OT - Need some ideas - how to take a vacation

Old November 7th 04, 06:44 PM
Marisa2

Default OT - Need some ideas - how to take a vacation

Kathy,

I don't know anything about traveling in a wheelchair etc. One thing
that struck me as you are writing about this is that maybe you are
trying for too much right now... being wheel-chair bound unfortunately
isn't your only problem right now. Hopefully you will get better in
some months but you want a vacation now-ish (I am assuming you don't
want to wait until summer since you mentioned that Manda can't take off
school).

So, maybe you should be thinking a little more low-key for the current
getaway. Maybe train instead of airplane. Maybe a few days with a
friend or in a little rented house somewhere? Somewhere local to some
interesting attractions which are small enough that they don't exhaust
you but unusual enough that they will stimulate you intellectually.
Or, maybe not even that much for now...maybe just a little place you can
rent so you can be somewhere different for a few days. On the ocean, in
the mountains, whatever, with a nice view?

Oh, here's a thought! What about a William Holland class? You could
write and see if they're wheelchair-accesible. You could get a new
setting, inspiration for your artwork, and meet some nice people!

Marisa2

Kathy N-V wrote:

I've been wondering why I've been feeling so caged lately, and it hit
me last night: I haven't taken a vacation in two years! Bob and
Amanda have gone off several times, but I haven't been well enough to
join them, and I didn't want to spoil their good time.

So now I want out. Someplace good. Ideally, it would be Germany,
but I think that would be too rigorous for me, and Bob does not want
to take two or three weeks off work (and Manda cannot go at all -
three weeks away from class would wreck her grades). And, as you all
know, I have plenty of restrictions keeping me here.

So, I'm asking for ideas: Where can I go, either alone or with Bob,
someplace that won't be too strenuous for me, and is loads of fun?
Any idea on making travel with chronic pain any easier? Can you
really travel alone in a wheelchair? (All this assumes that my
pulmonologist will give me clearance to fly. My lungs are reasonably
stable right now) I will not travel with my mother, even though she
has plenty of free time these days.

Assume that money is no object (even though it is). Are there any
ways that throwing money at this problem will make it do-able?

Any/all ideas welcomed,

Kathy N-V

Old November 7th 04, 06:55 PM
Armand Vine

Yes, you can travel alone in a w/c.
How about the coast of Maine, or a few days in a B&B in Vermont.
It has been 40 yrs since I was in Kennebunkport, but I have fond memories,
though I do not remember the terrain. I was really into sailboats then so
just interested in the harbor.
Armand

Old November 7th 04, 07:37 PM
susiegibson

day trips and short outings are maybe the thing.... fun short trips or
outings for a meal or a craft store ect- something fun like a museum trip or
a movie can provide some relief from cabin fever too....and be easier on the
health and family schedule....
you can rent a cab or have a companion go with you to make wheelchair access
easier ect......

I definately understand going stir crazy.........

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
[...]

---

Old November 7th 04, 08:49 PM
Arondelle

My 80-year-old mother-in-law is not wheelchair-bound, but she does need
one while traveling because of bad joints and weakness due to the stroke
she had several years ago. However, she toots around all over the
country visiting her far-flung family (Her 8+ siblings were all adopted
out when she was a young child; she now finds another new sib about
every other year) by air, apparently without difficulty. I think that
*not* being able to travel would kill her faster than actually doing it.

If I were going to go somewhere relaxing, I think I'd head for Arizona
-- or the Bahamas. The Islands were fairly inexpensive, way back when,
maybe not so much now. However, I can't think of anwhere else that
they've raised Doing Nothing to a fine art.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old November 7th 04, 09:13 PM
Karen_AZ

I think Armand's idea about a Maine B&B is a great idea. There are some
accessibility-oriented places around Bar Harbor, my Mom took my Dad there a
few years before he died and they had a great time.

I'm also wondering about a train trip. I know many of them are accessbile
and some of those panorama train trips are wonderful (another thing my folks
did together). And one more....a trip on the Delta Queen down the
Mississipi. I think my Dad had trouble at one dock, but the rest of the time
he had a blast.

I just found some cool websites:

http://www.disabilitytravel.com/
http://www.ability.org.uk/disabled_travel_usa.html
http://www.intraporta.com/pgs/handicap.shtml

Google 'handicapped accessible tours' and you can find bunches, but these
looke the best from the first three pages.

I agree with others who've mentioned it, I really want you to feel/be
healthier, but I sure can relate to the cabin fever you must be feeling!!!

Hugs and good travels,
KarenK

Old November 7th 04, 11:04 PM
Beadseeker

Kathy,
I have been on airplanes with people who were in wheelchairs. The airlines,
for the most part, were very accomodating. You just have to make arrangements
in advance for passenger assistance.
The last time I went to Paris, we were kept on the ground overnight and there
was a woman in a chair on the plane. Air France had an attendant standing by to
take her to the ladies room, etc.
I noticed after I was in a chair after breaking my foot that a lot of the
ramps (at least in NJ) are terrible - some of them have curbs in them. I don't
know if they are not inspected after they are put up or not, but it is not a
good situation. I would have had trouble if I was alone.
You will find various treatment - I will be forever grateful to the many
women who helped me in the ladies rooms, holding the chair, etc. And, then
there were the jerks who dropped doors on me, etc. All in all, it was an
education!
But, I wouldn't stay home for anything! I think it might be easier to fly
than go on trains since their steps are so high, I don't how their handicapped
access is, although they must have to conform to the Americans with
Disabilities act. I know the handicapped access in France is extremely
limited.
There are books on access vacations and Frommer probably has something about
it on his website.
If you go to a larger city, obviously, the access facilities will be better
than somewhere romote.
If you want to go somewhere closer to home, I enjoyed Gloucester and Cape Ann
(Bearskin Neck is fun), but you've probably been there many times.
Patti
Old November 7th 04, 11:16 PM
Cheri2Star

I've been wondering why I've been feeling so caged lately, and it hit
me last night: I haven't taken a vacation in two years! Bob and
Amanda have gone off several times, but I haven't been well enough to
join them

Disney World! Very handicapped friendly, lots to do and see and you can do it
in a long weekend. AND, there's no crowds this time of year. double bonus!

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 8th 04, 04:53 AM
Cheryl

Kathy-- how about a trip to someplace interesting on the East Coast

Williamsburg came to mind for me.

I was there once - and did not get to see all of the historical places - but it
sounded like fun. I did get to see one FIfe and Drum exhibition as I walked
through part of the old area... but didn't get into any of the buildings - as
it was late in the day.

The "old part" of town has guided tours.. and as I recall the sidewalks were
pretty good... I don't know if you'd be able to do the "complete" tour of some
of the buildings like the governor's mansion (second story etc) - but many of
them must be handicapped access - since the laws have pretty well been adapted
at historical sites.
I did find this link -- abou those with access disabilities, which confirmed my
guess about "second floor" access....
but there would still be a lot to see and do.
http://www.history.org/visit/planYou...accessibility/

Williamsburg starts doing the "holiday" thing about now - and I understand it's
beautiful there ...
Bet there would be a B&B someplace
and you, Bob and Manda could make a weekend or maybe a 3-4 day trip?

Internet information hunting on it makes it look good
oh - and Maybe if Amanda took a day or two "extra " off - you could get her
teachers to count it as "historical education" - I often did that with my
kids.... they would bring back pictures, make a poster, tell the class about
it....etc ....

http://www.history.org/history/

Jamestown is also nearby - an interesting visit - historically. Busch Gardens
Williamsburgh is there - but has closed for the season....

I suspect you would have to email any B&B you were intersted in - and ask about
handicap access...

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old November 8th 04, 06:34 PM
Cheri2Star

Williamsburg came to mind for me.

I'll come and meet you!

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi

OT Story - DD on her vacation. Debbie B Beads 15 April 26th 04 07:58 PM
Horror Vacation Update Beadbimbo Beads 0 April 20th 04 03:28 AM
OT - Advertising ideas help!! Mj Beads 14 January 24th 04 06:53 AM
OT(?): Any gift ideas? Marisa2 Beads 8 December 19th 03 08:04 PM