cutting long strips

Old October 28th 03, 11:00 PM
Lindroos

Default cutting long strips

what is the best way to cut long borders? I need a length of 72 inches. I'm
cutting lengthwise from the salvage, but how do I ensure it is straight. Not
done alot of these.

--
Deni from burnaby bc canada

Old October 29th 03, 12:22 AM
Kathy in CA

Sometimes I just fold it several times but that can also cause inaccurate
cutting if there are any creases/folds. You can simply cut the length of
your ruler then move the ruler up and cut some more. I prefer my borders to
be in one strip of fabric when possible so thats how I cut them.

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old October 29th 03, 12:34 AM
Sudrlg

Hi Deni
Re the borders - that is what I am working on tonight also. I have good
success with ripping on the lengthwise grain, but I do measure carefully using
my rotary cutter and ruler to make that nick - also, press to get rid of the
inevitable curling on the edges.
Re the dog - good luck with her. All the labs in my life have been very sweet
and very emotional. Hope you get a good report from the vet.
Deena - in Philly
Old October 29th 03, 01:19 AM
Lindroos

Kathy - I was worried about the creases. I ended up just folding once, then
a couple of cuts with the ruler.

Old October 29th 03, 01:20 AM
Lindroos

I'm not big on ripping. I should try it sometime, but I ended up cutting -
see reply to Kathy

Old October 29th 03, 03:39 PM
susan kraterfield

"Lindroos" wrote in message news:HyCnb.67807$EO3.34637@clgrps13...
what is the best way to cut long borders? I need a length of 72 inches. I'm
cutting lengthwise from the salvage, but how do I ensure it is straight. Not
done alot of these.

I cut borders lengthwise, and I don't like ripping. I don't worry
about perfect grain straight; just kind of straight & use the rotary
cutter.

I fold it carefully in fourths holding one edge of salvage, shaking it
and smoothing it, then I think I fold it again, so there are 8 layers,
and it fits on my mat & ruler. I work really hard to make sure the
salvage edge lines up on a mat line AND the fold lines up on a
crossways mat line. That last is probably the most important, so that
the resulting cuts don't go off in a zig zag at each fold.

susan kraterfield
see my quilts: http://members.cox.net/kratersge/
Old October 29th 03, 05:43 PM
Lindroos

It was the zig zag I was worried about. Thanks everyone.

--
Deni from burnaby bc canada
"susan kraterfield" wrote in message
om...

Old October 29th 03, 08:33 PM
AliceW

I like one piece outer borders so I need long pieces many times as
well. Here's what I do. It sounds wonky, but it works for me.

I have two 36" cutting mats. I lay those down end to end on the floor
in one of my hallways. I fold my fabric lengthwise once if I have 6
yards or less, (twice if I have more than 6 yards). I then lay the
folded fabric on the cutting mats with the top of the fabric at the
top edge of the cutting mat. I then get on my knees and start to cut.
When I get half way through the second mat, I take the first mat and
swing it around to the bottom of the fabric up against the other mat,
then I finish cutting my strips. This works well for me and I get
nice straight cuts.

One note of caution - lock up the QIs first, because sure as God made
little green apples, they're gonna want to lay down right in the
middle of the whole thing. Ask me how I know.

Alice in NJ

Old October 30th 03, 12:15 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

1. The hard way: pull a thread and cut with scissors.
2. The easy way: snip 1/4" wider and tear; trim off the bloody edge.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 30th 03, 08:05 AM
Roberta in D

Quick and dirty but accurate: tear a strip wider than you need. Press the
bruised edge, fold until it will fit under your ruler (use a long ruler),
and trim. Do this edge first, then cut your accurate strip and trim off the
selvedge if it's still there.

Of course, you could always pull a thread.
Roberta in D

"Lindroos" wrote in