THIS IS REALLY GREAT AND IT REALLY WORKS!

Old February 1st 05, 11:02 AM

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

I was not referring to Pat's teasing about Oxford English, but about
Darla's tendency to correct the grammar of others. It's a pet peeve

of
hers, people posting with mispellings or grammatical mistakes,
sometimes she lets them slide, other times she pounces.

Caryn

Oh FFS - who the hell cares. If Darla corrects my English, or my
grammar, I don't care. I don't get bent out of shape about it. You
are as bad Caryn in having your pet peeves as we all see. Give it a
rest will you ?

Now Darla, there's a host of grammatical errors for you and Caryn can
bring out jv to put me down and then maybe everyone will feel better.

Sheesh.

Again with this lie that I either am JV or control her?

I think she's funny, I agree with her a lot, but I am not her, nor do I
have any control over where and when she posts. She made me spew once
when she suggested I should listen to input from Sunflower about my
designs. I hardly think that I'd have ever suggested something so
outrageously offensive to my creative sensibilities.

Darla and I get along just fine, we disagree and agree, we respect each
other and tease each other.

Why you felt you had to try to cause strife between us I do not
understand, nor do I understand why you felt the need to perpetuate a
lie.

Caryn

Old February 1st 05, 11:11 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/31/05 9:20 PM, in article rHBLd.3948$0O4.1685@trnddc03, "Gill Murray"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/31/05 7:37 PM, in article 1bALd.1196$eD4.84@trnddc05, "Gill Murray"
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

(snip!)

Sally

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

Oh No, Cheryl, I thought you were h'educated!!

Gillian

My French teacher swore up and down that the "proper" pronunciation was
"erbs", my English teacher swore it was "ha-irbs".
But my FIL was "Ha-erb".

Face it - English, as a language, makes it's own rules up - as it goes
along!
Cheryl

Old February 1st 05, 12:00 PM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:43:35 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

I know what it is - they think they`re being all posh and that it`s a French
word (with the silent HAITCH!!! LOL! Poor deluded things.

Pat P

If they're so keen on French perhaps they'll get Notre Dame right now?
That should be pronounced the French way.

But here we are English and never did get on with the French (and vice
versa) so we pronounce the English word herbs as herbs. If you are
speaking French or reading a French menu the pronunciation is 'erb.

Do you think we should teach them how to pronounce Warwick and
Keswick?

Sally

Old February 1st 05, 12:05 PM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:11:44 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

My French teacher swore up and down that the "proper" pronunciation was
"erbs", my English teacher swore it was "ha-irbs".
But my FIL was "Ha-erb".

Your French teacher spoke French, your English teacher spoke English
and your FIL's name was Herbert.

No prob!

Face it - English, as a language, makes it's own rules up - as it goes
along!
Cheryl

All languages evolve and new words have to be invented, like 'Mobile
phone'

Sally
Old February 1st 05, 12:06 PM
Sally Swindells

Unless you're French!

Sally

Oh no, Vic - there`s NOTHING correct about pronouncing it "`erbs!"

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 12:07 PM
Pat P

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

(snip!)

Sally

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the
dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

Oh No, Cheryl, I thought you were h'educated!!

Gillian

I 'oped she were but maybe not.

Has a side hissue, ain`t this going to drive them as `ates OT posts nuts?

Pat P

'es becos it's got a s'outing subject line.

OK - so we can be a bit LOUD at times! (s`outing??? Only you could drop your
haitches in the MIDDLE of a word!)

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 12:09 PM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:57:17 GMT, "Pat P"

Why? It`s a valid opinion. A Southern accent DOES sound very laid-back - a
new York accent is ugly - at least to my ears.

Here I find that the Birmingham accent is the most attrocious assault on the
ears, closely followed by the Liverpool one. Unfortunately they give an
often mistaken impression of ignorance, too. Yet I could listen to a Geordie
accent, or even better, a Western Isles accent forever. Birmingham just
grates. I suppose it`s like music - some you love and some just hits the
wrong spot and makes you shudder! I wouldn`t be without any of them, all the
same.

Pat P

Going to Gardening Society AGM tonight and I know I wont be able to
understand much of what the Chairman says - he's from Norfolk. Now
there is an accent!

Sally

Old February 1st 05, 12:10 PM
Pat P

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
.. .

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

I know what it is - they think they`re being all posh and that it`s a
French
word (with the silent HAITCH!!! LOL! Poor deluded things.

Pat P

If they're so keen on French perhaps they'll get Notre Dame right now?
That should be pronounced the French way.

But here we are English and never did get on with the French (and vice
versa) so we pronounce the English word herbs as herbs. If you are
speaking French or reading a French menu the pronunciation is 'erb.

Do you think we should teach them how to pronounce Warwick and
Keswick?

Sally

Try getting them to pronounce Happisburgh, Stiffkey, or even Cley! They`ll
probably shoot themselves! Mind you, if you`re a furriner to these parts,
you might, too!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 12:11 PM
Pat P

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
. ..

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

I know what it is - they think they`re being all posh and that it`s a
French
word (with the silent HAITCH!!! LOL! Poor deluded things.

Pat P

If they're so keen on French perhaps they'll get Notre Dame right now?
That should be pronounced the French way.

But here we are English and never did get on with the French (and vice
versa) so we pronounce the English word herbs as herbs. If you are
speaking French or reading a French menu the pronunciation is 'erb.

Do you think we should teach them how to pronounce Warwick and
Keswick?

Sally

And throw in Worcestershire too please -

Not to mention Leicestershire! LOL!

Now really, Sheena and Sally, we shouldn`t mock the afflicted!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 12:17 PM
Pat P

"Tegan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it this, Caryn?

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."

Before I went over to visit Claire, I (wrongly) thought I'd be fine
with understanding the different expressions and accents. I mean, I do
spend most of my day watching (or listening to, at any rate) BBC
America, and I've been taking advantage of Netflix to find movies with
British actors that have never been released over here. HA!! For the
first couple of days of my stay, I truly though I had to be the most
stupid person on fhe planet! I was lucky if I caught one word in five
for a while. Once I got a bit more comfortable, it got easier, but I
know there must still be people left with a poor impression of that
poor, addled American...

Tegan

Ssshh! Do you think we might lay it on a bit thick for Americans, just for
the hell of it?

;-))

Pat P

AD - Busy in the Great Black Swamp tonight!!! Tinkster Beads 1 December 20th 04 06:47 AM
Comm- great unmounteds LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 February 25th 04 11:41 PM
great deals LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 January 29th 04 04:05 PM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM