A small whine

Old February 20th 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default A small whine

On 2/19/11 7:39 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 11:38 AM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:46 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/16/11 12:41 PM, in article
, "Liz from
Humbug" wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
It is the prefect morning to sit and stitch. Trash is out, the laundry is
caught up and frankly a heating pad is in order on my lower back.. And I
have to wait for return calls

BUT THERE IS NOTHING BUT CRAP on TV.

Cheryl

Exactly why DH & I have a large collection of DVDs/Videos!!!!!!!!! We
have everything from the very old to the reasonably new -
documentaries, movies, cartoons and a few TV shows (Lucy, Little
Rascals and Rocky & Bullwinkle). :-) My favorite one to play when I
am home sick is the six hour Looney Toons video. If I drift off to
sleep, I haven't really missed anything and I'm not constantly needing
to get up to change the disc/tape. Although, DH did put the 15 Rocky
& Bullwinkle tapes all on one long playing tape because they're only
30 minutes each. Also, before the DVDs came out, DH put all three
"Back to the Future" movies on one long playing tape. We can watch it
all in one sitting, with no indication of where the individual movies
begin and end. Other than the fact that we've seen them all over and
over. :-) When stitching, I like to put in the old, black & white
comedies. There's just no one out there today like Cary Grant, Jimmy
Stewart or Gary Cooper - or Barbara Stanwyk when she's being
funny. :-)
Liz from Humbug

Not many DVD's in the house, though I will add Mama Mia to what we do have.
VCR player is dead. (sigh, have to find a way to put all those cartoons on
to a DVD)

Cheryl

Mama Mia is hilarious - we actually saw it on cable, then found the DVD at
some bargain $4 or so. I think just watching Pierce Brosnan struggle to
sing is worth it. At the same time, the women are great, and the scene at
the wedding dinner when Julie Walters goes strutting down the table - fab.
We were watching Colin Firth on Actors Studio, and he said that doing the
music for this movie (all done in recording studio separately on one day)
was terrifying, and that when he saw Pierce Brosnan with a "rictus of fear"
getting ready to try and sing put some perspective on it. Good choice.

A while ago we got a box set of "The Thin Man" with Myrna Loy & William
Powell - I love this series. We have some other old movie sets - sometimes
we find them at a great price at Costco - but on the whole, we're not
splurging much.

Ellice

I have to look for "The Thin Man"! DH loves those movies. Also, "Bringing Up
Baby"

Cheryl

LOL - must be those Jersey roots he shares with my DH. We actually have
"bringing up baby" as well - similarly in a set of a few Cary Grant movies.
DH is very addicted to the Retro channels - and picking up these older
classics. Along with a hefty dose of Monty Python...

TTY off line - maybe I can get you a copy, or something.

Ellice

Old February 20th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/19/11 7:44 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:58 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

On Feb 15, 10:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
It is the prefect morning to sit and stitch. Trash is out, the laundry is
caught up and frankly a heating pad is in order on my lower back.. And I
have to wait for return calls

BUT THERE IS NOTHING BUT CRAP on TV.

Cheour painryl

I feel your pain. But, when stitching, I can't watch tv. If I'm home
alone and want to stitch, I load on my Mozart or just tune in a radio
stand.

At night, if I'm not reading, I first check out TCM - only
uninterrupted movie station I get. Then I check out HSN and QVC (not
too desperate, huh?, then maybe a peek at WE ( Hate Bridezilla).
I have never seen Jersey Shore or any of that ilk. Learning Channel
is OK. I never watch the major network prime time stuff either.
Joy Behar show borders on the seamy side, and Nancy G is just too
upsetting to go to bed on. I have even enjoyed Father Corapi's
sermons on EWTN.

Oh, for the return of HItchcock. I'll even watch old Sandford and Son
or Andy G.

A few days ago, I found the "RetroTV" station. OMG, back to back was
"Emergency!", "Adam 12" and "Dragnet". Amazingly, they all stand up pretty
well. Don't know about a steady diet, but as the odd "spice", it was fun.

Aack - you're channeling my husband.....It's become his new fallback.
Lately we've been watching the hilarious "Harry's Law" - starring Kathy
Bates. It's semi-ridiculous, but if you're a David Kelley fan, then the
quirkiness works. Besides the retro channel, he's found that the HDNet
channel (for those with cable and HD) has a lot of older shows, and also
uninterrupted movies. DH likes to watch....Hogan's Heroes in the early
morning when eating breakfast - split with the ever thrilling traffic (yeah
DC - worst in the country, again). Go figure.

I've never been good at listening to music while reading or stitching. Just
doesn't work for me. But for some reason, science shows work well.

Cheryl

I'm good with you. I love to do music while painting - but not when
stitching. Who knows why. Maybe 'cause the tempo gets me pulling stitches,
or falling asleep - don't know ;^)

Ellice

Old February 20th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/20/11 1:59 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

On 2/20/2011 9:40 AM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 2/19/11 10:03 AM, in article , "Karen C in
wrote:

Anyway, watching Pierce is worth it no matter what.........

There's a tv show on USA now - "White Collar" - and my take is that the guy
playing the lead is the new Pierce Brosnan (harkening back in many ways to
the Remington Steele character). Though this show has a bit more dependence
on the the ensemble, of the other 2 male semi-leads, and 2 women in
supporting leads.

Ellice

I've thought the same thing about the "White Collar" guy.

Also, that the show harks back to "It Takes a Thief" (Robert Wagner, who
also exudes "charm") and T.H.E. Cat (anybody else remember that one? I
was too young at the time to remember the details about it.)
wait....found it!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060030/

sue

Totally agree. We seem to end up watching this show late - on the rerun at
11 or so - and while we were watching the other night had the chat about his
future. Don't know what it is about the smart, slightly larcenous, charming
guys that gets me. It'll be interesting to see if his career moves forward.

On that note - sort of - we were at Ken Ctr (my outing despite the
pneumonia) one evening for the Druid Theatre festival and saw "The Cripple
of Inishmaan" - which is going on a 6 week tour around the US. Highly
recommend it - this particular play was really witty - though of the dry,
Irish sarcastic wit - set in about 1930 or so, in the Aran islands. Very
good - and the cast was quite recognizable if you watch Ballykissangel, and
a myriad of other Irish/British film/tv. Even DH recognized a couple of the
actors (we weren't in our usual seats 'cause it was an extra show - and we
were in Row E which is closer than we like, but did get a good view of the
faces). I think they're doing a few other shows as well. Always fun to see
actors you've seen in some TV thing actually on stage. For Cheryl - the
funny thing - another guy we know who's a hockey ref (and grad student) came
in just after us, and was sitting a row ahead - the guys were laughing - as
the hockey crew isn't usually who we expect to see at Ken Ctr.

Sue - don't know if they're stopping in Baltimore - maybe - surely going to
Philly....worth a look.

Ellice

Old February 21st 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/20/11 5:13 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

On 2/20/2011 4:39 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Sue - don't know if they're stopping in Baltimore - maybe - surely going to
Philly....worth a look.

Ellice

Thanks...I passed that along to my niece, who's in theater admin. in
Philly. A different theater, but maybe there's reciprocation.

sue

You're welcome. Usually the companies at Ken Ctr are either the big stop
pre-Broadway, or a first post-Bway. With the troupes from overseas, what
we've been familiar with is a special arrangement between whatever
international theatre company & Ken Ctr. So, we've regularly been seeing a
Druid from Ireland, and the company from Beckett's home theatre. For a few
years it was the Royal Shakespeare Co., and then some others as well. Also
this year was a theatre from Russia - which did Shakespeare amongst other
things. This was the first time we saw in Playbill in the article about the
Druid company that this was their first stop to be followed by 6 weeks
touring in America. So, thought it worth saying something. Perhaps your
niece will know.

FWIW - there is a huge festival of Indian Arts at Ken ctr for March.
Includes music, popular music, theatre (with English surtitles - like the
opera), dance and other visual arts installations. When we were there last
week, the gift shops were starting to put out some of the items for sale -
honestly - prices were pretty reasonable - some lovely decorative things,
shawls, jewelry, etc. Nice little paper craft items as well.

Well, enough from the arts front - tee hee - as if. Well - back to
Masterpiece theatre, as DH has gone to ref a big boys tournament game.

Ellice

Old February 22nd 11, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/20/11 9:37 AM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

On 2/19/11 7:44 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:58 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

[...]

I still like Hogan's Heroes too.

I'm annoyed at HGTV and DIY - there used to be craft shows on early in the
AM, now there is nothing on a regular basis.

I've never been good at listening to music while reading or stitching. Just
doesn't work for me. But for some reason, science shows work well.

Cheryl

I'm good with you. I love to do music while painting - but not when
stitching. Who knows why. Maybe 'cause the tempo gets me pulling stitches,
or falling asleep - don't know ;^)

Ellice

I love to turn up the volume while doing housework. But need TV to fold
laundry and sort socks (I hate sorting socks)

Off to eat breakie and do more laundry.

Cheryl

Old February 22nd 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/22/11 8:16 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/20/11 9:37 AM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

On 2/19/11 7:44 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:58 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

On Feb 15, 10:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
It is the prefect morning to sit and stitch. Trash is out, the laundry is
caught up and frankly a heating pad is in order on my lower back.. And I
have to wait for return calls

BUT THERE IS NOTHING BUT CRAP on TV.

*snip*

[...]

True. HGTV got rid of some shows a few years ago - now you have to find
them on other channels. Our local PBS channels have multiple secondary
broadcast channels and that's where I find some quilting, sewing, painting &
cooking stuff. Some of these can be found on-line, but even with a big
computer screen - unless it's in the same room as the laundry folding,
well....

A lot of the crafty shows just don't appeal to me - too trendy or too simple
or something. Could be I'm just bored and picky.

I've never been good at listening to music while reading or stitching. Just
doesn't work for me. But for some reason, science shows work well.

Cheryl

I'm good with you. I love to do music while painting - but not when
stitching. Who knows why. Maybe 'cause the tempo gets me pulling stitches,
or falling asleep - don't know ;^)

Ellice

I love to turn up the volume while doing housework. But need TV to fold
laundry and sort socks (I hate sorting socks)

LOL - I think the reason we have a TC in the master bdroom is so that I can
watch while folding laundry. Since the laundry is upstairs, I end up
folding it on the bed. Socks? I actually don't mind doing the socks -
though I will admit that at this point DH's are in a basket in the closet -
how he prefers them. I hate emptying the dishwasher.

Off to eat breakie and do more laundry.

Cheryl

We were up early - neighbor trying to snowblow ice at 5:45 am. DH has a
staff meeting at 8, and it's a 25 mi commute - so he got up, and
shovelled/chipped ice off the drive and the little car (big car is more of
an iceberg at this point). And of course, if he'd turned in the official
paperwork, he could telework - but...I made coffee and we had early brekkie.
At this point I'm watching a bizarre film called "No Such Thing" - with
Helen Mirren as the evil person, set in Iceland & NY. Kind of art film
about a "monster" and humanity. Kind of the modern take on "Beauty and the
Beast." I haven't decided yet - almost all over- well filmed. (There's a
little radio/tv thing attached to a shelf in the office.)

Now - I guess it's off to put in another load of laundry. When I'm on the
computer during the day, it is generally 'cause I'm up here doing laundry -
too many stairs to keep running back down and up.

Have a good day - no school here, either. Ah - for my little whine -
there's construction where the beltway meets the Dulles toll road as a metro
line is finally being put in. Last week - as DH was driving into Arlingtong
- thru the big intersection to continue straight into town - a 4"x4" post
was handing into the roadway off a jersey wall, and actually smashed the
driver side mirror on the Expedition. Go figure. Basically a $400-$700
repair - we could only imagine how many other cars got hit. Evidently the
construction crew didn't clean up exactly. So we're stuck with a no-fault
claim on our insurance, and complaining to the VDOT, Toll Road & Metro
authorities to try and get back the deductible, and have them be
responsible.

Ellice

Old February 22nd 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 2/20/11 9:37 AM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

On 2/19/11 7:44 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:58 PM, in article
,
"Kalmia"
wrote:

[...]

All that talk about laundry is making me itch all over. My dirty laundry
was sitting quietly and just waiting for me until it heard all this and
decided to come and pull me to the machine. It's all your fault.

Now I guess I'll have to do it just to get rid of this itch.
scritch,scratch

Old February 22nd 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Feb 22, 8:16*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 2/20/11 9:37 AM, in article , "Ellice

K." wrote:
On 2/19/11 7:44 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/18/11 7:58 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

[...]

Laundry.....got some of that done this am before
I shoveled the "2-4", but really 8-10 inches of
that white stuff. I refuse to say it. After teasing
us with 60s last week and I get most of the stones
back in the driveway, more of that &$#* white stuff.
They sure missed the forecast. Most schools started
with 2 hour delays but once the city canceled classes
most of the other ones did as well.

Hopefully I'll get to some stitching this afternoon, if
I don't fall asleep first. Have been working on Laura
Perin's Winter Wind. Finally have all the Rhodes
Stars done with Metallic Ribbon Floss.

Nancy

a little whine Roberta Zollner Quilting 11 June 8th 08 11:46 PM
OT -- I just need to whine the black rose Quilting 16 November 2nd 05 03:54 AM
Whine Black Cat Beads Beads 1 April 14th 04 06:50 AM
OT whine Kalera Stratton Beads 50 November 23rd 03 02:36 AM
*whine* SlinkyToy Yarn 2 October 10th 03 08:07 PM