Christmas Stockings

Old August 2nd 04, 09:07 AM
Kate Dicey

Default Christmas Stockings

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
A word to the wise, though: lycras and other oil-based fabrics do degrade
over time. A lot depends on storage (heat, etc.), but it is almost
inevitable that they will not be 'heirlooms'!
Cynthia

I make mine out of cotton or poly cotton curtain fabrics: I interline
with bump and line with curtain lining. I just got a whole load more
fabrics for them from a sale by a friend who is a curtaim maker. She
was selling stuff off at £1 a metre. This fabric was mostly originally
£20-£30 a mtre... Yummy fabrics, and a few nice trims. Can't wait to
get back to the treadle to sew up a pile for the Christmas fair!

If I pick up some Christmas print quilting cotton nice and cheap, they
too make good stockings.

I don't intend them to be heirlooms, but they will last a good few years.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 8th 04, 11:12 AM
~Star~

I have crocheted stockings before and also have crocheted bags for the
back of walkers, which I donate to a nursing home.

To keep something like this from stretching, I make a liner from an
inexpensive cotton blend fabric. I make the liner just a little larger
than the stocking or walker bag so that there is still room for some
stretch, but the stocking or bag doesn't get stretched too far.

For the stockings, I choose an inexpensive holiday fabric.

To attach the liner to the item I sew it on by machine so as to make it
strong.

This could also be done with hand crocheted or knitted purses.

Star