Damp Sponge Technique

Old January 22nd 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Damp Sponge Technique

Railroading is also great to do when satin stitching and using two
strands. The coverage is quicker and it looks super when finished.

Dianne

Dr. Brat wrote:
Railroading is when you hold the threads down across the place where you
want to enter the fabric and insert the needle into the fabric with one
strand on each side of it. In cross stitching, this keeps the threads
from twisting as you stitch. It takes some thought, but not much more
time and creates an even look.

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/railroad.html

Elizabeth

--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/smf
Old January 23rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Dr. Brat says...
Railroading is when you hold the threads down across the place where you
want to enter the fabric and insert the needle into the fabric with one
strand on each side of it. In cross stitching, this keeps the threads
from twisting as you stitch. It takes some thought, but not much more
time and creates an even look.

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/railroad.html

Thanks for the explanation.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 23rd 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 15, 1:13 pm, Naomah wrote:
Does anyone use a damp sponge on their floss before stitching?

Does it help the thread lay better and not twist so much?

Something that hasn't been brought up yet: do you separate your
strands of thread before threading your needle? I found that once I
started doing that, the occurrence of knots diminished considerably.
One of the many tips I've learned on this wonderful group!

Joan
Old January 26th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Naomah[_2_]

On Jan 23, 5:06 pm, "Joan E." wrote:
On Jan 15, 1:13 pm, Naomah wrote:

Does anyone use a damp sponge on their floss before stitching?

Does it help the thread lay better and not twist so much?

Something that hasn't been brought up yet: do you separate your
strands of thread before threading your needle? I found that once I
started doing that, the occurrence of knots diminished considerably.
One of the many tips I've learned on this wonderful group!

Joan

I do. And I try to lay them end to opposite end. I am going to try
the damp sponge someday. The railroading does help.

Naomah

OFF TOPIC - my toes still feel damp, but we made it Cheryl Isaak Needlework 12 June 14th 06 01:05 AM
How to build a damp room JoePotter Pottery 3 November 11th 05 01:25 PM
Sponge Bars EdwinHannay Machine Knit 1 October 22nd 05 08:14 AM
Sponge Bob fabric? SunnyQuilt Quilting 7 November 1st 04 12:55 AM
Sponge Bar Jackie Machine Knit 2 June 16th 04 10:52 PM