newbie with a tatting question

Old June 27th 04, 09:33 PM
FtForger

Default newbie with a tatting question

Hello. I recently stumbled across a web site with basic tatting
instructions. It piqued my interest, so I stopped at a near by
store and got a ball of tatting yarn and a pair of plastic shuttles.
I've spent a few days working on the basics and have now been
able to make a ring with picos on it. Still a little inconsistant
as I occationally forget/lose my count, but I'm sure that will come with
practice. What I need now, is some help figuring out what to do with the
rings. How do I connect them? I saw a few patterns, and even tried to
read/decode them, but I got lost. So, can someone help me with pointers
to some free patterns, more basic explanation of how to read them and
perhaps links to similar resources?

TIA
Michel (FtForger) Bartolone
(Blacksmith, sewing newbie, tatting newbie)

Old June 27th 04, 10:07 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi,

I can't help you and our expert tatting person isn't able to get here right
now. Have you tried doing a google search for tatting instructions?

Nora
Old June 27th 04, 11:00 PM
FtForger

Hi Nora. Actually a google search was what turned up the initial
instructions. I think I need to find someone on line that can have
a bit of a Q&A session either in the newsgroup or e-mail.

Thanks for responding though. Maybe someone else has enough more
experience than I do (like almost anyone thats done it more than
a week) and can offer some suggestions...

Old June 28th 04, 03:05 PM
Barbara Need

Well, I have done some tatting and I am willing to give it a shot. As you
have made your rings, are you making loops? For the second ring, when you
come to the place where you would expect to make another loop, pass your
shuttle thread through the loop on the exisiting ring. Let's say your ring
is 4 L 4 L 4 L 4 pull together. The second ring would be 4 connect 4 L 4 L
4. If you are making a garland, you will have connections are the position
of the first and third L. If you are making doilies, you will eventually
use the second to connect smaller pieces.

I hope this helps.

Barbara Need
UChicago--Linguistics

Old June 29th 04, 12:34 AM
FtForger

Thanks Barbara. That helps a bit. I would guess I need to pass a loop of
shuttle thread through the previous loop. Perhaps putting a full hitch
into the end of the loop?

Old July 1st 04, 06:18 PM
AJ Bennett

Feel free to email me offline. I have taught tatting at several LNSs.
I can probably help you with reading the patterns.

AJ