Anybody heard of/use "Bulgarian Pottery"

Old July 18th 04, 09:38 PM
Al

Default Anybody heard of/use "Bulgarian Pottery"

Sorry, I have never posted here, (you can find me on rec.guns more
often!) :-) but saw my wife looking at some of this stuff online.
I grabbed her copy of "baker's catalog" and also see that someone is
selling a ton of it on E-bay this week, but have not seen any of it
before. At first glance the colors would go beautifully with what
she has and I think she would really like not. Not so kitchy as the
Polish pottery. I was wondering if anybody has used it and if so
what can you tell me? Is it generally microwave and oven safe, etc?
Do you like it? Would it make a good gift from a husband?
Old July 19th 04, 12:09 AM
dkat

I am certainly not even close to an expert but out of curiosity I went to
EBAY to take a look. It reminds me a lot of the pottery that used to have
lead in the glaze. It also appears to be earthware. I would NOT use the
antique ones to eat or cook out of. If on the other hand you are buying
reproductions out of a U.S. cooking catalog then it should be food safe and
they should tell you if it is oven and microwave safe. If it does not say
as much, then I would not use it for that purpose. Take my comments only
for what it is worth. Just my point of view.

m...

Old July 19th 04, 03:17 AM
annemarie

I found http://www.bulgarianpottery.com/bowls.htm
Yep looks earthenware to me too.
Could well be lead glazes, difficult to tell, low fired anyway.

. ..

Old July 20th 04, 08:32 PM
Al

OK, thanks for your input. Still will probably bid anyway since
they look beautiful and will just be used decoratively. Thanks!

Old October 14th 04, 01:05 AM
roussi

Bulgarian pottery is safe to use in the oven and dishwasher. Bulgarians
have been using this pottery to cook with forever. You don't have to worry
about lead in the glaze and the piece you saw in Bakers catalog is not an
American reproduction but an imported piece from the Bulgarian city of
Troyan where the pottery has been made for centuries. Hope this helps!