About Fine Silver

Old March 26th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default About Fine Silver

Hi,all
I have two questions.

1.Which one is softer between Fine Silver and 24kt gold?

2.Which type of solder(Easy ,M, H) I should use for soldering between
fine silver and fine silver?
(if its bazel on to the sheet. both .999)

I will be appreciated on any comment.

Thank you .

Yoshi.

Old April 5th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 4:32 am, wrote:
Hi,all
I have two questions.

1.Which one is softer between Fine Silver and 24kt gold?

2.Which type of solder(Easy ,M, H) I should use for soldering between
fine silver and fine silver?
(if its bazel on to the sheet. both .999)

I will be appreciated on any comment.

Thank you .

Yoshi.

Hi Yoshi,
1. Pure gold is the most malleable metal known. Pure silver follows behind.
2. As melting temperature of fine silver is higher than 925 silver,
we'd recommend using hard 925 silver solder for this work.

Best,
Dan.
http://www.pasternakfindings.com
Old April 6th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bob

On Apr 5, 7:30=A0am, wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:32 am, wrote:

Hi,all
I have two questions.

1.Which one is softer between Fine Silver and 24kt gold?

2.Which type of solder(Easy ,M, H) I should use for soldering between
fine silver and fine silver?
(if its bazel on to the sheet. both .999)

I will be appreciated on any comment.

Thank you .

Yoshi.

Hi Yoshi,
1. Pure gold is the most malleable metal known. Pure silver follows behind=

..
2. As melting temperature of fine silver is higher than 925 silver,
we'd recommend using hard 925 silver solder for this work.

Best,
Dan.http://www.pasternakfindings.com

Fine silver fuses readily without use of solder. Just flux the joint,
heat the piece until the flux runs, then run the flame along the seam
to fuse the pieces. Use a relatively small, hot flame. Look for the
bright line at the joint that tells you the joint reached fusing
temperature. Keep the flame moving so you don't overheat a spot and
melt it. Keep a soldering pick handy to press down any recalcitrant
spots that may show a gap.

Regards,

Bob
Old April 6th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

.
2. As melting temperature of fine silver is higher than 925 silver,
we'd recommend using hard 925 silver solder for this work.

Best,
Dan.http://www.pasternakfindings.com

Fine silver fuses readily without use of solder. Just flux the joint,
heat the piece until the flux runs, then run the flame along the seam
to fuse the pieces. Use a relatively small, hot flame. Look for the
bright line at the joint that tells you the joint reached fusing
temperature. Keep the flame moving so you don't overheat a spot and
melt it. Keep a soldering pick handy to press down any recalcitrant
spots that may show a gap.

Regards,

Bob-

Yoshi,

Your best to train yourself to use hard solder for silver and gold.
The only time I use other solders is in doing repairs, chains and the
like. Fusing is a tricky step best used on scrap pieces of silver to
see how best to fan the flame over the metal as it reaches melting
temp. You'll get some distrotion of the metal and some texturing from
fusing until you master the technique.
Old April 6th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sarit Wolfus

On Apr 6, 4:01=A0am, Bob wrote:
On Apr 5, 7:30 am, wrote:

On Mar 26, 4:32 am, wrote:

[...]

Hello Bob,
Close to the melting point, the lattice softens. As all components
involved have the same melting temperature, how do you avoid
distortions in the fine silver sheet/bezel while ensuring true fusion
at the joint?
Thanks,
Sarit.
http://sarit-jewelry.com
Old April 7th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bob

On Apr 6, 10:45am, Sarit Wolfus wrote:

Hello Bob,
Close to the melting point, the lattice softens. As all components
involved have the same melting temperature, how do you avoid
distortions in the fine silver sheet/bezel while ensuring true fusion
at the joint?
Thanks,
Sarit.http://sarit-jewelry.com

Hi, Sarit --

Just need good control of the heat! You can hold the piece as a whole
at the same temp you would for hard soldering, and by running a fine
hot flame just at the joint, the pieces fuse quite nicely. Learned
how to do this when I took a granulation class from Ronda Coryell.
One of the exercises was to make two fine silver hemispheres and fuse
them together into a sphere while held in a pair of tweezers. Much
easier than it sounds, actually. Then we went on to granulate the
sphere. All assembly prior to granualtion has to be fused, because
the temps required to adhere granules would melt even a hard solder
joint.

I just about always fuse fine silver bezels, even when the bezel will
later be soldered to a sterling surface. Also links for woven chains,
and the like, either in fine silver or 22kt gold.

Bob