Knitting with fine cotton

Old January 29th 04, 10:16 PM
Amber

Default Knitting with fine cotton

I'm working on a christening gown using Coats Opera size 20 cotton on 2 mm
needles.

Though I'm usually a tight knitter, I'm finding I need to give the working
yarn (thread, really, I guess) a little tug after each stitch to keep my
tension even and stitches tidy. Not only is this slowing me down
considerably, but I'm finding my hands are getting tired fairly quickly.

Anyone have any suggestions to make this faster and less painful?

Thanks.

Amber

Old January 29th 04, 11:11 PM
Lucille

I had the same problem when I worked with very fine cotton thread. I tried
smaller needles but it really didn't help. I'm afraid the only thing you
can do is to give it a tug as you've been doing.

I swore I would never make anything like that again, but it did come out
really beautiful.

Lucille

Old January 29th 04, 11:59 PM
JJMolvik

"Amber" wrote in message ...
I'm working on a christening gown using Coats Opera size 20 cotton on 2 mm
needles.

Though I'm usually a tight knitter, I'm finding I need to give the

working
yarn (thread, really, I guess) a little tug after each stitch to keep my
tension even and stitches tidy. Not only is this slowing me down
considerably, but I'm finding my hands are getting tired fairly quickly.

Anyone have any suggestions to make this faster and less painful?

Thanks.

Amber

My only suggestion would be to wrap it around a/the/finger (or another
finger) one more time to give you more tension on the lead-in. Just off the
top of my head as I haven't worked with thread in knitting yet.

JJMolvik

Old January 30th 04, 05:51 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I had the same problem than came up with this idea , i put my thread
higher than me , took a plastic meshed net with big holes threaded the
cotton through and hung it over my chair ,, somehow coming from above
, No tension ,,,, helped it , you might try if it works for you.
mirjam

Old January 30th 04, 10:22 AM
Sarah Grace

Amber wrote:
Though I'm usually a tight knitter, I'm finding I need to give the working
yarn (thread, really, I guess) a little tug after each stitch to keep my
tension even and stitches tidy. Not only is this slowing me down
considerably, but I'm finding my hands are getting tired fairly quickly.

Anyone have any suggestions to make this faster and less painful?

Hi Amber

How is your gauge? I just wondered whether you could try working on either 1
or two smaller needles. Apart from that, are you anchoring the yarn around
your fingers- i anchor around my ring fingers and find it helps considerably.
Good luck.

Regards
Sarah
Old January 30th 04, 02:24 PM
Lucille

Hi Mirjam,
What a good idea -- I'm going to experiment with hanging the thread over the
back of the chair and see if it makes a difference. I think it will and
can't wait to try.
Lucille

Old January 30th 04, 03:02 PM
Amber

AHA! This works! This should speed things up considerably -- one less
movement, since I don't have to tug on the working thread. Funny how the
obvious is so often missed by the one having the problem . . . Thanks so
much.

Amber

Old January 30th 04, 03:18 PM
Amber

Hi Sarah Grace,

The gauge was good, provided that I gave that little tug! I don't have
anything smaller on hand than 2mm (U.S. 0, U.K. 14) -- I think smaller than
that is probably only available from places that deal in lace knitting
supplies, or at least not very widely available.

I was using my normal (wool) knitting technique -- over the middle finger,
over the little finger, under the rest. As you (and JJMolvik) point out, I
have much greater control now, after wrapping the thread around the middle
finger, instead of just over it.

So, this is going much more quickly now -- thanks so much for your help.

Amber

Old January 30th 04, 03:29 PM
Lucille

A little lace dress for my little girl. It was lovely, with a full skirt
and puffy sleeves and was worn with a taffeta slip underneath. This was
back in the days when little girls wore that kind of frilly dress for a very
special occasion; in that case it was a wedding. Fortunately the dresses at
that time were short enough to have a little girl's panties sticking out and
were worn with socks and patent leather mary jane shoes.
Lucille