2 Done and Photography Question

Old August 18th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Default 2 Done and Photography Question

..........but, can Mr. Ester hold up a queen sized quilt for full view and
detailed, spectacular photos........pretty is as pretty does

Val

"Taria" wrote in message
...and I am sure he is better looking!
Taria

Polly Esther wrote:

Good golly! $ 105 ? I only paid $ 12.50 for Mr. Esther. Polly

"KJ" wrote in message

I did post on another message about the Savage porta stands. Google will
bring up the same stand for many different prices. I just saw one for
$105....though I did get some for my guild for $99. I suppose prices
have gone up. There is a website called "quilter's husband" or something
like that who carries the same stand for quite a bit more. This stand is
for photography backdrops, but is just wonderful for quilts.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
groups.com...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
And, does anyone have a set up for holding quilts to be photographed?
I've seen some professional frames in magazines, but I'm looking for a
homemade/cheaper solution. Quilts are too big for husband's arms and
it's too windy in Nebraska to drape them over the fence!

joan

Old August 18th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I have enough empty wall in the bedroom to hang most quilts if I need a more
"professional" photo. Put a row of large safety pins along the top edge of
the quilt, about 10" apart, so the heads are pointed down and the little
ring at the end just comes to the edge of the binding. Use thumb tacks
through those rings, and put them right up next to the ceiling so the holes
are relatively invisible.
Alternative method for more casual photos: rope in some extra husbands or
tall friends, get them to stand up on chairs. Hanging off the upstairs
balcony is also OK.
Roberta in D

Old August 18th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Lotsoflavender wrote:
What I use, Joan, are curtain rings with clasps that dangle from them I get
from Ikea when I'm up there. I clip the rings onto the quilt then thread
the rings onto a curtain rod that I can hang on the wall or tie up to the
clothes line if it's a big quilt. That way it doesn't matter if the quilt
is small or large I can hang it from anywhere using the curtain rings from
Ikea. Haven't seen them anywhere else in Oz.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20109278
The link is to the Australian site and there's a couple of sizes but it will
give you an idea. I use the rings to hang my quilts so I don't have to put
rod pockets on them [not one of my most favourite tasks] and can swap the
quilts around from time to time more easily as well.
Wendy in NSW

"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
And, does anyone have a set up for holding quilts to be photographed?
I've seen some professional frames in magazines, but I'm looking for a
homemade/cheaper solution. Quilts are too big for husband's arms and
it's too windy in Nebraska to drape them over the fence!

joan

I used my rotary clothes line for my last lot of photos. Unfortunately
it doesn't have a break! Weeeeeeeeeeee.

Also when they weren't wizzing round they were flapping.

I have to find another solution!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 18th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Well, maybe Joan could talk her quilt shop into buying one for their
displays and then "borrow" it when she need it?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 18th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I once photographed a twin quilt from an upstairs window ..after laying the
quilt on the lawn below as
I had no clothesline...no one around to hold it..and wanted the outdoor
lighting. It really worked
out well !!
Mary in VT

Old August 18th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default Frame for holding quilts to photograph.... 2 Done and PhotographyQuestion

Well, sort of. VBG
Long story, short... I made a "pavilion" to use at SCA events. It is
huge when put up (14'x 21', 7' high at the outside and about 9' at
center.) And sturdy, you can actually lean on the uprights and it
doesn't move at all. VBG
I use a makeshift frame using some of the poles and stuff from the
pavilion frame to hold quilts for photo purposes. It works sort of.
Depends partly on the wind and where I can manage to set it up.

Frame parts I use: 4 pieces of conduit each the same length (about 7'),
2 short pieces of conduit for "feet" at the bottom, 2 right angle
"elbow" pieces to hold the conduit at the top, and 2 "T" joints at the
bottom, to hold the uprights and the "feet" at the bottom.
Essentially I make a big square shape with the feet perpendicular to the
uprights.

You could probably pick up heavyweight pvc pipe and joins to do the same
type of thing. G To hold the quilts in place I use binder clips that
I tie onto the crosspiece with ribbon. That way I can change the quilts
a bit easier. The ribbon allows me to slide the clips a bit and all I
have to do is clamp on the quilt. We have decided that we need
something to hold the sides of the quilts steady, so will add clips on
longer ribbons at the sides. Maybe with some elastic too..... will have
to play with it.

If you look at my Quilts 1 album you can see the frame I am using in
some of the pictures. It isn't perfect, but it does the job. VBG

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 19th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article , "Pati C."
wrote:

[...]

It occurs to me, Pati, that you could also put the top conduit through
the quilt's sleeve instead of using the clamps. Or wouldn't that work?
All in all, your solution looks pretty good, given a place to store 7'
pieces of conduit!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 19th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I had a room with door near a corner, and door to walk-in closet was
on adjoining wall, closet door was close to entry door. Used a length
of PVC braced across the top of the two open door to hang all sorts of
project for photos. Pull up the blinds [window faced south] and
usually had good light to snap away.

Simple, inexpensive, and only the length of PVC to store.

Ginger in CA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877.../set-721576005...

Old August 19th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:57:07 -0700, "Pati C."
wrote:

Well, sort of. VBG
Long story, short... I made a "pavilion" to use at SCA events. It is
huge when put up (14'x 21', 7' high at the outside and about 9' at

Oh, Pati, I hadn't thought of SCA gear for holding quilts! We have a
cabin style tent with poles that would work wonderfully. Additionally,
we have these clamps that hold tiki torches on the deck rails. I
could use the clamps to hold the two tallest upright tent poles up
beside the railing, mount a cross pole on top, clip the quilt to the
top pole, and be in business.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at