Princess Diana Sweater Patternsn

Old July 28th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]

Default Princess Diana Sweater Patternsn

Murielle wrote:

You know, I keep forgetting that the people on newsgroups are not my
friends. That is just seriously silly of me.

A true friend is one who will tell you the truth when you need to hear
it even if you don't want to.

I have made many friends on newsgroups and my life has been greatly
enriched by them. I have learned a lot, and I have heard a lot of
things that I really didn't want to hear at the time (thank you, Joanne,
among others on other newsgroups!) among other people) that didn't
"click" until later and I was glad that someone told me something that I
needed to hear even though at the time I was not ready to hear it.
Old July 28th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Murielle wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
Murielle wrote:
"mirjam" wrote in message
Murielle
I am not sure it is legal to share such patterns ,,,
mirjam
I don't know. I've never checked. I'm not selling them, I'm only
passing on copies of pages from the original magazine (which I no longer
have).

I expect there would be a cease and desist request first, and if it came,
I would certainly stop.

Thanks, though, for pointing that out to me.
Murielle

It's generally agreed that's a copyright violation, though. But if you did
it a bit more quietly than in a newsgroup.....

You know, I keep forgetting that the people on newsgroups are not my
friends. That is just seriously silly of me. It never occurred to me that
I was doing more than sharing something with friends. But you've taught me
a very important lesson.

That's not what I meant, I think everyone's been friendly in pointing
out something you didn't realize. I only meant that putting this offer
out in public isn't a good idea.

sue
Old July 28th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"mirjam" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 9:36 am, "Murielle" wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message

Murielle wrote:
"mirjam" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you,
Murielle- Hide quoted text -

In this Case Murielle we all behaved like friends , we saw a `possible
accident `, and warned you not to fall into it ::::
Cheer up ,,,,
mirjam

I appreciate it, I really do. Yesterday I was in a lot of pain and it was
late at night when I first read the posts.

I got up this morning intending to look up the magazine on the interent and
email them explaining what I'd done, and apologizing. However, I've
discovered that the magazine is listed as defunct in Wikipedia. I'm not
sure what that means in this case. But better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks for your patience,
Murielle

Old July 29th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Murielle wrote:
I got up this morning intending to look up the magazine on the interent and
email them explaining what I'd done, and apologizing. However, I've
discovered that the magazine is listed as defunct in Wikipedia. I'm not
sure what that means in this case. But better safe than sorry, right?

IIRC, the copyright is still valid for 30-some-odd years from the
original date, and it can be renewed for another 30-some-odd if the
original copyright holder does it.
Old July 29th 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Murielle wrote:
I got up this morning intending to look up the magazine on the interent
and email them explaining what I'd done, and apologizing. However, I've
discovered that the magazine is listed as defunct in Wikipedia. I'm not
sure what that means in this case. But better safe than sorry, right?

IIRC, the copyright is still valid for 30-some-odd years from the original
date, and it can be renewed for another 30-some-odd if the original
copyright holder does it.

Ah well. I think if I wasn't dealing with some health issues I wouldn't
have overeacted. (Not my usual response.) At least I sincerely hope I
wouldn't have over reacted. However, my mind was completely blown by the
notion that knitting patterns would have the same copyright restrictions as
everything else. I don't know why it never occurred to me, especially since
whenever I've had the means to share the pattern I have done so since the
mid-ninties. We're not talkning a one-of situation here. To say I was
shocked is a complete understatment. I was utterly gobsmacked. I mean, I
should know better. I've edited newsletters for years and I can't tell you
how many battles I've had when someone wanted to "just copy the story from
the net and reprint it in our little publication. And now, to realize that
I've been doing virtually the same thing with the "Di" patterns for almost
two decades. Doh! Double Doh! (Hard head-desk!)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping me sort it out, and I do apologize
for being so grouchy, it was completely uncalled for.

Sincerely,
Murielle

(I do hope this makes some sense as it's way past my bedtime. ;-))

Old July 29th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

"Murielle" wrote in message
Hi!

Ages ago I offered to email these patterns to anyone who wanted them,
unfortunately there was a problem with one of the pages and then my
scanner broke down.

The good news is that my scanner is finally fixed, I've re-scanned the
seven pages of patterns and saved them as jpegs. So, if anyone is still
interested email me at

a-m-l-s at s-h-a-w dot c-a

Murielle

I have been following this thread with great interest. If the patterns to
which you are referring include a red sweater with a Koala on the front, it
was designed by Jenny Kee.
It is my understanding that when a designer submits a pattern for
publication, the copyright of said pattern is transferred to the publisher.
If said design was printed by permission, the designer then retains the
copyright of the design.
To complicate the matter farther, Jenny Kee is an artist whose paintings
have been used as a source for fabrics as well as knitwear. If the graphic
used in a design is licensed from the artist, then the copyright to that
graphic remains the property of the artist.

If the collection of designs under discussion was published in a now defunct
publication, unless the legal agreement with the designer specified that the
copyright for the design reverted to them in these circumstances, there is
no legal owner of said patterns. This would depend on if the magazine in
question was published by a company whose sole publication was this
magazine? If the publisher is a company who is still publishing other
materials then the copyright would be the property of the parent company,
except under the circumstances which I have mentioned.

Generally copyright infringement is pursued when the owner can prove there
is monetary loss resulting in the distribution of the property.

Interested in the subject because a friend had her patterns published
without permission,

DA

Old July 29th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Murielle wrote:
I got up this morning intending to look up the magazine on the
interent and email them explaining what I'd done, and apologizing.
However, I've discovered that the magazine is listed as defunct in
Wikipedia. I'm not sure what that means in this case. But better
safe than sorry, right?

IIRC, the copyright is still valid for 30-some-odd years from the
original date, and it can be renewed for another 30-some-odd if the
original copyright holder does it.

Or the copyright may have reverted to the designer when the magazine folded.

sue
Old July 29th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Murielle wrote:
[...]

Oh there are some pattern designers who will sue people who distribute
their knitting patterns elsewhere, even for free. There are huge threads
on copyrights on some of the web based forums too.

sue
Old July 29th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

suzee wrote:

IIRC, the copyright is still valid for 30-some-odd years from the
original date, and it can be renewed for another 30-some-odd if the
original copyright holder does it.

Or the copyright may have reverted to the designer when the magazine
folded.

That doesn't mean that the original copyright still doesn't last for
30-something years, right?
Old July 29th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

Oh there are some pattern designers who will sue people who distribute
their knitting patterns elsewhere, even for free. There are huge threads
on copyrights on some of the web based forums too.

sue

Basic rule of protecting anything, don't upload it. Fair use rules vary from
country to country as do copyright laws.
DA

Princess Diana Sweaters Murielle Yarn 6 August 23rd 09 07:22 PM
China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 29th 08 10:21 AM
China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 8th 08 07:39 AM
Diana C ~KK~ in B.C. Quilting 1 June 16th 04 08:55 PM
OT Diana in hospital Shirley Shone Beads 16 August 4th 03 04:42 PM