Old Dear quilter

Old March 22nd 04, 03:52 PM
oldhag

Default Old Dear quilter

A dear old quilter just died at the nursing facility where I work. She
lived a long life and many samples of her work were lovingly displayed
and used on her bed while she stayed with us. I sat with her the last
few nights of her life and was stitching my binding on to a crib quilt I
was making. (shhh don't tell my boss). Even though she was very weak and
fading in and out of conciuousness as her body slowly shut down she
managed to have short conversations with me and even had the presences
of mind to add comments about my work. She lived the last 5 years of her
life with us and this was when she finaly stopped making her quilts due
to her failing eyesight and arthritis. The last hour of her life she
started to talk to her husband and parents while she stitched an
imaginary quilt. I was very glad I could sit with her at the end and I
didn't have any interruptions so she would not be alone. I guess what I
am trying to say is that as quilters we never stop no matter how old and
tired we become.
Donna in NWOntario

Old March 22nd 04, 04:32 PM
Roberta Zollner

What a lovely story! We may all hope to have a fellow quilter along for the
last hours. And I think you were lucky to be there too.
Roberta in D

Old March 22nd 04, 04:32 PM
nana2b

What a lovely thing you did. Truly a blessing for you and the lady to have
you there.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old March 22nd 04, 10:30 PM
allyson brown

Donna,
I'm tearing up reading your story. Sounds like your calming presence
provided her with more comfort in the final hours/days than she would have
had otherwise. Your quilting was probably soothing and comforting to her,
allowing her to feel at peace while slipping away. You've done a great thing
for another human being.
I'd love to think someone would do the same for me someday.
From another old hag in Southern Ontario,
allyson

Old March 23rd 04, 01:30 AM
Ginger in CA

Consider that you stitched her memories in to the crib quilt. What a
nice treasure for the little recipient!

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA

Old March 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
Coleen

Donna --

What a touching story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so thankful
that you were able to share her last moments with her.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen