glaze ingredient

Old September 13th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

Default glaze ingredient

Hi All,
I have a recipe for a glaze that calls for R 10. I made the glaze and
love it on a certain clay and I showed the piece to a friend. He
wanted the recipe so I gave it to him and he asked me what is R 10 and
I don't know. Here is the recipe:
Randy's Red Cone 5-6

Flint 30%
EPK 5%
G 200 20%
Talc 15%
Gertsley Borate 30%
R 10 15%

The R 10 looks a lot like red iron oxide. I bought it at my local clay
supply store. Does anyone know if red iron ox. could be substuted for
R 10? Does anyone know what R 10 is?

Thank you for any info on this.
Sandi

Old September 14th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default glaze ingredient Randy's (Toby's) Red

Your R10 is Red Iron Oxide. I use Special Red Iron Oxide. Spanish Oxide
gives a more brown color. I also mix my glaze up and let it age.

My recipe for Randy's Red
Gerstley Borate--1999 3200 (~32%)
Flint 3000 (~30%)
Feldspar--Kona F4 2000 (~20%)
Talc 1400 (~14%)
Kaolin--EPK 500 (~5%)
Iron Oxide--Red 1515 (15%)

As you can see it has been tweaked a bit. The total is 10100 grams (with
15% Special Red Iron Oxide = 11615 grams) which makes up about a 5gallon
bucket of glaze. It is critical that this glaze be cooled slowly at around
1400F (125C). Some people will fire the piece again with bisqueware if they
don't get the color they want.

http://www.masteringglazes.com/Pages/faqframe.html

oups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dewitt

On 13 Sep 2006 15:57:36 -0700, "Red Deer"
wrote:

Hi All,
I have a recipe for a glaze that calls for R 10. I made the glaze and
love it on a certain clay and I showed the piece to a friend. He
wanted the recipe so I gave it to him and he asked me what is R 10 and
I don't know. Here is the recipe:
Randy's Red Cone 5-6

Flint 30%
EPK 5%
G 200 20%
Talc 15%
Gertsley Borate 30%
R 10 15%

The R 10 looks a lot like red iron oxide. I bought it at my local clay
supply store. Does anyone know if red iron ox. could be substuted for
R 10? Does anyone know what R 10 is?

Thank you for any info on this.
Sandi

Rather than R 10, I suspect the recipe originally specified RIO - an
abbreviation for red iron oxide.

deg
Old September 14th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Peter's Email

I have a recipe for a glaze that calls for R 10.

I suspect your "R 10" is actually "RIO", or red iron oxide. Good luck.

Peter
Las Cruces, NM

Old September 14th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

P.S. when I said 'my' recipe - I meant the one I use and not the one I
tweaked.

I see very little difference in the 2 glazes with the Unity formula - don't
know why it was ever changed.

Randys Tobys
Na2O .122 .125
K2O .034 .034
MgO .355 .343
CaO .478 .497

Alkalies .156 .159
Fluxes 1 1

Al2O3 .255 .261
B2O3 .363 .389
Fe2O3 .303 .307

SiO2 3.19 3.197
TiO2 .001 .001
Si:Al 12.506/1 12.267/1

Old September 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tommy Humphries

reminds me of the guy who came into the auto parts store looking for a
replacement 710 cap...guy behind the counter scratched his head for a while
then went out to look at the car, and came back in and gave the fellow a
new 0IL cap....

Tommy Humphries

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM