Temperatures...

Old October 19th 04, 12:17 AM
Kringle

Default Temperatures...

Hello,

Just starting to have an interest in the art of glass...I was wondering
at about what temperature will you need to heat glass to make it melt?
I have a kiln for ceramics, but I don't know if it would do the trick.
I'm looking to take old glass...crush it up, and melt it down into small
panes for reuse. I was wondering what temperatures I should be looking
to achieve.

Thanks much,
K-

Old October 19th 04, 01:56 AM
Mike Firth

Yes it will do the trick. The panes of glass will not be very good for
looking through if just fused from bits - air bubbles galore, like pate de
verre.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old October 19th 04, 03:06 AM
Ron Parker

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:17:51 -0400, Kringle wrote:
Just starting to have an interest in the art of glass...I was wondering
at about what temperature will you need to heat glass to make it melt?

Depends on your glass, but full fuse is around 1450-1550 for your basic
soft (i.e. not borosilicate) glass. If memory serves, that's something
like an 018 or 016 cone (but if you actually use cones, you'll want to
go higher in temp to get the soak time you need.)

I have a kiln for ceramics, but I don't know if it would do the trick.

It would, though you might find that you have to work harder to get the
quality of results you could get with a dedicated glass kiln.

I'm looking to take old glass...crush it up, and melt it down into small
panes for reuse.

You probably won't get what you think you'll get. Fusing transparent frit
will tend to create 1/4" thick puddles of glass infused with hundreds or
thousands of tiny bubbles.

--
#macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type 1u_steps
6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local X=asc(substr(C,Y
Old October 19th 04, 03:09 AM
Ron Parker

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:17:51 -0400, Kringle wrote:
I'm looking to take old glass...crush it up,

I missed the other important part... if your glass is from different sources,
you'll probably discover firsthand what "coefficient of expansion" means.

A good resource on kilnworking glass is http://www.warmglass.com

--
#local R=7084844682857967,0787982,826975826580;#macro L(P)concat(#while(P)chr(
mod(P,100)),#local P=P/100;#end"")#end background{rgb 1}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.y)0,0