So I haven't quite made a sweater yet, but...

Old October 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Default So I haven't quite made a sweater yet, but...

wrote in
:

enigma wrote:

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip
stitches in bulk without having to do them one stitch at
a time? I can never get them back on the needle if I
pull it off and pull stitches out.

lifelines! every few rows put in a line of string/cotton
yarn (preferably undyed & a tight twist so you don't get
off color fluffies)
here's a photo tutorial on lifelines:
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/lifeline.shtm

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!

(hugging, offering chocolate, etc., etc., etc.)

i'm sorry i didn't think to suggest it sooner. it's a
wonderful trick.

now i must go back to looking for two missing patterns, my
Fiber Trends felted boots & my felted kitty from The Knitting
Needle (www.knittingneedle.com). i *just* saw the boots in my
office, but i can't find it & the kitty should be in the
basket with it's yarn, but it's not. arg! fairies!
lee
Old October 28th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Oct 26, 9:31 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
... in the past few months, I made the baby blue jeans but lost steam
when it came to sewing all the details on after a number of false starts
that I had to rip out.

snip

You are DEFINITELY ready to do a sweater. Keep us posted on your
progress.

Higs,
Katherine

Old October 28th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

It seems to me you would benefit from knitting one peace seamless
knitts
mirjam m
wrote:

... in the past few months, I made the baby blue jeans but lost steam
when it came to sewing all the details on after a number of false starts
that I had to rip out.

I have done a dozen or so dishcloths in a basic pattern, bamboo stitch,
a few picture-type patterns, and a few ultra-simple lace patterns. I
have a strip of 2-1/2 contiguous dishcloths I am assembling for a
potential afghan.

I finished a triangle shawl

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting...fort-shawl.htm

out of regular acrylic worsted weight yarn in lime green, kelly green,
and gold stripes (because I had a bunch of it in a big box of yarn I
bought for cheap) with a different stripe pattern for the border, but it
was a trifle too small so I sewed the edges up to make a poncho so I
didn't have to keep hanging onto it for dear life, and a half-circle shawl

http://users.adelphia.net/~mariella46/hafcircshawl.htm

out of spring green, sage green, and a sort of cranberryish color Lion
Brand so-called "Homespun" yarn (same reason as above)

and right now I am still working on my first tessellated fish for a
tesselated fish afghan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cauchycomplete/158622970/

without making an irreparable mistake. I have started at least 4-5
times and keep messing up, so I put it down until I feel like I have
enough patience to try it again.

And last but not least, I am making a dog sweater for my 14YO dog from a
very basic pattern in a Leisure Arts pamphlet. Then my 8-month-old
puppy is demanding equal time (she thinks the whole world revolves
around her), even though she has a nice fleece-and-Supplex hooded doggie
coat for early morning walks because she has hair, not fur, that I cut
shorter to avoid tangles and therefore would get cold easily -- she
loves to snuggle with me and wrap up with me in the poncho or shawl, too.

After making the poncho and the shawl, I am pretty sure that I have the
stamina to do a sweater, which is very encouraging, but I want to try to
master this unprintable adjective of a tessellated fish pattern first.
Then I will have to decide what to do about fitting the pattern and what
style I really want.

I bought yarn to make socks, but I got overwhelmed with life and haven't
started them yet. And I want to make a pair of legwarmers to wear with
my poncho or shawl when I'm working in the cold in the wee hours of the
night during the winter so I can stay warm.

(Disclaimer and warning to all: I don't do digital photos. I might be
able to get my 15YO to take some pictures with my digital camera that I
have never really figured out how to use -- I never was really big on
pictures even before I got this digital camera -- if I had a place big
enough to lay these things out, but that probably won't be until
Christmas vacation -- he's gone over 60 hours a week between school,
work, martial arts practice, and visitation with his dad. So please
don't make me feel even more inadequate than I already feel by asking to
see pics, okay? I would really appreciate it.)

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Old October 28th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
enigma wrote:

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip stitches
in bulk without having to do them one stitch at a time? I
can never get them back on the needle if I pull it off and
pull stitches out.

lifelines! every few rows put in a line of string/cotton yarn (preferably
undyed & a tight twist so you don't get off color fluffies) here's a
photo tutorial on lifelines:
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/lifeline.shtm

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

(hugging, offering chocolate, etc., etc., etc.)

LOL This hit me funny, thanks for the laugh! ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

that RED sweater ... Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 0 February 26th 07 04:34 AM
sweater pix Wooly Yarn 11 September 12th 06 08:28 AM
Spotlight Curtains Ready Made, Worst Ready Made Curtains in the World Bad Spotlight Sewing 3 June 10th 05 10:55 AM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM
planning a sweater by using ready made pattern Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 7 January 9th 04 08:27 PM