Leftover Fan Squares=Kitchen Upgrade

Old August 16th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

Default Leftover Fan Squares=Kitchen Upgrade

On Aug 15, 12:37 pm, "Kate G." wrote:
Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of making
some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

Kate,
You can buy "special" heat resistant stuff to put inside them too.
Kind of spendy though!

John,
Nice job! I really like those.

Launie, in Oregon

Old August 16th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I do that. I prefer cast iron cookware. Works just fine.
Sometimes I use the good parts for backing on potholders too.
It is also a most wonderous way to get rid of the horrible ugly towels
that Great-Aunt Mergatroide gave you.

I used old towels to back a wooby for a dog once, but he kept turning
it over to sleep on the towel side no matter how many times his owner
turned the fancy side up. I call it a wooby because that mutt dragged
it around with him all over the place. If I ever do such a thing again
it is going to be denim or canvas on the back and towels on the front.

NightMist

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:45:55 -0700, "Val"
wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, Kate. My next project is a kitchen set for a
friend. Blender cover, tab top hand towels and hot pads. I was going to use
some face cloths that have gone raggedy on the edges but still good in the
middle, four layers thick since I know most of their cooking is done in cast
iron...mucho-hot-O! Would that work? You really do lovely work, John, very
nice indeed!

Val

"Kate G." wrote in message
Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of
making some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MI

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had four too many squares left over from the Fan Quilt so here is
what I spent the morning doing. The blue one shows the back pocket and
is a companion to the single one shown.
It was speed sewing at it's best. Great fun and my wife loved them.
She put away the other pads that we had been using and hung these up
on the stove righ away without a monemts hesitation.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635mfeCbm

Enjoy,

John

--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old August 16th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"NightMist" wrote in message
It is also a most wonderous way to get rid of the horrible ugly towels
that Great-Aunt Mergatroide gave you.

Just what is it with Ol' Great-Aunt Mergatroide?? The one advantage to
living in earthquake country is that all the butt ugly vases, lamps and dust
catching "what were you thinking" knick knacks she gives are the ones
tragically "broken" during the rumblers. tsk,tsk,tsk

Val

Old August 16th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Silver cloth and applique

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:25:05 -0700, John
wrote:

I traded back for another 1008 mechanical as I just didn't like the
way the Activa 220 sewed. Something about the way the machine didn't
stop when you took your foot off the pedal. It either continued on to
needle up or needle down depending on how it was set. I like a machine
to stop, Right Now if I take the power off. Probably comes from having
learned on mechanical machines and that was the first computerized one
I owned. The number of decorative stitches on the 1008 is rather
limited so I will work within the range that it provides. Nothing to
over the top at this point. An interesting aside, I went to the local
quilt show and saw one of my wifes friends quilt that was made up of
squares that had been heavily appliqued. She has a top of the line
machine and boy did she strut her stuff. Some of the most complex
stuff that I have ever seen. It is nice to see something that is made
by somebody that really knows how to opperate the machine. It makes me
feel so limited, but she has spent a long time quilting and is very
accomplished. The machine just adds another element to her range of
skills.

John

You know all those fancy machine stitches can be done by hand too,
right?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 16th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

We used to move every couple years. Amazing how those
'uglies' were the ones that broke in the moving
process! Now that we are 'staying put' I've developed
fumble fingers.
PAT

Old August 16th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Great-Aunt Mergatroide gave us a brass lamp that is too tough to break and
too heavy to steal. Any suggestions? Polly

Old August 16th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I would swap it to you for the one I got that she won in a bingo game,
but alas! it was broken in a move.

NightMist

Old August 17th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Great-Aunt Mergatroide gave us a brass lamp that is too tough to break and
too heavy to steal. Any suggestions? Polly

Perhaps it could be irreparably damaged in a self-defense session
against one of the resident 'gators?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 17th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

boat anchor?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 17th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 16, 4:22 pm, Debra wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:25:05 -0700, John

You know all those fancy machine stitches can be done by hand too,
right?
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

I was thinking that this would be a good project to set up on the
quilting frame and delve into the world of hand quilting, rather than
machine stitching. We shall see what develops. We are having 22
windows installed next week so quilting is on hold for awhile. After
the dust settles I can dive into it. I bought some of the fabric to be
used, today, at Joannes, with the coupons I got in the mail and on
line.

John

Bernina news -- BSR upgrade the black rose Quilting 0 July 9th 05 05:23 PM
UPGRADE kteedidit Machine Knit 0 November 30th 03 01:43 PM
upgrade PE-Design?? Joanne1 Sewing 1 August 25th 03 08:09 PM