Adding to the electrical after the fact?

Old March 1st 04, 10:04 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Adding to the electrical after the fact?

Ok, I just got the electrical starter kit (now if only the rest of the
supplies would arrive, then I can get started!). I know I have to plan
for all outlets and light fixtures now, and that's no problem.

But, the kit doesn't come with the larger brads for the outlets, nor
does it come with switches to individually switch rooms. Can switches
and outlets be added after I wire and then wallpaper over the tape?
Or do I have to have those on hand ahead of time, too?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 2nd 04, 12:00 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I just got the electrical starter kit (now if only the rest of the
supplies would arrive, then I can get started!). I know I have to plan
for all outlets and light fixtures now, and that's no problem.

But, the kit doesn't come with the larger brads for the outlets, nor
does it come with switches to individually switch rooms. Can switches
and outlets be added after I wire and then wallpaper over the tape?
Or do I have to have those on hand ahead of time, too?

Cathy Weeks

Let me start by saying that I had very bad luck with the switches and
decided not to use them. They continually broke. Maybe they've improved
them in the last few years. Another thing I didn't like about it is that
you had to run the tape up the wall in order to install the switch.

Outlets should be added after wallpapering. You don't want the tape to go
over the wallpaper unless you are doing it the way I do it by running the
tape on the floor and then up a bit over the baseboard.

With the tape under the wallpaper you have to find it. You should always
1)put the tape at the same height from the floor in all the rooms and 2)
take pictures of each room after you tapewire and before papering. This
will at least give you a general idea on where the tape is located.

You need a tester - a two pronged thingy with a light on it that will light
up when the prongs are placed in the correct position on the tape. You then
use the prong marks as a guide for the outlets.

You should be able to order grommets and the tester from the same place you
ordered the kit.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old March 2nd 04, 01:37 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Carol" wrote in message thlink.net...

Let me start by saying that I had very bad luck with the switches and
decided not to use them. They continually broke. Maybe they've improved
them in the last few years. Another thing I didn't like about it is that
you had to run the tape up the wall in order to install the switch.

I've no clue about improvements... were they a toggle switch, or a
slide switch? The slides are what is available at the moment. The
cirKit page says the problem with the toggles is that the tiny
switches break off during install.

Good to know though. Maybe I'll just focus on learning the wiring and
doing the outlets this time.

Thanks,

Cathy Weeks
Old March 2nd 04, 01:51 PM
Cathy Weeks

You need a tester - a two pronged thingy with a light on it that will light
up when the prongs are placed in the correct position on the tape. You then
use the prong marks as a guide for the outlets.

Actually a tester came with the kit.

You should be able to order grommets and the tester from the same place you
ordered the kit.

So I do need the outlet grommets for the outlets prior to wall papering?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 2nd 04, 01:54 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...

I've no clue about improvements... were they a toggle switch, or a
slide switch? The slides are what is available at the moment. The
cirKit page says the problem with the toggles is that the tiny
switches break off during install.

Good to know though. Maybe I'll just focus on learning the wiring and
doing the outlets this time.

Thanks,

Cathy Weeks

They were slide switches. There were 2 problems - they are flimsy and
trying to get them in the tapewire required some banging and they would
break. If they didn't break the switch would break after a short time.

--
Regards,
Carol

Old March 2nd 04, 01:55 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...

So I do need the outlet grommets for the outlets prior to wall papering?

Cathy Weeks

No. You can do it after using the tester to locate the tapewire.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old March 3rd 04, 06:07 PM
Millie

(Cathy Weeks) wrote in message om...
Ok, I just got the electrical starter kit (now if only the rest of the
supplies would arrive, then I can get started!). I know I have to plan
for all outlets and light fixtures now, and that's no problem.

But, the kit doesn't come with the larger brads for the outlets, nor
does it come with switches to individually switch rooms. Can switches
and outlets be added after I wire and then wallpaper over the tape?
Or do I have to have those on hand ahead of time, too?

Cathy Weeks

You can add later and as you suggest wallpaper over the tape,
however...If you wish to take this old persons advice do as follows.
I used to give electrical classes when Cir-kit began and my house has
the switches etc,....The plugs, were so small that after a time they
did not work!...So..I gave up and used the larger ones, which were
always behind dressers, under tables etc. The switches I used only
in the front of the dolls house (front meaning rooms viewing fronts)
They were most impressive and easily used and seen. I did this
because everyone and I do mean everyone had trouble with these items.
Now, with the house gathering age and myself as well I sure am glad I
took that course. ALSO....You have to solder...or it's best you do .
Hopefully this will help you. Remember that this advice is for the
many, not for the few that excell.
Just as an added note, I used the brass door knobs and installed
them so that several of the doors open and close with the striker
plates. This is still working and is cute and effective. You may
wish to do this.
Old March 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Carol

"Millie" wrote in message
om...

....The plugs, were so small that after a time they
did not work!...So..I gave up and used the larger ones, which were
always behind dressers, under tables etc.

I have never had a problem with the plugs. My house is now about 10 years
old and the outlets and plugs still work fine. I find that the big plugs
are much too big and often don't sit properly in the gromets.

I only used the grommets to attach lights when I'm hanging a chandelier. I
run the wire through the ceiling and attach it to tape wire running on the
floor belor.
,
Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old March 3rd 04, 11:01 PM
Millie

"Carol" wrote in message thlink.net...
"Millie" wrote in message
om...

...The plugs, were so small that after a time they
did not work!...So..I gave up and used the larger ones, which were
always behind dressers, under tables etc.

I have never had a problem with the plugs. My house is now about 10 years
old and the outlets and plugs still work fine. I find that the big plugs
are much too big and often don't sit properly in the gromets.

I only used the grommets to attach lights when I'm hanging a chandelier. I
run the wire through the ceiling and attach it to tape wire running on the
floor belor.
,
Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

gee, good for you!

I am a former lighting instructor, what are your credentials?