cutting your own basswood?

Old January 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
Steve

Default cutting your own basswood?

I have basswood trees available for me to cut locally, but am not sure of
the best way to properly season the wood for carving. It seems to me that
now would be the best time to cut the trees because the sap isn't running in
winter. Is this assumption correct? Also should I leave it in logs to cure
or should I rough it into blanks sized for carving? Is it benificial to wax
or paint the ends to stop cracking? My plan is to stack it in the basement
where it is warm and dry.
About how long do you think it would take 2 or 3 inch thick peices to be
ready for carving? Have any of you had luck carving green basswood without
it cracking and ruining your carvings?
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject, Steve

Old January 23rd 04, 12:23 AM
John O. Kopf

Check a local sawyer; find out when *he* logs out Basswood.

DEBARK, and cut to rough size immediately (critters in the bark may EAT
it up otherwise!) Definitely paint the ends (good use for all those old
partial buckets of paint).

Allow 1 year per INCH OF THICKNESS for seasoning (less if you forced it
in a kiln).

JK

Old January 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:45:36 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

I have basswood trees available for me to cut locally, but am not sure of
the best way to properly season the wood for carving.

IMHE, basswood is one of the easiest timbers to season. I've got
air-dried slabs of it here, 4" thick, 6 or 7 years old (but was dry
some time before this - year an inch is probably generous). There's a
little checking at the ends, but it doesn't go far and the middle of
the log is unaffected. All that it had done was the ends sealed, then
stacked and stickered as usual.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:48 AM
George

Extremely generous. But that points up one difficulty with seasoning this
time of year - it's too dry indoors most places. If you bring even a winter
cut (dryer) piece indoors right now, you could have checking and
case-hardening problems.

My recommendation, if in a cool climate, drop the bass 1 month before the
end of heating season, prepare your blocks or planks with sealed ends, and
bring them in when the RH is climbing. Two winters indoors will take 4"
stuff down below 12%, which is OK for carving in most places.

Don't leave the wood "in the log" too long after felling. Bass browns
quickly.

news

Old January 23rd 04, 12:05 PM
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:48:55 -0500, "George"
wrote:

Extremely generous. But that points up one difficulty with seasoning this
time of year - it's too dry indoors most places.

I'm in the UK. Winter is only moderately cold, but damp. These
boards were stored in a well-ventilated unheated shed.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:52 PM
George

Sounds like you meet the New England "rule of thumb" drying instructions to
a "T."

Now the OP might not....

Old January 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Princebilly1

best way is if you live next to a stream or river. Tie the wood up and throw it
in, Seasons in a quarter of the time if the currant runs over it..

Steve
Old January 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
RJA

Basswood is usually cut during the cold season when the sap is down.
This gives a much better color wood and can remain in the log for some
time without spoiling as long as it is cold. Basswood will spoil very
quickly in the log during hot weather but if milled immediately the wood
will be acceptable for carving. Summer cut wood will get yellowish
streaks or discoloration even if it is milled and dried properly. The
wood needs to be milled and stickered where adequate air can get through
the packet. The winter cut and stacked wood will start drying if air
can get through the packet but the top layer should either be throw away
wood or possibly tin covering to prevent moisture from getting into the
pile. The sides must be open for air circulation. The thicker pieces
(over 2") should be sealed on the ends to cut down the checking.
The year per inch is a very favorable time but can be shortened by
moving air with a fan or placing in a solar type environment. I work
with a fellow that initially dries the wood in the open air for several
months (wood cut in winter dry over the summer) then puts the wood
into the loft of an old dairy barn for the final drying. We have been
processing several 1K feet of Northern basswood for the past several years.
Dick

Steve wrote:
I have basswood trees available for me to cut locally, but am not sure of
the best way to properly season the wood for carving. It seems to me that
now would be the best time to cut the trees because the sap isn't running in
winter. Is this assumption correct? Also should I leave it in logs to cure
or should I rough it into blanks sized for carving? Is it benificial to wax
or paint the ends to stop cracking? My plan is to stack it in the basement
where it is warm and dry.
About how long do you think it would take 2 or 3 inch thick peices to be
ready for carving? Have any of you had luck carving green basswood without
it cracking and ruining your carvings?
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject, Steve

Swarovski cutting through fireline question Marisa Cappetta Beads 4 August 22nd 04 07:31 PM
Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Microscope Slide - Glass Cutting Jig MaryJLind Beads 6 September 10th 03 02:03 PM
cutting softflex LiisaAnn Beads 1 July 8th 03 08:42 PM