Scrap Silver, Casting sheet

Old March 10th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Antonio

Default Scrap Silver, Casting sheet

Hello,
Antonio here. I have a lot of scrap silver. I would like to melt it
and cast it into sheet for further use. I have a small crucible and
stirring rod. Silver is expensive now, it was $4.50 an oz. when I
began silversmithing in 2001 LOL. So my question is when I melt (cast)
my silver scrap, what is the best shape to pour it to make sheet? What
do I use as a form? I do not have a rolling mill (my goodness, $400
for a mill). I will hand forge it, I'm actually pretty good with a
hammer, I have some Japanese hammers that are excellent. Hammer,
anneal, hammer anneal, you know. I have a small "ingot" that I poured
several years ago, ingots are not good for making sheet, ROFLOL. So,
maybe you can help me, I hope so. I have been reading the group since
2001, hey, that's 7 years now, hooray.
Thanking you,
Antonio
Old March 11th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Antonio wrote:
[...]

the answers you need are ALL in the previous thread under Argentium silver.
Let us know if you dont understand that thread.
Old March 12th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Antonio

Ah ha Mr. Ted, Yes, mbstevens said it best:
"There is almost certainly a better way to use your time.
Perhaps you should just process it to use in castings, or
trade most of it in to a metal dealer for the kind of sheet
you want. But keep a bit of the silver on hand for
making little sheets of fun stuff like
shibuichi."
Since I very clearly said I have not mill, then my time is better
spent trading in. LOL
I am understanding that thread and everything very clearly, Mr. Ted.
Hoping a good day to you.
Antonio

On Mar 11, 1:50 am, Ted Frater wrote:
Antonio wrote:
[...]

using scrap silver Kendall Davies Jewelry 11 March 31st 07 05:02 PM
Sheet Silver in Brooklyn NY? Kwiter Jewelry 1 January 2nd 05 07:09 AM
Silver sheet? Ian Rogers Jewelry 35 December 31st 04 08:20 AM
Silver Casting Jack Schmidling Jewelry 52 August 10th 04 10:31 AM
Silver Casting Nancy Czapla Jewelry 2 September 14th 03 08:01 PM