bad etiquette?

Old January 8th 05, 04:56 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els,
I have to confess, I use my cell phone, but not in church. I turn it off
then, and when I go to the Arts Centre or when we are out with friends. I
have it for my convenience, not so that people can reach me.

Katherine

Cell phones are very handy and have their uses. So it is maybe as it is
with so many things, not to abuse the use of it....(badly said, but I
just can't find the correct or right term at the moment) The kids bought
us one to use in an emergency, but Otto and I could never get it to work
when we needed it, we have long given up on it and do without. I hate
them when you are in a restaurant or other semi public place and all of a
sudden you are in the middle of a chit chat that takes over my private
space, e.g. bus or even in the super market. It is very invasive I find.
It certainly is infuriating during a concert or play. Still, that does
not mean that thay are not handy and have good uses. Maybe one day I will
even phone on a cell phone.....

Old fashioned Els in the middle of lots of snow.......did we ever get a
load of the white stuff today

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 8th 05, 05:25 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Gwen Kelly

"emerald" wrote in message

"Els van Dam" wrote

The times I have been to church (that is not all that often), the

sermons
were so boring and given in such a droning voice, that it was very hard

concentrate on what the contents was and get the meaning of it all. Not
all priest have good diction, or what they have to say, just does not

make
sense, at least not to me.

I grew up Catholic and my parents had a priest friend who used to say that
any sermon longer than 10 minutes was too long, that after that you were
merely repeating yourself and people always lost interest. Wise man.

Eimear

Old January 8th 05, 05:30 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Eimear - I agree with that - a priest I knew said much the same and that a
sermon should be kept very simple - wise men indeed God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article LFqDd.744282$%k.441717@pd7tw2no, "emerald"
wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote

The times I have been to church (that is not all that often), the

sermons
were so boring and given in such a droning voice, that it was very

hard to
concentrate on what the contents was and get the meaning of it all.

Not
all priest have good diction, or what they have to say, just does not

make
sense, at least not to me.

I grew up Catholic and my parents had a priest friend who used to say

that
any sermon longer than 10 minutes was too long, that after that you were
merely repeating yourself and people always lost interest. Wise man.

Eimear

Yes I have to agree

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

Old January 8th 05, 05:34 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

she sounds to enjoy voices /sounds maybe a musician in the crib ?
mirjam

I have to smile about the hight pitched screams, my nearly one year old
grand daughter, Aysia, when everyone is singing or we have a loud
conversation ( we do, believe me...LOL) she starts to really
screech......while clapping her hands. We do try to stop her, but she is
just way to small and also very happy, while she lets out these screams.
Michelle the daughter had a hard time with it aboard the plane coming
here.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

Old January 8th 05, 05:42 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Elsje i do have a cellophone , and am relieved to have it .
When i visit my father it enables me to move around Brusseles and he
knows he can reach me !!!
When my daughter is on the moove in the country [ she teaches in 2
cities ,, it is a relief at times to hear from her , as well as
regulate things that need to be done ... When i go out walking , it is
good one can call if one needs it ..
Many Israelies and other tourists could call homes after the Tsunamy
as with every other technical advancement it has it`s pros and against
terms.
mirjam

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "cher"
wrote:

I would think that as a believer one would believe then that God
gave you this talent, and therefore you are bringing your craft to
his house to share with him. I guess so long as it isn't a long
complicated pattern that needs your undivided attention, and you
don't stand up in the middle of a sermon and shout out....For
goodness sake shut up a minute....or similar, nothing would be made
of of...

Cheers.....cher x

Thanks for that smile....I needed that, things were getting a little
bit to serious here, reading more than 58 entries on this topic in a
row.. wow.....Gwen and Katherine thank you as well, for that bit on a
woman being to tired"...LOL....."" I don't think she rested - I think
she was exhausted! " ........

(don't believe it though....In my thoughts we carry all a bit of godly
light as part of one god...each and everyone of us exhausted or not,
knitting laughing, arguing, and talking, men women, child, behaved or
other wise, it does not matter at all, in the end we are all one,
good or bad, it can' be any other way, since we all live together on
this earth as we are. We better make the best of it, knitting or
not, in or out of church. OK all with out the #$%^ cel phones.....I
hate those things....LOL

Old January 8th 05, 12:43 PM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

[...]

Believe me, Els, I fought against having one for years, and even now I have
just the basic one - no text messaging, no web camera, just something used
for conversation.

Katherine

Old January 8th 05, 01:39 PM
emerald

Cell phones are very handy and have their uses. So it is maybe as it is
with so many things, not to abuse the use of it....(badly said, but I
just can't find the correct or right term at the moment) The kids bought
us one to use in an emergency, but Otto and I could never get it to work
when we needed it, we have long given up on it and do without. I hate
them when you are in a restaurant or other semi public place and all of a
sudden you are in the middle of a chit chat that takes over my private
space, e.g. bus or even in the super market. It is very invasive I find.
It certainly is infuriating during a concert or play. Still, that does
not mean that thay are not handy and have good uses. Maybe one day I will
even phone on a cell phone.....

Old fashioned Els in the middle of lots of snow.......did we ever get a
load of the white stuff today

Not so old fashioned, Els! I have to carry a cell phone, or a pager, for
work. If I am out-and-about when I have to be available I usually have it
set on low, or vibrate, because I think it's very intrusive.
I've been at meetings and conferences where there have been signs and verbal
reminders to turn phones off, or to vibrate, and still heard them ringing.
It's very distracting for the speaker and, IMO, shows disrespect for him/her
and the other attendees.

I also dislike hearing half a conversation - have you ever noticed how some
of those people seem to speak *so* loudly? LOL!
A few years ago I was in the bathroom at an airport when I hear voices or,
rather, one very loud voice, and I realised the woman was speaking on the
phone. She carried on her conversation all the while she was there - in the
stall, washing her hands and so on. I couldn't believe it! Is no place safe
any more??

Eimear

Old January 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Brian D

Hi the

"for the same reason"...and what was that , I must have missed that part of
this thread. My thought was that it was a judgement situation. God is
looking over us no matter what we do or where we do it!!!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

"spampot" wrote in message
Ummm...this thread contains pretty much universal condemnation of people
answering cell phones in church! And several people have registered
objections to knitting there as well, for the same reason.

Brian D wrote:
Hi there Aud:

Yes, I have to agree that many parents do misjudge the ability of their
children. But, it might be these same parents that are answering cell

phones
and knitting in church and no one here has suggested that they be

removed
from the church due to their lack of respect for the other parishoners.
I have to agree with Sunday being a "holy" day and not working. I was
brought up that way as well. As a young child I was taken to church

every
Sunday and when old enough attended the "Sunday School" that our church
provided. Maybe I misled people into thinking that I was not "religious"

in
anyway. I'd not be caught knitting in church either....lots of time at

home
to do that grin.

"Aud" wrote in message

Donna ,
No negative words about the children,
but about their PARENTS who sometimes misjudge the childs abilty
to behave like your little daughter.

Children are different, and in those cases when the service is not
adapted to children in any way,
the parents should give some thoughts to wheather THEIR child can get
something positive from being there.
My opinion is that many people have got a negative attitude
to attend a service from long and boring hours in the church as
children.

And I will still say that I will NOT knit during a service; because I
know that some people would feel it rather disturbing.
I know that *I* would perhaps listen more carefully,
but I think that is not the matter here.
Besides; speaking of OUR cultu In earlier days knitting was
considered as work here.
Up to our days old people meant that we should rest on sundays. I
remember well that my grandmother did not like me to knit on sundays!
Lots of old people here would feel very offended or hurt, if I picked up
my knitting in the church.Sunday is holy.
The fact that I don't think that way, doesn't matter here, I think.
Aud ;-))

Old January 9th 05, 04:29 AM
Els van Dam

In article VnRDd.14234$Xk.564@pd7tw3no, "emerald" wrote:

[...]

Eimear, just my sentiments as well....

By the way, did you have power today. We have been without from 8 this
morning. With a wood stove and a gas stove we managed nicely. We had
dinner by candle light and we even sat all around when my daughter read
bed time stories to Skye. The lights just came back on now, 8 at night.
The rest of the day was spent, clearing snow, putting snow chains on, and
Oma and Skye fooled around in the show, more than 24 inches of it here and
there. Lots of laughing and sliding about, with a master piece of a
snowman, with a carrot nose, a red pepper mouth, and cranberries for eyes
and belly button.....LOL

in other words a great day.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

OT - dress code etiquette Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 24 December 4th 04 12:29 AM
Guild Etiquette Sharon Gates Quilting 26 September 24th 04 02:03 PM
etiquette and large dead things bogus address Quilting 3 September 24th 04 12:39 AM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM