THIS IS REALLY GREAT AND IT REALLY WORKS!

Old February 1st 05, 12:26 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/1/05 7:05 AM, in article ,
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:43:35 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

I know what it is - they think they`re being all posh and that it`s a French
word (with the silent HAITCH!!! LOL! Poor deluded things.

Pat P

If they're so keen on French perhaps they'll get Notre Dame right now?
That should be pronounced the French way.

But here we are English and never did get on with the French (and vice
versa) so we pronounce the English word herbs as herbs. If you are
speaking French or reading a French menu the pronunciation is 'erb.

Do you think we should teach them how to pronounce Warwick and
Keswick?

Sally

And throw in Worcestershire too please -

Hey plain old Worcester can throw people for a loop!

Cheryl

Old February 1st 05, 12:34 PM
Dr. Brat

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hey plain old Worcester can throw people for a loop!

Can always tell if people are from around here by the way they say
"Gloucester!"

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 1st 05, 12:57 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/1/05 7:34 AM, in article
t, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hey plain old Worcester can throw people for a loop!

Can always tell if people are from around here by the way they say
"Gloucester!"

Elizabeth

Forgot about that one! Or any of the 'boros, 'bourghs (Middleboro,
Westbourgh.....)

Cheryl

Old February 1st 05, 02:03 PM
Lucille

"Pat P" wrote in message

"Lucille" wrote in message

"Gill Murray" wrote in message
Sally Swindells wrote:
Always, always Herbs with an H here. The advert for 'erbal shampoo
always causes great hilarity - why don't advertisers check the
pronunciation of the country they're trying to sell to.

Can remember watching a Morning TV show which had some sort of healthy
breakfast place in Los Angeles on and the interviewers started to
giggle when every other word was 'erbs and ended up almost back to
back desperately trying to stop. But the 'erbs kept coming. One of
those memorable TV moments they show over and over again when they
need to make some cheap programmes.

Sally

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:37:17 GMT, Gill Murray
wrote:

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the
dropped "H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Well, Sally,
I came to this land from southern England 43 years ago, and in most
aspects I have adjusted well. ( Actually, I think being a Maritimer
would fill all my needs!).However "erbs" grinds my gears so badly that I
want to scream!!
Gillian

Scream away Gillian. erb it has always been in the U.S. and erb it shall
remain. We speak American English, you speak British English, and hardly
ever the twain shall meet..

Of course you guys don't know how to spell either, so what's to be done
about that?

Lucille

Who`s going to strangle her? LOL! You`re nearest, Gill!!! Those bloody
`erbs of theirs really rattle my cage too!!!

Pat P

I'm just trying to help you keep your blood circulating !! I am also a born
in Brooklyn person, with an accent that immediately identifies me to anyone
that I speak to and I'm convinced it's the only correct way of speaking.

And no, lest you think that, I don't have the stereotypical one that you saw
in the movies, just a decent "Nu Yawk" accent.

Lucille

Old February 1st 05, 02:27 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I think that it is wonderful INTERSTING , how people from different
places pronounce the same words ,, it is like listening to a Chorus,
People like Birds , can speak in many different musical tunes.
Why should you call somebody lazy , because his/her pronounciation is
different than yours??? and why do you think somebody sounds Dumb if
all their lives , they are used to speak different than you? maybe you
lack knowledge of how to listen to other people , voices ,
pronounciations and Ideas ?
mirjam

You should hear how people from South Carolina speak. I'm from New York and I
can barely understand people from the deep south especially if they are lazy and
don't care how dumb they sound. My next door neighbor is from Texas, southwest
of where we live in Texas and I cannot understand a lot of what she says.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:56:23 +0000 (UTC), Sally Swindells
opined:

Nowadays - the present day
Oxford Concise Dictionary.

Yes, we have a lot of regional accents, some of which are completely
unintelligible to outsiders, although television seems to have ironed
out some of the really strong ones, especially in the young.

Sally

It sure sounds sexier coming from British, than from American mouths! I'm not
too sure "nowadays" is an actual word, is it? Truly curious. I would much
prefer when Kate Winslet speaks in American film that she use her English
accent. She does American well, but her's is so much nicer. I envy you Brits
for your proper "sounding" speech. However, as illustrated in the film, "My Fair
Lady," you do have your fair share of blathering speakers. Yes?

Old February 1st 05, 02:30 PM
Pat P

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Unless you're French!

Sally

Oh no, Vic - there`s NOTHING correct about pronouncing it "`erbs!"

Pat P

Have you just HEARD the mess the French make of trying to say Theatre? My
poor friend Michele could NEVER get the hang of the English version,
although she was pretty fluent otherwise. Mind you, my 45 year-old daughter
still can`t say "strawberry" unless she REALLY concentrates. Michele could
say it better than her, even though it came out as "strowberry". Our Jane
usually says "Storebies"!!!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Pat P

"escape" wrote in message
Maybe you should learn reading comprehension in other languages.

That wasn`t fair, Vic! You know me, I don`t usually stick up for Mirjam, but
I think she comprehended that little lot pretty well on this occasion!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 02:41 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Dr. Brat" wrote
Can always tell if people are from around here by the way they say
"Gloucester!"

In the words of the Proclaimers, "I can say Saskatchewan without starting
to stutter"---we can always tell when commercials were recorded elsewhere,
as down east actors rarely get Saskatchewan sorted out properly.
Dawne

Old February 1st 05, 02:53 PM
Tegan

Pat P wrote:

Ssshh! Do you think we might lay it on a bit thick for Americans,

just for
the hell of it?

;-))

Pat P

Who, you? Never! LOL.. that being my first trip out of the country at
this "late age", even though I thought I was prepared for it, I do have
to admit, being pegged a Foreigner (who, me?) the minute I opened my
mouth did catch me off guard. The desk clerk at the hotel we stayed at
in Wales had the most intriguing accent, but bless her heart, I know
she thought I had to be dim. I'd get so caught up in the melody of her
voice, I'd miss out completely on what she was actually saying.
Tegan

AD - Busy in the Great Black Swamp tonight!!! Tinkster Beads 1 December 20th 04 06:47 AM
Comm- great unmounteds LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 February 25th 04 11:41 PM
great deals LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 January 29th 04 04:05 PM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM