Organic fabric source needed

Old August 28th 03, 03:53 PM
duh who

"Charlie" wrote in message
But, unless that factory has no chemicals in it and the she where it's

sold
has no chemicals in it and then it must be transported in an air tight
container, what's the point when you're going to go home and expose it to
chemicals? I mean, everyone washes their clothes in chemicals, or washes
their hands in chemicals etc. So it's never going to be truely organic.
Besides, what's the difference between that and normal cotton? I'm not
trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand!

Being in the same air as chemically treated items, and being treated with
chemicals are two different things. Washing in "chemicals" and washing in
harmful "chemicals" are two different things.

Scented detergents and fabric softeners are toxic to some people (like me).
Formaldehyde used to treat fabrics are toxic. The dyes are toxic to some
people (not me yet). Dry-cleaning chemicals are very toxic.

I mean, water is a chemical. We're talking about chemicals that have been
shown to be harmful.

If you ever get sensitized to any of these things, you will learn very
quickly, hopefully.

Dwight

Old August 28th 03, 03:54 PM
S R Glickman

On 27 Aug 2003 10:25:16 -0700, (LucyD) wrote:

Anyone know where in the UK or Europe I can source organic fabrics
suitable for cushion making? I have only found a couple of places so
far, both expensive. Any ideas much appreciated.

Have you tried
www.greenfibres.com?

I think Cotton Comfort also sell material - www.eczemaclothing.com.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Susan

--

Please remove the 'x' to reply
Old August 28th 03, 04:02 PM
Charlie

Unfortunatly, yes I am sesitive to chemicals but not in the same way as you
described. I can still fortunatly put up with it. I'm allergic to
chlorineespecially, but my job is working at a swimming pool. Ah well, we
all have different opinions about different things.

charlie.

Old August 28th 03, 06:59 PM
Emilia

"duh who" wrote in
:

"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...
Charlie wrote:
Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides
used on

the
cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the first
type, unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

Yes, organically grown hemp might be cheaper. I don't know a source,

though,

jane

Would hemp be necessarily scratchier than linen?

There are some gorgeous hemps fabrics now. Like linen, it can come in
different textures, thinknesses, and stiffness, and "scrathiness".

I used to have a source bookmarked in my fabrics folder but I seemed to
have misplaced it... If I find it again, I'll post it.

Old August 28th 03, 07:03 PM
duh who

There are some gorgeous hemps fabrics now. Like linen, it can come in
different textures, thinknesses, and stiffness, and "scrathiness".

I used to have a source bookmarked in my fabrics folder but I seemed to
have misplaced it... If I find it again, I'll post it.

I had ordered a swatch booklet from Hemp Traders, but nothing in it struck
me as comfortable enough for a shirt. Maybe pants, but I've not been able
to master pants yet.

I know Dharma Trading near me has some hemp and hemp blend fabrics.

Old August 29th 03, 12:58 AM

Organic fabric source needed

(Charlie)
But, unless that factory has no chemicals in it and the she where it's
sold has no chemicals in it and then it must be transported in an air
tight container, what's the point when you're going to go home and
expose it to chemicals? I mean, everyone washes their clothes in
chemicals, or washes their hands in chemicals etc. So it's never going
to be truely organic. Besides, what's the difference between that and
normal cotton? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand!
Charlie.
---
Truthfully, Charlie: I have no clue.
My mantra is 'Better Chemicals For Daily Living!' joking, but there
are a lot of mid-30 Yuppies With Mucho Money who want Only The Best,
Purest Things for their newly started families, and they will spend
enormous sums on cottons which claim to be virgin to chemicals.
I've got a catalog from one such place, if I could just lay my hands
on it...it has products like a bit of clothesline with accompanying
wooden pins, and the caption: "Environmentally Friendly Clothes Dryer',
and a totally hilarious, sky-high price. Ditto the 'Recycle Your Veggie
Parings' product: a stainless steel thingie with a lid, a mere $60.00 or
some such. Can you say: 'Bucket With a Lid', which contains debris soon
to be buried in the back yard?
I think I see your point--we've polluted the oceans, our cities, the
air we breathe, yet some of us think sleeping on/and in 'pure' fibers
will keep us safe. I think there may be some sort of wishful thinking
here--pure cotton/fibers as a charm against the evils of modern life.
Curing the big issues seems so out of our control, so impossible, yet
here is some small thing they can control.
Many homes do indeed make their inhabitants suffer from over-exposure
to chemicals, and it is far from a joking matter, but, IMHO, the cure
lies in controlling what types of products go into the actual
construction of the house. Vinyls, wallboard, pressed wood chip
cabinets, carpeting: all these things outgas chemical fumes for years.
Pressure treated lumber is treated with arsenic, which is a proven
carcinogen. It has just now begun to be banned here for use in
constructing children's outdoor play swings and such. In the meantime,
though, many schools have these very expensive, toxic play areas which
are still used by our children.
Cea surrounded by dust bunnies and chemically treated
fabric of all sorts, which defy both description and cataloguing

Old August 29th 03, 11:10 AM

Charlie wrote:
I think that was really well put. As for all this organic, "healthier
living" this is what my Nan says. "If I'm bloody healty and I'm 80, if my
mum lived to 100 and at that age she could still do everything she wanted
to, and if everyone in my generation managed to survive without all these
wonderful things, then why on earth do we *need* them?".

Well, if you don't need them, you should be thankful for your good
health, I think. I do know of people who need organic stuff, all
natural fibers stuff, or whatever because of health problems. I don't
need it, but I'm glad it's available for those who do.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old August 29th 03, 04:04 PM
Charlie

I dunno. I know some people will see this as odd, but I think if we've
suvived as a human race for thousands of years, then I don't see what the
fuss is about now. All these celebrities telling us that we need this and
we need that to ensure our health. Seems odd to me.

Charlie.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old August 29th 03, 04:10 PM
Charlotte Henson

Your Nan is healthy at 80 and my Aunt Charlotte's still spry at 92. The
ones who *did* need it aren't here to tell you about that. It isn't fair
to ask your Nan.

-Charlotte

Old August 29th 03, 04:31 PM
Sally Holmes

Charlie wrote:
I dunno. I know some people will see this as odd, but I think if
we've suvived as a human race for thousands of years, then I don't
see what the fuss is about now. All these celebrities telling us
that we need this and we need that to ensure our health. Seems odd
to me.

But we haven't had cars and fridges and technology and heavy industries for
thousands of years. The world is a very different place now and we've made
it so. Perhaps we should all try to do our little bit not to continue raping
the planet - turn the light off when you're not in the room, don't use more
water than you need, try to use fewer chemicals. It makes good sense if we
want to leave our children and grandchildren a place to live in.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Winter Wonderland Swap frood Quilting 3 November 13th 04 02:04 AM
Fabric Shopping in Paris Natalie Quilting 9 October 13th 04 05:59 PM
Source needed for tag board Pitcairnia Glass 2 April 17th 04 01:52 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM