Glass grinding bit in drill press

Old October 10th 04, 04:43 PM
MPost

Default Glass grinding bit in drill press

Instead of purchasing a dedicated glass grinding machine, is it possible to
chuck a glass grinding bit into a drill press and use it to grind glass
edges for stained glass work? I can get my drill press down to 570 RPM and
am sure I could rig up something for water cooling and flushing.

Also, how do glass grinding bits typically fastened to a dedicated grinding
machine? Set screw on the bit tightened onto a shaft affixed to the motor,
or is a shaft chucked into a holder on the motor like with drills?

Old October 10th 04, 05:15 PM
Javahut

"MPost" wrote in message
Instead of purchasing a dedicated glass grinding machine, is it possible

chuck a glass grinding bit into a drill press and use it to grind glass
edges for stained glass work? I can get my drill press down to 570 RPM and
am sure I could rig up something for water cooling and flushing.

Also, how do glass grinding bits typically fastened to a dedicated

grinding
machine? Set screw on the bit tightened onto a shaft affixed to the motor,
or is a shaft chucked into a holder on the motor like with drills?

5/16" shaft, with flat surface to tighten bit to it, no need to get down to
570, run that sucker at 1750+, in fact I bet they run close to 3500 rpm, but
don't take that to the bank. Diamond works better at slightly higher speed
so as not to "load up" the debris on the surface of the bit.

BUT most drill presses are steel or iron, do you not care about the
rust? are you only doing one project so the purchase of a grinder is not
budgeted? What makes you think you NEED a grinder at all? Given the cost
of a small grinder, why would you want to ruin a more expensive drill press?

Just a thought....

Old October 11th 04, 07:02 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Javahut" wrote in message

"MPost" wrote in message
[...]

drill presses aren't designed for side forces. you'll wear it out, cause
undue runout in the bearings, and generally do bad things to the quill.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:27 AM
John

A good grinder can be purchased for about $100 or less. I don't think a
drill press would be very good at achieving what you want. Also, you'll
need some water to keep the grinding bit cool and to keep glass dust
particles from floating around. Additionally, I would think the drill
press may have too much torque for grinding glass and you could be
easily injured if a piece of glass were to be grabbed by the bit more
than you anticipated. Personally, I don't think its a good idea. I'd
recommend going to ebay and find a good deal on a grinder.

Glass Grinding Residue DearMom Glass 7 April 18th 04 08:12 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM
grinding glass perfectly flat Allan Adler Glass 6 November 13th 03 07:18 PM
How do you drill holes in glass? Patatsukli Glass 8 October 14th 03 05:02 PM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM