question about purple fabric

Old July 5th 05, 11:40 PM
SMark

Default question about purple fabric

I have a question. I did a google search and can not find my answer.

I have noticed that when I iron some of my purple pieces, the fabric will
change color. Most of the time, the purple comes back, except yesterday
ironing a Debbie Mumm piece, the color did not come back. Why does this
happen and should I use these pieces in my quilt or should I discard these
pieces as inferior?

Thanks!

Sandi M.

Old July 6th 05, 12:25 AM
Quiltshophopper

Sandi,
I will do you this favor: I will take them off your hands. You should mail
all your purples to me. I decided to make a Cyndi and Dennis, my DH, storm
at sea quilt from purples, blues and greens. Jewel tones.

Cyndi Yelton
9520 Palomas Ave NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

your welcome.

Old July 6th 05, 01:31 AM
Heather Cross

I made a quilt using some purple homespun and it went a funny red-purple
colour when I ironed it. Don't know why but the homespun also had to be
washed several times to stop the colour running.
Heather in West OZ

Old July 6th 05, 03:10 AM
The Larsons

Is your iron too hot? I've had that happen to me...Lisa Queen of freebies

Old July 6th 05, 05:33 AM
DrQuilter

I've seen this too. Some fabrics change colour but all the ones I've
seen do this come back to normal when they cool down...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old July 6th 05, 07:02 AM
Roberta Zollner

I don't know the answer either (looked it up in Hargrave's "Fiber to Fabric"
and it wasn't mentioned). But I'd be interested to know whether the piece
was washed or not. Is it possible for all the sizing etc. in "factory fresh"
fabric to react to the heat of the iron and change the color?

If you read through the above book, it describes the process and qualities
of the various dyes used on fabric. Obviously, heating the dye, even when
it's dry on the fabric, will change the chemistry enough to alter the color
in some cases, but IME the original color always came back. But I pre-wash
everything.
Roberta in D

news

Old July 6th 05, 12:59 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Well - it has to be the reds fault. Purple would never be so rude as to
run. VBG!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Heather Cross" wrote in message
I made a quilt using some purple homespun and it went a funny red-purple
colour when I ironed it. Don't know why but the homespun also had to be
washed several times to stop the colour running.
Heather in West OZ

"Quiltshophopper" wrote in message
Sandi,
I will do you this favor: I will take them off your hands. You should

mail
all your purples to me. I decided to make a Cyndi and Dennis, my DH,

storm
at sea quilt from purples, blues and greens. Jewel tones.

Cyndi Yelton
9520 Palomas Ave NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

your welcome.

71 reasons to buy fabric David & Barbara Schmidt Quilting 3 September 3rd 04 04:57 PM
Hardanger fabric question just me Needlework 3 June 7th 04 01:05 AM
Fabric Bowl Question Joan8904 Quilting 17 April 8th 04 05:16 PM
missing fabric question A&T Quilting 3 March 17th 04 05:56 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM