OT Good news at my house!

Old August 14th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT Good news at my house!

Well, she's creeping along Kathy. She still doesn't have any feeling on the
bottom of her foot which concerns the heck out of me but doesn't seem to
bother the docs quite as much. She started back working last week and it's
been a struggle from a wheelchair and crutches. She's a high school band
director and marching band camp has started. I've been out helping her a
bit and her prince of a boyfriend has been a huge help to her. If she's up
on her crutches, her foot swells and turns purple and get unconfortable
quickly. BUT she does say it's not hurting as much. So I guess that's
progress. I think it's going to take a long, long time to get everything
resolved. And as I've said before....as long as it DOES get better...we can
be patient. Thanks for much for asking. It's been a wild month around
here.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
Congratulations!

How is your daughter doing with the broken leg?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"KJ" wrote in message
DS got engaged to his long time girlfriend yesterday! Hooray! They have
been together for about 8 years, she's been to the Peace Corps and back
and they are both in graduate school at different schools. It looks
like they are finally going to get their act together and be in the same
place for a loooooong time! We just love her, so this is great news!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 14th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Huge hugs to her from someone who's BTDT far too many times! Yes, those
injuries do seem like they take forever to heal.

Old August 14th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

Happy Dancin' for ya! (and for your DS and future DIL).
My youngest is 25 and I can't wait for him to "grow up and get his head on
straight!"

ME-Judy

Old August 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Broken bones (was OT Good news at my house!)

I've broken my left ankle 8 times, my right one 7 times. Last break was 16
weeks in a cast, followed by another 16 weeks of PT twice a week before I
could walk. Let's just say I'm *damn* good on crutches. *big grin*

(For those who are now overly concerned about me, my doctors finally decided
I drew the short straw in the gene pool when they were handing out tendons.
I haven't broken my ankle since the orthopedist decided to have me build up
the ankle muscles to take over the job.)
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"KJ" wrote in message
Numerous times?? Wow.

Old August 15th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

This is long but if it helps it'll be worth it:

Just cause I just went thru mega testing for why my toes and top of left
foot kept breaking, I thought I'd share this with you: ---they found 2
things (both genetically related) I set my foot down wrongly and an orthodic
corrects that, and I'm losing Vit D by NOT going out in the sun WITHOUT
sunscreen. Dr says he is seeing more of this than ever in his
lifetime......ppl are NOT getting enuf sun directly on their skin so the
amount of broken bones in 'our generation' has increased. So now, every AM,
I sit out back in tank top and shorts and NO SHOES for total of 15 min. My
skin prickles after 10 min so I come in and go back a couple of hours later
for the last 5--it's hotter then but I still NEED those 15 min. Between
using sunscreen and not being able to be out that much when we lived in
B'splat (smog) has taken a toll on me personally. At least he has NOT told
me I need to take another pill : ) Next time you see him ask about Vit D,
even if you DO drink milk, which is another thing that I can't do.

Butterfly (FWIW)

t...

Old August 15th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:52:31 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

I've broken my left ankle 8 times, my right one 7 times. Last break was 16
weeks in a cast, followed by another 16 weeks of PT twice a week before I
could walk. Let's just say I'm *damn* good on crutches. *big grin*

(For those who are now overly concerned about me, my doctors finally decided
I drew the short straw in the gene pool when they were handing out tendons.
I haven't broken my ankle since the orthopedist decided to have me build up
the ankle muscles to take over the job.)

So instead of spraining or overstretching tendons and ligaments you
break bones. Wow.

Debra in VA, who's spent way too much time in various casts for soft
tissue ankle damage.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 15th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Butterflywings" wrote in message

Next time you see him ask about Vit D, even if you DO drink milk, which is
another thing that I can't do.

I take Vit D and calcium every day because I'm allergic to milk.

I probably get plenty of sun, because all of my aerobic exercise is outside.
I just can't stand doing aerobic stuff inside. So although I do use
sunscreen, I'm outside a good 4+ hours a week, plus my gardening time. Bone
density scan was great, so my doctor is satisfied with my calcium / vitamin
D intake.

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Old August 15th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

wrote:

I've broken my left ankle 8 times, my right one 7 times. Last break was 16
weeks in a cast, followed by another 16 weeks of PT twice a week before I
could walk. Let's just say I'm *damn* good on crutches. *big grin*

(For those who are now overly concerned about me, my doctors finally
decided
I drew the short straw in the gene pool when they were handing out
tendons.
I haven't broken my ankle since the orthopedist decided to have me build
up
the ankle muscles to take over the job.)

So instead of spraining or overstretching tendons and ligaments you
break bones. Wow.

I do both. The tendon is loose, so I fall, which gives me a sprain, and when
I hit bottom, the bone breaks. Not fun to recover from -- the bright side is
that gives me LOTS of incentive to do my exercises!