New to group

Old August 18th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

Default New to group

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:53:15 -0000, Lynda
wrote:

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Welcome! I started quilting in January of this year. I had an old
sewing machine, and I had a good friend who quilts who had taken me
with her to some shows and lent me all the quilting novels by Jennifer
Chiaverini ...

Our local quilt shop has a beginners' course, one evening a week for
six weeks. They also had put together a kit of all the equipment
needed to get started - some of it I didn't even know what it was! The
course was great - they helped us choose fabric to make a quilt with
several different blocks in it, and they taught us all the steps,
going slowly enough that nobody felt clumsy.

Once I got started, I borrowed a lot of books from the library and
some from my friend, I asked a bunch of questions in this group, and I
asked more questions at the store. And now I'm having a great time
making different projects. I've been to a couple of meetings of the
quilters' guild in town, and I think this year I'll probably join
officially.

One neat thing about quilting fabric that I don't think anyone's
mentioned yet: it's kind of expensive, but it is normal to buy it in
little pieces. A "fat quarter" is a piece about 18 inches by 22
inches, and you can just keep buying little bits of colours and
patterns you like until you are ready to turn them into something
together. You can even buy smaller bits than that, sometimes - I got
a six-inch square for 25 cents CDN, the other day, and it was a
perfect accent for a project I'm working on.

Louise, in Kingston Ontario
Old August 18th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Bellevue

Another Washingtonian. Lynda, go to Pieces Quilt Shop on Rainier Blvd across
the parking lot from Fred Meyer. They are very nice in there and offer a lot
of classes for different levels of quilters.
Donna in Bellevue

*"Lynda" wrote in message
Thankyou so much I have a couple quilting books kind of glanced over them
, I think take a better look at them . I live in Renton Washington

Your pick group (and any other group I moderate), Pami, Dannielle-double aster.... Terbear Quilting 0 December 1st 06 11:17 PM
New To Group and Art Barbara Sherrill Quilting 16 April 23rd 06 10:15 PM
New to group BettyKuhn Needlework 15 January 31st 06 10:01 PM
Group Mama Bear Needlework 0 January 24th 06 11:02 PM
ob group Theultimatemall Marketplace 0 July 10th 04 05:40 PM