bad etiquette?

Old January 4th 05, 03:06 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Ranee, as Katherine said - knitting is church would be a no no to me but as
for the mobile phone , words cannot describe how badly I feel about that
intrusion - even an emergency need not lead into a discussion. God Bless
Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
In article ,
(Beinchat) wrote:

My sister was sitting next to a woman in church when the womans cell
phone started ringing. Unbelievably, she actually answered it and
started having a long conversation with the caller!!!!

This always amazes me. Obviously, one would understand if the person
were on call and this were an emergency or something, but those people
leave so they won't be a distraction, and they turn their phones to buzz
them rather than ring. It's the folks blathering on about whatever
idiocy occurs to them now that let it ring and talk over all around them.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at:
http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Old January 4th 05, 03:33 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Gwen Kelly

"Aud" wrote in message

"spampot" skrev i melding
Katherine wrote:
Allaya Diep wrote:

I think that it is bad etiquette, Allaya. There are places to knit
and places not to knit, and church is one of the "not" places. Just
MHO, of course.

Katherine

I'm with you, Katherine. I'd be shocked if I saw someone knitting in
church -- but then I'm shocked when I see people who bring in coloring
books to occupy their child during Mass (that's what the church
nursery is for!). I would also find it very distracting to have that
kind of motion going on near me as I was trying to focus on the
service.

It would have been very bad etiquette here!
AND speaking for myself,
(and probabely some more of my RCTY-friends!LOL!):
I am from time to time "a frenetic knitter".
IF I would take a knitting to church, it would be in those periodes;
thinking of ONE thing, HOW will it look like, will it be as i want it
too?
Will I soon get it finished)
IF I cannot "park" this obsession at home, I'd better not go to church,
I think!
AUD ;-))

Old January 4th 05, 03:43 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Johanna, you are certainly not misunderstood - I agree wholeheartedly with
you. I also think the time to teach this - and therefore have respectful
adults - is at the time a child is old enough to sit up. I bought my DD#1 a
cloth book with holy pictures in it and she was not allowed to have it at
home - it was for "church" and so it kept her interest. Since I abhore
people constantly picking up dummies, rattles, books, keys, food ,fruit,
drink bottles etc etc in church , I tied this book on to the front of the
stroller in which my daughter sat at the end of a pew and so if she dared to
throw it down she had to haul it back herself without any disturbance to
anyone. By the time she could sit up on the church pew she had already
realised that she had to be still and quiet - so I never had a problem and
the book was passed down to #2DD whereit served the same purpose. Guess I
was a tough mum but the children appreciated it right into adulthood -
always remarking on how they had been taught to behave in public.

Off my soap box God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Johanna Koski" wrote in message

I always thought it would be considered "bad etiquette" to knit in

church.
Not that I know much about these things, but it was just something I

dared
not do. But a couple of weeks ago, I saw somebody else doing

it...knitting
in church! For those of you more experienced, is it okay to do this, or

is
it sorta rude? It was around Christmas, so maybe she had to finish
something up. *shrug*

I'm not a churchperson my self, I go to church maybe once-twice in a
year. I think that church is a place where you go to have quiet time and
"relaxing" (hard to find proper words, I hope I'm not misunderstood),
not to *do* something.

But that's just my point of view. There are persons who keep their
cellphones open in churches, movies, concerts etc...

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe

Old January 4th 05, 04:10 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Sampot - certainly no flames from here !! I agree - but then I will expect
much more flame because I do not believe that there are children who will
not be quiet and still , there are only parents who will not train them to
be quiet and still and never to touch things that are not theirs , this
latter would stop all the scribbling on the church hymn books etc. (If you
do not believe this just watch them at the TV --- and they do not
understand half the shows they are watching that's for sure -- but they are
still quiet)

Such training is not only for the child - it gives the parent the pleasure
of being able to take the children anywhere and know that they will be
accepted because of their good behaviour and it also lets the adults have an
enjoyable time either at church or visiting friends etc etc.

Since noisy behaviour is now the prevalent , then I guess a nursery or
such is a great thing - but does this give a reason why young people are not
attending churches in the numbers they used to - they are not taken to
church from birth and so they would naturally think it should not be an
important part of their young life. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"spampot" wrote in message
Laura wrote:
I don't, and wouldn't. But it wouldn't bother me if somebody else
did...

And most in a previous church consider it perfectly acceptable to have
crayons and coloring pad for children (I don't, I'd rather have the
children in the nursery) but I have allowed it for my own children -
even though I don't agree...

Just way too much work to keep them satisfied without something to
occupy them, and far more distracting to have two wiggly children than
some knitting needles!

Laura M

I know I'll be flamed for this, but church is for prayer and meditation,
and I feel that if children can't sit still during it, they should be
left with a babysitter or taken to whatever facility is available (our
church has a nursery or "children's chapel") -- it's VERY distracting to
have children talking out loud or arguing over crayons when one's trying
to concentrate on the service.

Old January 4th 05, 04:15 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine - now I am confused - I always thought God was a man because he
rested on the seventh day and a woman can never do that!!! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Ranee Mueller wrote:
In article L6eCd.22779$rL3.6051@trnddc03, "Betty"
wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to find a church were everyone knits? Maybe
that's what heaven will be like.

I'm sure it will. After all God is a Knitter, He knit us in our
mother's wombs.

This is true, and one of the quotes I use to "prove" that God is a woman.

Katherine

Old January 4th 05, 04:21 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Good for you Ranee - you little two year old will remember these times even
when he is grown up and will never forget how to behave in Church or for
that matter in anyone's company. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
In article , "Seaspray"
wrote:

It is extremely hard and almost impossible for small children to sit

still
for an hour or so. I always had something in my pocketbook for waiting
times, church, appointments, etc. Crayons, pads of paper, little

activity
books, small snack, etc. really can be a salvation for a parent. I would
recommend it to anyone with small children.

Maybe this is because we go to a liturgical church, but it isn't that
hard for our kids, and our services are longer than an hour and we have
no nursery. We just teach them the music, the order of service, when to
sit, stand, kneel, bow, the prayers, etc, so they can participate as
well. Even our two year old knows the flow of the service and when we
start singing before the Gospel reading, he sings and holds up his
Psalter like the priest holding up the Gospel book.

Regards,
Ranee

Old January 4th 05, 05:09 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Ranee, once again I have to say I truly agree with what you are said - and
you expressed it perfectly God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
In article , B
wrote:

The younger children have pretty much free reign in the church. You
see little toddlers sitting beside the altar with their pacifiers in
their mouths. Once the priest backed up a bit and stepped on a baby's
hand. (not hard enough to do any damage.) If they get really loud
their parents usually take them outside, but you can't stay out there
very long in the winter.

I love seeing the children in church. They grow up loving the place,
because it's their place as much as it is the grownups' place. They
gradually learn to be quiet and look forward to the day when they're
big enough to join the "big kids" and keep quiet.

If you are accustomed to little ones moving around, you learn how to
concentrate in spite of their movements. Remember that Jesus reproved
his disciples when they tried to remove the little kids from the group
that had come to listen to him.

I agree with this to a point, I don't think the kids should have free
reign. I don't really think anyone should, it's not for our
entertainment. I think children should be welcome, and that they should
be trained to participate in whatever form the worship comes in, both by
their families and by the church/synagogue in general. It is good that
the priest talks to the children and gains their love, but that is a
method of training them not merely indulging them.

Regards,
Ranee

Old January 4th 05, 05:15 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Barbara I agree with the first part - as it is said " give me a child until
he is five etc" and if they have not learnt to keep quiet and still by then
it is too late - so having this age group of children near the altar for the
Mass/service is very good - since by now they know how to behave they do not
disturb anyone and they can see what is going on and are better able to hear
as well.

However for the other part I think I have already given my thoughts - but as
Katherine said it would be a funny place if we were all the same. God
Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
B Vaughan wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:28:23 -0500, spampot wrote:

I know I'll be flamed for this, but church is for prayer and
meditation, and I feel that if children can't sit still during it,
they should be left with a babysitter or taken to whatever facility
is available (our church has a nursery or "children's chapel") --
it's VERY distracting to have children talking out loud or arguing
over crayons when one's trying to concentrate on the service.

I don't want to flame anybody, but I have a different viewpoint.

I attend a small country church in Italy, which has no baby-sitting
facility and no room to put one in. Our church is full of children of
all ages. Those of age 5 or so and up all sit together in a special
section near the altar and the priest tries to make sure his homily
engages them at least a little. He is known to pause to tell them he
can see their attention is wandering but he reminds them gently to
concentrate a bit longer. They all love him dearly and try their best.
After the service, he pulls out a basket of candies to offer to the
children and says he considers this a part of the liturgy.

[...]

ANd that works in your church, Barbara, and I think it is wonderful! It

does
not work in mine. But then, things would be really boring if we were all

the
same, wouldn't they?

Katherine

Old January 4th 05, 05:35 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Ooooo ! Katherine You have made me realise one thing for certain - that is
that I have *bravely???* given my opinion here but I am far too chicken to
tell it to a few in church - even adults to who insist on talking - I have
to admit that DD#2 has no such inhibitions ( guess she remembers her
childhood ) Once at Midnight Mass in the Cathedral in Salzburg she turned
around and told a couple that " this is a church and most of us wish to hear
Mass and therefore would appreciate it if you kept your conversations until
later" God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
spampot wrote:

wrote:
[...]

of the liturgy. The younger children have pretty much free reign in

[...]

Exactly, Katherine. Obviously the mother in your church is missing
the point if she doesn't take her disruptive kid into the parents'
room! I know no one likes to make a fuss in church, but surely
someone should speak to that mother.

I wouldn't dare! I am brave, but not that brave!

Katherine

Old January 4th 05, 07:46 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

We had this in a conffference it was very annoying .
mirjam

My sister was sitting next to a woman in church when the womans cell phone
started ringing. Unbelievably, she actually answered it and started having a
long conversation with the caller!!!!
Marie and the cats

OT - dress code etiquette Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 24 December 4th 04 12:29 AM
Guild Etiquette Sharon Gates Quilting 26 September 24th 04 02:03 PM
etiquette and large dead things bogus address Quilting 3 September 24th 04 12:39 AM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM