Help with my bridge project

Old July 8th 03, 05:59 AM
df

Default Help with my bridge project

Hey this is great to find so many knowledgeable people on knot's since I
know nothing. I am building a rope bridge across our back yard water
garden. It is going to be about 15ft long and I have 8 4x4 posts to attach
the bridge to. I have figured out how to tie the boards together, but I
need a sturdy way to tie to the poles that will not slip so as to keep us
from falling in the pond. I have knotched 4 poles for the footing boards
and hand rails and 4 for just the boards on the ends. Each end has a
landing about 3 feet long that takes the bridge from ground level to 1 foot
off the ground which is where the main bridge starts. This is also where
the hand rail will start. Each foot board has been knotched so that rope
can be wrapped and tied making a chain of boards. It is very difficult to
explain. This chain of boards needs to be attached to the 4 main poles 1
foot off the ground wrapped around the knotches in the poles, then the chain
either needs to continue to make the landings or I can seperate them from
the main bridge. I plan on tying the hand rail to the poles and braiding
ropes from the rail to the foot boards to help sturdy the rail and bridge.
I wish my parents would have let me be a boy scoutt because then I wouldn't
have to ask this difficult question. I would greatly apretiate any
suggestions.

Thanks!

Drew

Old July 8th 03, 07:48 PM
roo

Hi Drew,

I must admit, I cannot quite picture your bridge plan, or perhaps the
problem is that I can picture a number of plans that could fit your
description. Do you have a drawing?

If you're looking for crossing knots or crossing hitches over
cylindrical objects, you could try a clove hitch if both ends are
loaded. It's fairly easy to adjust and move when tying it:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html

If that's not what you wanted, you can look around the rest of my site
for ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/knotindex.html

As far as being a scout, perhaps you could ask your parents
(respectfully, of course) under what conditions they'd consider
letting you be a scout. Maybe hard work at school or a clean room
(etc.) might sway them.

Good luck,
roo
Old July 10th 03, 06:07 AM
df

Well, it is a bit late for me to be a scout. I was referring to past tense,
wishing that when I was younger that I would have been able to join. We
just lived to far out in the country for it to be practical. Anyway, as to
my problem, please review the attached sketch. It is very hard to draw with
a mouse.

Thanks!

Drew

Oh, and we would like this to be permanent.

om...

Old July 10th 03, 03:14 PM
roo

Dang, I guess getting your parents to let you be a scout won't help
you, huh? Anyway, I view rec.crafts.knots with Google groups, so
if it's not too much trouble, you might e-mail your sketch to me so I
can view it. )

I would have e-mailed my request, but your e-mail address looks like
it might be non-functional, unless there's an s.com domain.