Crochet Hook Size 7

Old January 1st 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Crochet Hook Size 7

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone seen a size 7, on my gauge it falls between a G and H. I
don't recall ever seeing one before.

Hugs,

Nora

Old January 1st 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"norabalcer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone seen a size 7, on my gauge it falls between a G and H. I
don't recall ever seeing one before.

Hugs,

Nora

Hmm . . . the only time I can recall seeing crochet hooks with a number
instead of a letter are on the really tiny metal ones, the kind one uses for
doilies. Curious!

Karen in MN

Old January 1st 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Karen,

Me too, but then again the gauge I have is an old Susan Bates metal one
and maybe they don't make that size any longer.

Hugs,

Nora

Old January 1st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

norabalcer wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone seen a size 7, on my gauge it falls between a G and H. I
don't recall ever seeing one before.

4.5 mm, Nora, my favourite size for 6x6 squares.

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 1st 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Stella,

That's what I thought it would be too a steel one and not one for
making the hat that Katherine did. Oh well, I'm going to use the H
hook.

Hugs,

Nora

Old January 1st 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yep, I have two, both old, Hero's...
Hugs,
Noreen
boye still makes them, but you have to LOOK....

--
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881), British politician

Old January 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

norabalcer wrote:
Hi Stella,

That's what I thought it would be too a steel one and not one for
making the hat that Katherine did. Oh well, I'm going to use the H
hook.

Odd, my conversion chart shows that a size 7 is quite thick - thicker than a
G.

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 2nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Nora,

Going by millimeter measurement, a 7mm hook would be above a K. Perhaps an
L? I don't have one on hand, so can't check for you. I know they make
them, though they're hard to find. N's, P's, and Q's are easier to locate.

By the numbering system we use here in the states, it would fall exactly
between a G and an H.

Knitting needles in size 7 (UKor US standard) would be 4.5mm in diameter,
which would equate to a size G hook diameter.

Another possibility is that the pattern was designed before the major
manufacturers really standardized the measurements. I have an old Gem hook
that's listed as size I/9, but it's 6mm in diameter. Every hook I see now
that happens to be 6mm in diameter is a J/10. If this is the case, then the
pattern may actually call for an H.

Size 7 steel hooks (no letter) are made, but I'm certain they're too small
for anything except crochet cotton thread. It's the steel hook size we
tended to run out of most often at Hobby Lobby, and it's also the one I use
most often, unless I'm crocheting with sewing thread (13/14 steel one for
that).

I guess the best thing to do would be see if the stitches in any examples
are fairly tightly placed together, or loose and "floppy". If it's floppy,
go with a hook around the L or so. If not, just keep trying from G and on
up until you find a hook that matches your gauge. Personally, I'd start
with the H, as it seems to be what my gut tells me is most likely.

Anastasia

---not that you'd really need to be told all that last bit, but I added it
because who knows who might check the archives for this later on?

Crochet help magikjaz Needlework 42 November 3rd 05 12:11 PM
Needing Crochet Hook Help! Brandie Renea Yarn 8 December 25th 04 07:01 PM
Crochet Hook / Yarn Question Maeven Yarn 8 November 18th 04 02:18 AM
Crochet hook case Katherine Yarn 10 November 5th 04 02:00 PM
4 links for crochet hook storage ideas Seaspray Yarn 3 October 31st 04 05:33 PM