THIS IS REALLY GREAT AND IT REALLY WORKS!

Old February 1st 05, 09:25 AM
Pat P

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Don't often watch childrens tv - there's a set of gardening programmes
(no doubt our US cousins have noticed our spelling), around the same
time, but suppose we should be glad there's a 9.00p.m. bad language
watershed.

Its the rather twee pronunciation that annoys me. It seems to have
started with TV and people who wanted to appear refined - perhaps they
were conscious of their accents. They no longer say 'little Hospital'
with the last part of the word almost 'tul'. They now almost go short-
tongued and say litttle hospitttal.

The other thing which annoys me is the inability to say the letter H
as aitch. Now it has become haitch. Again I think it is a desire to
'speak proper'! I even heard it in an advert today for a record from
Haitch MV.

Know wha I mean!

Sally

Oh - the good old glottal stop! Does it occur in any other language, I
wonder?

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:29 AM
Pat P

"Gill Murray" wrote in message
Sally Swindells wrote:

Don't often watch childrens tv -

Meant to say, neither do I! I used to watch quite a few when they were
informative (Many years ago!) but they have mostly degenerated into slime
throwing, screaming inanities.

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:40 AM
Pat P

"Lucille" wrote in message

"Gill Murray" wrote in message
Sally Swindells wrote:
Always, always Herbs with an H here. The advert for 'erbal shampoo
always causes great hilarity - why don't advertisers check the
pronunciation of the country they're trying to sell to.

Can remember watching a Morning TV show which had some sort of healthy
breakfast place in Los Angeles on and the interviewers started to
giggle when every other word was 'erbs and ended up almost back to
back desperately trying to stop. But the 'erbs kept coming. One of
those memorable TV moments they show over and over again when they
need to make some cheap programmes.

Sally

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:37:17 GMT, Gill Murray
wrote:

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs, I
cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Well, Sally,
I came to this land from southern England 43 years ago, and in most
aspects I have adjusted well. ( Actually, I think being a Maritimer would
fill all my needs!).However "erbs" grinds my gears so badly that I want
to scream!!
Gillian

Scream away Gillian. erb it has always been in the U.S. and erb it shall
remain. We speak American English, you speak British English, and hardly
ever the twain shall meet..

Of course you guys don't know how to spell either, so what's to be done
about that?

Lucille

Who`s going to strangle her? LOL! You`re nearest, Gill!!! Those bloody
`erbs of theirs really rattle my cage too!!!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:43 AM
Pat P

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/31/05 7:37 PM, in article 1bALd.1196$eD4.84@trnddc05, "Gill Murray"
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

(snip!)
Sally

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

I know what it is - they think they`re being all posh and that it`s a French
word (with the silent HAITCH!!! LOL! Poor deluded things.

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:45 AM
Pat P

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/31/05 7:37 PM, in article 1bALd.1196$eD4.84@trnddc05, "Gill Murray"
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

(snip!)

Sally

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Herb was my FIL. I cook with 'erbs!

Cheryl

Oh No, Cheryl, I thought you were h'educated!!

Gillian

I 'oped she were but maybe not.

Has a side hissue, ain`t this going to drive them as `ates OT posts nuts?

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:46 AM
Pat P

"escape" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:37:17 GMT, Gill Murray
opined:

I have to admit, although most of the Americans I know talk of "erbs,
I cringe, because it was always "H"erbs in my family. Maybe the dropped
"H" came in when cockney was in favor, as in "My fair Lady".
Just pondering!

Gillian
Florida

Actually, it is correctly pronounced either way. I use the "H"erbs
pronunciation, but I'm a snob! Martha Stewart also uses the "H"erbs
pronunciation. I've heard Gwen Barclay and Madeline Hill (big herb people
in
the States) say, at conventions I used to attend for my job that it is
correctly
pronounced either way.

Oh no, Vic - there`s NOTHING correct about pronouncing it "`erbs!"

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:48 AM
Pat P

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:16:50 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
. ..
On 31 Jan 2005 06:10:47 -0800, "
wrote:

Pat P wrote:

Unfortunately no invader. Probably because my stuff has expanded into
a multitude of boxes under there - no room. Must clear a space
tomorrow.

Keep forgetting to look at the sea, its much too grey at the moment
tho we can hear it from the front of the house. Feel sorry for the
fishermen going out in those tiny boats.

Sally

You`re SO lucky having a bed you can get boxes under, Sally! Boy, the stuff
that I`d hide away under the bed if I could. It would certainly tidy the
house up.

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:57 AM
Pat P

"Alison" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:33:41 GMT, escape
wrote:

You should hear how people from South Carolina speak. I'm from New York
and I
can barely understand people from the deep south especially if they are
lazy and
don't care how dumb they sound. My next door neighbor is from Texas,
southwest
of where we live in Texas and I cannot understand a lot of what she says.

How incredibly judgemental to call a southern accent "lazy" and
"dumb"-sounding.

Alison

Why? It`s a valid opinion. A Southern accent DOES sound very laid-back - a
new York accent is ugly - at least to my ears.

Here I find that the Birmingham accent is the most attrocious assault on the
ears, closely followed by the Liverpool one. Unfortunately they give an
often mistaken impression of ignorance, too. Yet I could listen to a Geordie
accent, or even better, a Western Isles accent forever. Birmingham just
grates. I suppose it`s like music - some you love and some just hits the
wrong spot and makes you shudder! I wouldn`t be without any of them, all the
same.

Pat P

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 09:59 AM
Pat P

"escape" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:00:31 GMT, Gill Murray
opined:

wrote:

You should hear how people from South Carolina speak. I'm from New York
and I
can barely understand people from the deep south especially if they are
lazy and
don't care how dumb they sound. My next door neighbor is from Texas,
southwest
of where we live in Texas and I cannot understand a lot of what she
says.

How incredibly judgemental to call a southern accent "lazy" and
"dumb"-sounding.

Alison

Look at the source, Alison!!

Gillian

Oh for **** sake.

Thought you didn`t know what FFS meant, Vic? ROFLMAO!!!

Pat P

Old February 1st 05, 10:00 AM
Pat P

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
Lucille writes:

Of course you guys don't know how to spell either, so what's to be done
about that?

We could take away their U key so they'd have to spell color and neighbor
correctly?

Oh is THAT the problem? Someone has already taken yours?

Pat P

AD - Busy in the Great Black Swamp tonight!!! Tinkster Beads 1 December 20th 04 06:47 AM
Comm- great unmounteds LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 February 25th 04 11:41 PM
great deals LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 January 29th 04 04:05 PM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM