So I haven't quite made a sweater yet, but...

Old October 27th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default So I haven't quite made a sweater yet, but...

Not Likely wrote:
Wow! I'm very impressed at how much you've accomplished. Congratulations!
Also... thank you for sharing the links to the patterns. )

You're welcome. I figure that since I didn't have pics, the links would
give you folks a good idea of what I was doing. Those patterns were all
easy and didn't require me to keep terribly close track of what line I
was on, because it was just keep on going doing the same thing until you
are done.

Melinda, who is wearing her half-circle shawl, which was actually more
like a 3/5-circle shawl by the time she was done with it (which helps it
naturally stay on better without pulling off her shoulders), as she types

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old October 27th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

enigma wrote:

another trick, if it's the right type of sweater pattern, is
to knit the sleeves first. sleeves can be really boring after
getting the body done.
that's why i only do big things with stitch variations or
color work (even a varigated yarn helps)... i get bored.

Well, seeing as though I am fitting this into the little moments of
spare time I get through the day or when I'm waiting on something or
someone, getting bored isn't exactly too much of a problem and is
actually better for me anyway than having to rip somethign out 20 times
because I keep getting it wrong.

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip stitches in bulk
without having to do them one stitch at a time? I can never get them
back on the needle if I pull it off and pull stitches out.

lee now on ravelry too much

*not surprised but sad that that site is going to siphon off traffic
from the newsgroups and message boards that have been going on for a while*

Old October 27th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Bernadette wrote:
Making those fish will have taken patience because of the
shaping on them

I actually am still working on my first fish and never seem to get past
about the halfway point without making an irreparable mistake.
Anyway, that is my present challenge.

Old October 27th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh, that's a wonderful idea! I will go buy one the next time I go out.

myswendy wrote:

I too have TERRIBLE trouble remembering where I am in a pattern. I
finally took a little cylindrical plastic stitch counter that is made
to slip onto the needles and put a string through it and wear it
around my neck. That way, I can keep track of rows very easily by
ticking up one more number on the little thingy without losing track
of TWO things---what row I'm currently on AND "where the heck did I
put my row counter???" HAHAHA!

Old October 27th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
enigma wrote:
another trick, if it's the right type of sweater pattern, is
to knit the sleeves first. sleeves can be really boring after
getting the body done.
that's why i only do big things with stitch variations or
color work (even a varigated yarn helps)... i get bored.

Well, seeing as though I am fitting this into the little moments of
spare time I get through the day or when I'm waiting on something or
someone, getting bored isn't exactly too much of a problem and is
actually better for me anyway than having to rip somethign out 20 times
because I keep getting it wrong.

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip stitches in bulk
without having to do them one stitch at a time? I can never get them
back on the needle if I pull it off and pull stitches out.

Rip out the stitches to about the row before you need to start again,
take a smaller needle and put the sts on it as you pull out the stitches
one by one back to where you need be. You may not get them all on the
correct way, but the most important thing is to get them on a needle
first. You can re-seat them correctly as you knit across the row.

lee now on ravelry too much

*not surprised but sad that that site is going to siphon off traffic
from the newsgroups and message boards that have been going on for a while*

I don't really think it will. Initially, people will spend a lot of time
there because there's so much information, but the people on the boards
I read will still keep coming to them too.

sue
Old October 27th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

wrote in
:

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip stitches
in bulk without having to do them one stitch at a time? I
can never get them back on the needle if I pull it off and
pull stitches out.

lifelines! every few rows put in a line of string/cotton yarn
(preferably undyed & a tight twist so you don't get off color
fluffies)
here's a photo tutorial on lifelines:
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/lifeline.shtm

lee now on ravelry too much

*not surprised but sad that that site is going to siphon
off traffic from the newsgroups and message boards that
have been going on for a while*

not really for me. i much prefer Usenet to message boards as
far as 'community' online. i like ravelry for finding patterns
& someplace to post pictures (they made me set up a flikr
account, which i've been procrastinating about )
lee
Old October 27th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
busyknitting

On Oct 26, 10:14 pm, Olwyn Mary wrote:
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

... in the past few months, I made the baby blue jeans but lost steam
when it came to sewing all the details on after a number of false starts
that I had to rip out.

I have done a dozen or so dishcloths in a basic pattern, bamboo stitch,
a few picture-type patterns, and a few ultra-simple lace patterns. I
have a strip of 2-1/2 contiguous dishcloths I am assembling for a
potential afghan.

I finished a triangle shawl (snip)

and a half-circle shawl(snip)

and right now I am still working on my first tessellated fish for a
tesselated fish afghan
And last but not least, I am making a dog sweater for my 14YO dog from a
very basic pattern in a Leisure Arts pamphlet. (snip)

After making the poncho and the shawl, I am pretty sure that I have the
stamina to do a sweater, which is very encouraging, but I want to try to
master this unprintable adjective of a tessellated fish pattern first.
Then I will have to decide what to do about fitting the pattern and what
style I really want.

I bought yarn to make socks, but I got overwhelmed with life and haven't
started them yet. And I want to make a pair of legwarmers to wear with
my poncho or shawl when I'm working in the cold in the wee hours of the
night during the winter so I can stay warm.

(Disclaimer and warning to all: I don't do digital photos. I might be
able to get my 15YO to take some pictures with my digital camera that I
have never really figured out how to use --

WOW. You HAVE been busy. Wish I had accomplished half as much!!! Go
ahead and try a sweater, but you might want to do the first one out of
chunky yarn so it doesn't take quite so long to get there. Really, it's
just a case of following the pattern - adapted to your measurements if
necessary - and keeping track.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I think you have accomplished a lot! Just work on something fun for a
bit...maybe a big needle project that will give you some immediate
gratification. That is what I do when I am not sure what direction to
head in. karen in MI

Old October 27th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message news:47237190$0$79928

lee now on ravelry too much

*not surprised but sad that that site is going to siphon off traffic
from the newsgroups and message boards that have been going on for a

while*

Nah...... I'm here everyday, and on Ravelry everyday. Once you've put
in the time on Ravelry to set up parts of your notebook, I don't find it to
be a really bad time eater. One thing I haven't done yet and intend to do,
is put all of my needles in their database. It will be incredibly handy for
me to be able to see what I have a glance instead of rifling through the
little bag I have them in now.

Don't feel badly about your digital camera. If you're not into it, well
that's the way it is. If you feel like it sometime, there's probably a
course at the local high school or ??? where you could learn in one
evening how to master the beast. I'm still helping DH to use my old
one, and how to do e-mails. He's getting there. All it really is, is
doing the things over and over until it's old hat, and you're used to
it. ;)

Shelagh

Old October 27th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

enigma wrote:

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to neatly rip stitches
in bulk without having to do them one stitch at a time? I
can never get them back on the needle if I pull it off and
pull stitches out.

lifelines! every few rows put in a line of string/cotton yarn
(preferably undyed & a tight twist so you don't get off color
fluffies)
here's a photo tutorial on lifelines:
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/lifeline.shtm

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

(hugging, offering chocolate, etc., etc., etc.)

Old October 27th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Ravelry

Shillelagh wrote:
Nah...... I'm here everyday, and on Ravelry everyday.

Snap. I don't think Ravelry is undermining other online communities.
RCTY is my first calling of the day for knitting related reading. I
read knitting blogs too (which I'm sure many of us do) and I wouldn't
criticise them for siphoning traffic from newsgroups either. It's just
another resource for knitters and I for one want to encourage
resources designed for us knitters.

Knitting is also still a female dominated sport, while I encourage
every man whose interested to give it a try (and would love them to be
equally represented) the fact is many more women knit than men. The
consequence of this is many of the online resources for knitting are
created, at least in part, by women - this to me is a really great
thing because it boosts women's presence in the tech community and
encourages others to join. I work in the Computer Science world - it
is ridiculously dominated by men and anything that sees women
participate and embrace computer technology is to be encouraged.

My 2 cents.
VP

that RED sweater ... Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 0 February 26th 07 04:34 AM
sweater pix Wooly Yarn 11 September 12th 06 08:28 AM
Spotlight Curtains Ready Made, Worst Ready Made Curtains in the World Bad Spotlight Sewing 3 June 10th 05 10:55 AM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM
planning a sweater by using ready made pattern Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 7 January 9th 04 08:27 PM