Sponge Bars

Old October 18th 05, 02:02 PM
EdwinHannay

Default Sponge Bars

Can any one help me please. I know I can buy Sponge bars in the Uk but I
need to have about 10 of them out in Zambia, where a missionary is helping
the street girls to earn an honest living, I would like to be able to help
and suggest to them ways in which they can repair the sponge bars which
are now as flat as a pancake. I have tried draught excluder but it is to
thin and double is too thick. Anyone know where I might get some foam of
the correct density and then double sided sticky tape. Many thanks

Old October 22nd 05, 08:14 AM

I have not tried these instructions yet myself.
They are from one of the lists here in the US.

Basically you need to get FOAM WEATHERSTRIPPING (caps for
emphasis only) 3/8"wide (for the standard). It comes
1/4" and 5/16" thick. The one you want will `squish' easily
when pressed. Be sure to measure the width of your sponge
bar. The width must match.

You will also need a good tacky glue for fabric.
Aleene's Tacky Fabric Glue is recommended.

A good quality woven-edge ribbon. Ofray or Grayblock suggested.
A ribbon made of nylon which has a very smooth & shiny finish.
Width of ribbon to match foam & bar.

Flat edged tool for scraping off extra foam & glue.(Screwdriver)

Straight pins -long ones like for quilting.

Remove all the old foam & glue by scraping it off. Not necessary
to remove the ends of the sponge bar, just snip off the
ends of the foam.

Start at one end and work on a few inches at a time. Unroll
and place foam glue-side down along entire length of bar. Cut
it right up to the end of the bar.

Working a few inches at a time, place a thin line of glue
ao the top of new foam, then place ribbon shiny-side up on
top of the foam. Press lightly to make sure glue is evenly
spread and holding the ribbon. Cut ribbon at the end.

At both ends, add a little more glue to the foam (top & bottom)
to secure it to bar & ribbon.
Use straight pins to anchor foam & ribbon at an angle to the
ends of the bar. Let everything cure overnight. Remove pins
when dry.

Be sure to insert the sponge bar into the machine, sponge side
DOWN. Remove from machine when you are not knitting..
Originated by .

Happy knitting,
DotD

Sponge Bob fabric? SunnyQuilt Quilting 7 November 1st 04 12:55 AM
Hardanger Twisted Bars revisted Laury Walkey Needlework 3 March 7th 04 07:48 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
sponge Bat Square plates Cee White Pottery 0 August 21st 03 01:23 AM
Evertite bars BDS2pds Needlework 5 July 29th 03 08:56 PM