Anyone heard of a string bag?

Old September 26th 04, 02:55 PM
Trish Brown

Default Anyone heard of a string bag?

Does anyone remember the dear old string bag their Nanna used to take to
the shops? Our supermarket is selling cheap canvas shopping bags in the
hope of replacing the disposable plastic ones, but I thought I'd rather
make a couple of the old fashioned string bags, which expanded
beautifully to contain a pumpkin, a few bottles of milk or miscellaneous
oddly-shaped grocery items. In fact, it was All the Go to carry your
netball to school in one when I was a child...

Anyway, if anyone could point me toward a crochet pattern for a string
bag, I'd be eternally grateful! I've Googled, but the ones I cropped up
with are either netted (haven't got a netting needle) or knitted (can't
knit to save me life!)

TIA,

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 26th 04, 04:15 PM
nana2b

Hi, What about crocheting in a circle and gathering up the outer edges
with drawsting and a handle? Maybe someone that lives in Europe can send
you a photo of one or the actual thing. They still us them there.

HTH, Linda

Old September 26th 04, 05:37 PM
Maine-iac Rose

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet...re-purse.shtml
http://www.lionbrand.com/printablePa...ct-hoboBag.pdf (notice it is a
pdf file)
http://www.lionbrand.com/ then click Crochet Pattern Index, then scroll
down to Crocheted Accessories and down a bit you will see the Hobo Bag
http://www.straw.com/cpy/montbag.htm
http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat118.html

just to list a few.......hope these help

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me

Old September 26th 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

Anyway, if anyone could point me toward a crochet pattern for a string
bag, I'd be eternally grateful! I've Googled, but the ones I cropped up
with are either netted (haven't got a netting needle) or knitted (can't
knit to save me life!)

http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat118.html

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=133
(sugar and cream yarn is about the weight of the white cotton
twine old fashioned butchers tied roasts with)

And instructions for netting, with improvised netting needles:
http://www.wedcraft.com/newhandout2.pdf
Old September 27th 04, 12:05 AM
Pat in Virginia

Trish:
You want the type that is quite open weave, right? One that
crushes to about the size of a plum? You might try searching a
Macramé book, especially one from the 60s or 70s. Even if you've
never done Macramé, it is easy as pie.
TTFN. PAT in VA/USA

Old September 27th 04, 05:57 AM
melinda

Trish Brown wrote:
Does anyone remember the dear old string bag their Nanna used to take to
the shops? Our supermarket is selling cheap canvas shopping bags in the
hope of replacing the disposable plastic ones, but I thought I'd rather
make a couple of the old fashioned string bags, which expanded
beautifully to contain a pumpkin, a few bottles of milk or miscellaneous
oddly-shaped grocery items. In fact, it was All the Go to carry your
netball to school in one when I was a child...

Anyway, if anyone could point me toward a crochet pattern for a string
bag, I'd be eternally grateful! I've Googled, but the ones I cropped up
with are either netted (haven't got a netting needle) or knitted (can't
knit to save me life!)

TIA,

Mum made me something similar to what you want, unfortunately I can't
ask her about ATM my parents are in South Oz for a bit of a holiday
and won't be back until mid October. But anyway the bag is crocheted
and she lined it with calico and added a couple of pockets, I use it
to carry around miscellaneous stuff for DS and little bits of shopping.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 28th 04, 09:14 PM
Trish Brown

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! :-D

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia