bad etiquette?

Old January 5th 05, 08:05 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Giggle !! Now there is a point , Katherine God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
LOL I don't think she rested - I think she was exhausted! g

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine - now I am confused - I always thought God was a man
because he rested on the seventh day and a woman can never do that!!!
God Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Ranee Mueller wrote:
In article L6eCd.22779$rL3.6051@trnddc03, "Betty"
wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to find a church were everyone knits? Maybe
that's what heaven will be like.

I'm sure it will. After all God is a Knitter, He knit us in our
mother's wombs.

This is true, and one of the quotes I use to "prove" that God is a
woman. g

Katherine

Old January 5th 05, 08:44 AM
cher

LOL... I can imagine this Mirjam...Cher x

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Many years ago , i studied in the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. In
Modern History class with Proffesor Talmon [" What Lead to WW2,
Totalitarian States"] . The lecture was very popular , and one had to
Catch a place ,,, Of course at those times some female students
knitted. Proffsessor Talmon . short Napoleonic Figure [ and yes He
would walk with one hand in his shirt at times !!!] Extremely
Charismatic, Raised one day his voice and pointed at a Blond student
who was knitting ,,,, and spoke about the women who knitted by the
Guiliotine in France during the Revolution !!! Than he said asked her
to Raise her knitting , and show it to all !!! one day same woman
lost her necklace ,, many beads rolled all over the lecture hall ,,,
everybody laughed and many ducked to collect her beads ,,,,';I hope
you knitting is better made than this necklace`s thread !!!!was the
comment of the proffesor ..
mirjam

I would think that as a believer one would believe then that God gave you
this talent, and therefore you are bringing your craft to his house to

share
with him. I guess so long as it isn't a long complicated pattern that

needs
your undivided attention, and you don't stand up in the middle of a

sermon
and shout out....For goodness sake shut up a minute....or similar,

nothing
would be made of of...

Cheers.....cher x

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Mirjam I always thought Bus Stops, Train Stations, and waiting rooms,

train
journeys and picture theatres ( to mention only a few of lots of

places)
were really built for us to enjoy knitting etc while in the area !!!!

How
boring to just *sit* there!!! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I Rememberin former times , that in kieboets meetings almost all the
women knitted [ and the odd man as well] , This was the only way to
get sweaters as times were hard . You got cupons for the amount of
wool and if you hadn`t a mate you were asked to knit for one of the
single man as well. Of course all kids had knited sweaters which were
handed down as soon as one outgrew them. And you saw woman knitting

in
buses , in the waiting rooms etc... it is coming back now [ of course
many of us never stopped , only moderated the places we did it !!!] .
Strangely enough when we were in the USA 20 ++ years ago i sat and
knitted several times i was told by Usa women that it was Primitive
behaviour [ i am sure many of those are now Primitivized themselves
and knit as well !!!] , I know some women who are around my age who
still think so ,, that it sort of " isn`t Done"[ i am not speaking
about Church ,and such places but waiting rooms etc]. There was a
time that even the feminist movement saw it as a form of enslaving
one`s time ,, now that we can relax some of our Feminist idea [ not
that we have all the rights] , we can expect other to understand that
this is a FREE CHOICE of us to use those minutes or hours , with

doing
something we DO ENJOY , as well as it is making some essential to our
way of life ,,,
mirjam

Old January 5th 05, 08:49 AM
cher

Hi Kira,
Our church was like that, and our littleones do what they want afterwards
with sunday school tutors with them, most of them sit at the back colouring
or drawing. Our old Vicar, used to say, when a baby in the congregation
cried.. "Now don't try to quiet the baby, God likes to hear them singing
too!" I was a child then, and thought, I bet if I made a noise I'd get
frowned at!

Multitasking.
I can't knit or crochet unless I'm listening to a radio or tv. Must be the
way we first started learning I suppose, or perhaps it is because I had six
children, and there was always lots of distractions that I learnt to go with
it all..

Cheers.....cher x

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message
On 03 Jan 2005 06:10:34 GMT, t (JudyTurpin) wrote:

What we do is to have the kids (over about 2) come in the chapel for the

first
part of the service. The pastor then takes time to sit on the floor with

them
and talk with them and tell them a story and lead a prayer. After that

they
are excused for special activities and we proceed with sermon etc. There

is
usually a nursery for the really little ones. We are a small church and

that
works for us. We want the kids to feel like they are a part of the

church
family - but all of us are happier if they don't have to sit through all

of it
before they are ready to participate.

That is what we do, too. After the children's story we adults sing
them out of the sanctuary and to their classes, maybe three separate
age-appropriate groups.
We did have a knitter... making Harry Potter scarves (burgundy and
gold for .... oh oh, now I can't remember Harry Potter's house). No
one cared. My church is Unitarian-Universalist, so Harry Potter
would be quite well accepted.
However, I found that when I tried to knit at a recent gathering of
one of my women's groups, I kept goofing up and having to rip it out.
I just can't "multi-task", I guess. ha ha
Kira

Old January 5th 05, 02:08 PM
Laura J

Hi Mirjam,

When were you in Boston? I'm sorry people were so rude to you--that would
certainly not be the case today. One of the things that inspired me to pick
up knitting was when a woman in a coffee shop asked if I knew how to knit
because she needed help with something. I sadly had to say that I didn't
but the woman standing next to me piped in and helped her out. After that I
was determined to learn so I would not be caught at a loss again! And just
last week I looked up all the knitting shops in the area trying to track
down some yarn and discovered there are 13 shops within a half-hour drive of
me. So I would say that your knitting/weaving/whatever would be more than
welcome here today!

LauraJ
Boston, MA

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I was in BOSTON ,, Mass,,,,, and people several times remarked this
??? have no clue why ,, not that it bothered me much.. one time when
it was rude , i signed to her that i didn`t speak English ,, so she
turned to the woman next to her and said something about 'This
Foreigner".....
Of course in BU i was in PIA and studied Weaving and was ENCOURAGED to
knit and Crochet , but once my teacher saw my abilities [ experience]
he encouraged me to help the others !!!!
mirjam

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 07:55:09 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Strangely enough when we were in the USA 20 ++ years ago i sat and
knitted several times i was told by Usa women that it was Primitive
behaviour [ i am sure many of those are now Primitivized themselves
and knit as well !!!]

I don't know where you were in the US. I lived there for over 50
years, until 6 years ago, and anywhere I was knitting was always
accepted behavior. When I was at university, some of my fellow
students used to knit during lectures.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero
dot it.

Old January 5th 05, 02:22 PM
Janise Ross

Laura,
Are you in the Boston area? I don't remember. If so, could you make a
list of the 13 shops nearby, and either list them here to send them to me
privately. My DD#1 lives in W. Roxbury, so either I could send her to
various stores, or whenever I might visit her, we could have an outing.

Janise

Old January 5th 05, 10:32 PM
Judy Kerr

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message

snip
We did have a knitter... making Harry Potter scarves (burgundy and
gold for .... oh oh, now I can't remember Harry Potter's house). No
one cared. My church is Unitarian-Universalist, so Harry Potter
would be quite well accepted.

snip

Now that's interesting. I attend an unprogrammed Quaker meeting, i.e. there
is no service - we worship in silence unless someone present is "moved" to
minister. Although a few of them would probably feel that you couldn't
really knit *and* be focussed on the worship, I think most of the people
would accept it there, too.

Judy in UK
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old January 6th 05, 06:43 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

All ladies i don`t see this file ????thus i will have to reprint all
my answers ,, but now i have to do something else ,, thus during the
day i will do it ,,,
mirjam

Old January 6th 05, 07:42 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Noreen's
Knit*che wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:06:22 -0800, Els van Dam wrote:

Roaring with laughter....Noreen, I can't see how she would be in

trouble......,

I can't see why you can't knit during a church sermon....as long as you
are respectful and listening, I would think it OK, do take in account that
I am not a church goer

Els

Els, the person I *saw* doing it was my own mother! Yes, as a kid, when I
was Catholic (I'm not now, btw), my mom was really into making the
crocheted edges on the priest's cossacks... this particular priest was a
family friend, and he admired the lace edgings on most European priests
cossacks (which were *probably* bobbinlace or tatted), so my mom took it
upon herself to crochet lace edgings for him! (Nowadays methinks *she*
thought she could buy her way into heaven, grin!)
Anyway, she DID finish one in Church!
LOL,
Noreen

Good for her, what a great way to get through the pearly gates.....I am
sure there will be a good spot for her and that she can bring her crochet
hook and yarns with her.....(laughing)

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

OT - dress code etiquette Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 24 December 4th 04 12:29 AM
Guild Etiquette Sharon Gates Quilting 26 September 24th 04 02:03 PM
etiquette and large dead things bogus address Quilting 3 September 24th 04 12:39 AM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM