chain and up the
other, i.e., the beginning chain remains straight, but you're working ovals
around it.

As you work, the edges start to fold over -- fold in on themselves -- and when
you're done, you stitch the edges together to form a double-sided square. Your
beginning chain would be on the diagonal of one side, and your sewn seam is the
diagonal of the other side.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 28th 04, 05:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

There may be a problem in the directions. For a dishcloth, with the
usual "Sugar & Cream" cotton yarn, chain 33 would be about the width of
the cloth.

Row 1 should be worked into this chain 33, and it's possible that Row 1
would be worked on one side of the chain, and Row 2 worked on the other
side.

Or, just Row 1, and when that is done, you go BACK to the CENTER chain
33 and work the pattern in the other direciton.

Or, as a few mentioned, it could be a ring, but a 33 ch ring would be
pretty huge.

Without seeing the pattern, it's difficult to help. We need to know
what it says in Row 1 and Row 2.

Dianne

Old January 29th 04, 06:40 AM
RigPilot

Look at the *whole* pattern (twice) before starting.

Are there *headings* like CENTER, BORDER, LEFT, RIGHT, TOP,
BOTTOM?....followed by instructions for each component piece?

Old February 5th 04, 06:30 AM
Liz Scott

By any chance are you making a ROUND dishcloth? If so, then there
would be some instruction after the ch 33 which fastened the end to
the beginning, then you would continue with the rows.

Liz in Long Island, N.Y.