I just picked up some silver solder paste.....

Old March 1st 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default I just picked up some silver solder paste.....

"Jman" wrote in message
On Feb 29, 9:50=A0am, "William Black"
wrote:
"Jman" wrote in message

and I noticed something very peculiar about this stuff. =A0It looks and
smells EXACTLY like 'high end' silver thermal paste for CPU's !! =A0Has
anyone else noticed this ?

I haven't yet used the stuff to 'actually solder' yet but I'm looking
forward to trying it out. =A0Does anyone have a preference to the types
of solder they use for joining COPPER and SILVER (both fine and
sterling) =A0?

I also grabbed some Hard, medium and soft 'sheet solder' but it would
seem to me that it would be much more difficult to use than the silver
'PASTE'. =A0Of course, I'm speaking strickly as a beginner when it
comes=

to joining these various metals.... =A0Am I wrong in this assumption ?

You can buy a silver solder paste in hallmarking grade. =A0It comes in a
syringe and costs a small fortune and is usually only available in 'easy'
grade

However, most stuff sold as 'silver solder' is for the electronics
industr=

and is only about 5% silver and has enough lead in it to destroy anything
made of silver you try to join with it.

Please make sure that what you've got is the stuff designed for making
jewellery...

Hey there William,

The stuff I have is called "Pro-Craft" and it's Silver Solder Paste
with Flux.
Here's the link to the vendor, if interested....

http://www.grobetusa.com/ProductDesc...pasteflux.html

The stuff looks like hallmark quality jewellers solder to me.

Mind you, you never know in the UK until it comes back from the assay
office...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jman

On Mar 1, 2:05=A0pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"Jman" wrote in message

On Feb 29, 9:50=3DA0am, "William Black"
wrote:
"Jman" wrote in message

. ..

and I noticed something very peculiar about this stuff. =3DA0It looks=

and
smells EXACTLY like 'high end' silver thermal paste for CPU's !! =3DA=

0Has
anyone else noticed this ?

I haven't yet used the stuff to 'actually solder' yet but I'm looking=

forward to trying it out. =3DA0Does anyone have a preference to the t=

ypes
of solder they use for joining COPPER and SILVER (both fine and
sterling) =3DA0?

I also grabbed some Hard, medium and soft 'sheet solder' but it would=

seem to me that it would be much more difficult to use than the silve=

'PASTE'. =3DA0Of course, I'm speaking strickly as a beginner when it
comes=3D

to joining these various metals.... =3DA0Am I wrong in this assumptio=

n ?

You can buy a silver solder paste in hallmarking grade. =3DA0It comes i=

n a
syringe and costs a small fortune and is usually only available in 'eas=

y'
grade

However, most stuff sold as 'silver solder' is for the electronics
industr=3D

and is only about 5% silver and has enough lead in it to destroy anythi=

ng
made of silver you try to join with it.

Please make sure that what you've got is the stuff designed for making
jewellery...

Hey there William,

The stuff I have is called "Pro-Craft" and it's Silver Solder Paste
with Flux.
Here's the link to the vendor, if interested....

http://www.grobetusa.com/ProductDesc...pasteflux.html

The stuff looks like hallmark quality jewellers solder to me.

Mind you, =A0you never know in the UK until it comes back from the assay
office...

--
William Black

All these moments will be lost in time, =A0like icecream on the beach
Time for tea.- Hide quoted text -

You would probably know better than I....

The two that I have:

Soft @ 45% silver content and is a 1/2 ounce syringe =3D $15.00 CAN
Hard @ 75%% silver content and is a 1/2 ounce syringe =3D $18.00 CAN

BTW, what is Hallmark quality ?

Cheers,

/FC
Old March 2nd 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

"Jman" wrote in message
news
BTW, what is Hallmark quality ?

http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/pdf/aol_guidance.pdf

Table on page 3.

For solder for sterling silver it's 650 parts per 100, by weight.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:04:32 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jman
wrote:

BTW, what is Hallmark quality ?

that means it's got enough silver so articles made with it will pass British
hallmarking laws for metal quality. They're rather stricter about that in the
UK, than they are in Canada and the U.S., since among other things, makers don't
do their own quality marking, but send articles to a government assay office to
be tested and marked. The solders and metals used have to meet standards for
purity or the items cannot be marked "sterling".

Peter
Old March 3rd 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jman

wrote:
BTW, what is Hallmark quality ?

[snip]

Peter

Well now I am well informed..... Thanks for the excellent advice.
I brazed some nice bronze onto a copper sheet followed by the "Easy
Silver Paste" and it didn't turn out so well.... I'm going to try the
"hard Solder" and see if it makes any difference. I think I'll
probably end up with some PMC paste or clay in order to achieve the
'result that I want'. I must say however, that the solders certainly
do work well for my copper pieces ! Now if I can only find some
silver solder that melts at around 1000 celcius, I'd be in business !!

Cheers,

/FC

Old March 3rd 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jman

wrote:
BTW, what is Hallmark quality ?

[snip]

Your comment on Sterling has me thinking about the topic of purchasing
or creating ones own.
I think I'll start a fresh thread...

Cheers,

/FC
Old March 4th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Jman wrote:
On Feb 29, 10:07=A0am, Abrasha wrote:
Jman wrote:

I also grabbed some Hard, medium and soft 'sheet solder' but it would
seem to me that it would be much more difficult to use than the silver
'PASTE'. =A0

Not true.

Of course, I'm speaking strickly as a beginner when it comes
to joining these various metals.... =A0Am I wrong in this assumption ?

Yes.

--
Abrashahttp://www.abrasha.com

Wow,

I was checking out your site.... Very impressive stuff ! You have
immense talent and the 'walkthrough' of how some of those pieces are
made was 'inspiring' ( to say the least...)

I am currently working on adding another set of process pages. They are
of this ring, http://www.abrasha.com/WRD_02.jpg

They will include images as well as video this time. Bear with me, it's
a lot of work.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 4th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jman

On Mar 4, 1:28=A0am, Abrasha wrote:
Jman wrote:
On Feb 29, 10:07=3DA0am, Abrasha wrote:
Jman wrote:

I also grabbed some Hard, medium and soft 'sheet solder' but it would
seem to me that it would be much more difficult to use than the silver=

'PASTE'. =3DA0
Not true.

Of course, I'm speaking strickly as a beginner when it comes
to joining these various metals.... =3DA0Am I wrong in this assumption=

?
Yes.

--
Abrashahttp://www.abrasha.com

Wow,

I was checking out your site.... =A0Very impressive stuff ! =A0You have
immense talent and the 'walkthrough' of how some of those pieces are
made was 'inspiring' ( to say the least...)

I am currently working on adding another set of process pages. =A0They are=

of this ring,http://www.abrasha.com/WRD_02.jpg

They will include images as well as video this time. =A0Bear with me, it's=

a lot of work.

--
Abrashahttp://www.abrasha.com- Hide quoted text -

Great, look forward to it !