Oh - how it grew!

Old August 21st 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Default Oh - how it grew!

Piper's (cavalier king charles) Mum emailed yesterday afternoon to
send me a link to a machine embroidery for this breed - hint! I knew
where there was a prettier one so I sent her the link for my version -
more expensive but prettier even though it was only a head shot - then
I sent her another link to a full body picture which was half-price on
sale at another store. She asked if my machine handled this type of
project and if so "would I be interested in stitching both of them out
for her on several items?" - I said that my machine did and that I
would! I also told her that I would place her order after browsing
the embroidery sale on that particular site because I had already seen
several motifs that interested me (some owls but mostly tile designs
for $1.50 each)...I placed the order yesterday evening and almost
immediately afterwards, I received another email to let me know that
the 'cardinal on that first site also looked interesting'... I think
that I have persuaded her to wait on the cardinal - there might be a
sale before Xmas??
This morning, I woke to an email from the embroidery company offering
me 10 more embroideries for $1.60 each! Naturally, I have now browsed
the site again and have 'found' 10 embroideries to add to my shopping
cart - they are the owls and the Xmas lace embroideries that I decided
yesterday that I really didn't need - I think that I have saved more
than $50 already!!
Now, I'm hoping that my embroidery module is still in good working
order - its been a very long time since I played with it. I also hope
that the items that my friend wants me to work with are easy ones -
she hasn't told me yet.

Time to stop reading newsletters...I've been getting into too much
trouble lately! jennellh
Old August 21st 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

What kind of embroidery machine do you have? I bought a Pfaff 7570 on eBay
but have never quite figured it out (the embroidery part of it). This
summer I was gifted a Janome 10000 -- and plan to take classes in the fall
on how to use it. I'd really like to figure it out!

--
Kate in MI

Old August 21st 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

What site was it? I spent 4 days cleaning up my embroidery files and
getting all 17,000 of them in order. Time for some new ones.
Gen

Old August 21st 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

I have a Pfaff 7570 and a 2124. Does anybody know if either of those
will do "good" embroidery? All the equipment is just taking up space
on a shelf in my already overcrowded sewing room. I've got a bunch of
those cartridges too with designs. But nobody to show me what to do
with any of it.

Sunny
Old August 21st 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

On Aug 21, 3:52*pm, "Gen" wrote:
What site was it? *I spent 4 days cleaning up my embroidery files and
getting all 17,000 of them in order. *Time for some new ones.
Gen

"Jennifer in Ottawa" wrote in ...

[...]

www.emblibrary.com and http://www.advanced-embroidery-designs.com/ are
the two that I've been dealing with. Embroidery Library has the 'dog
days' half price sale happening now until the end of August with extra
sales that can be applied to your purchase - all the info is on the
website. You weren't planning on doing much else for the next couple
of days? jennellh

the site again and have 'found' 10 embroideries to add to my shopping
cart - they are the owls and the Xmas lace embroideries that I decided
yesterday that I really didn't need - I think that I have saved more
than $50 already!!
Now, I'm hoping that my embroidery module is still in good working
order - its been a very long time since I played with it. *I also hope
that the items that my friend wants me to work with are easy ones -
she hasn't told me yet.

Time to stop reading newsletters...I've been getting into too much
trouble lately! *jennellh- Hide quoted text -

Old August 21st 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Hi Sunny, you will only know what your machines are capable of by
trying out their embroidery functions.
To look at the embroideries on your cards - insert a card into the
side slot (mine has A or B and either one can be used) BUT the sewing
machine MUST be turned off while you insert the card - same rule
applies when you remove the card - the machine must be turned off also
when you attach the embroidery module to your machine - it must be
turned off.
To play with your embroidery function: hoop up some plain muslin or
other non-patterned cotton - if you don't have any type of stabilizer
on hand - use flannelette or even newpaper (without hooping it; just
let it slide under the hoop and use the baste function of the
module)...once you have your fabric hooped and attached to the
embroidery module - the machine reads the card for the motif and then
it reads the size of the hoop that you have attached (if the hoop is
too small - the message will show on the screen and you can either re-
size of use a larger hoop)...the program tells you which is your first
colour and also which colour is the next in line so that you can be
ready for the changeover.
Each motif will also list the number of thread colours - if you have a
booklet that came with any of the cards, the thread colours/brand will
also be listed though you certainly don't have to use the exact
threads. I don't think that I have followed any thread guides yet and
I use all types of threads from old cotton or polyester sewing thread
to rayon or cotton embroidery threads.
To start digitizing your own embroidery motifs is another story
altogether.
Hope this info makes you want to try the embroidery functions - I
always think that Murphy's Law applies though! If I leave the machine
to sew on its own - the thread breaks and anyway I find it interesting
to watch while the machine stitches out a motif - jennellh

Old August 22nd 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I haven't had time to look through the embroidery website to see what I
might like to buy. But that's certainly a good deal, isn't it? I've
enjoyed everything I've purchased from them through the years. Can't wait
to see what all you decided on!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 22nd 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I love Embroidery Library designs, even though they are very dense. Their
shading is fantastic.
Gen

Old August 22nd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Embroidery Library also give 2 free designs every month and they are
always worth having. jennellh

On Aug 21, 7:39*pm, "KJ" wrote:
I haven't had time to look through the embroidery website to see what I
might like to buy. *But that's certainly a good deal, isn't it? *I've
enjoyed everything I've purchased from them through the years. *Can't wait
to see what all you decided on!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz
"Jennifer in Ottawa" wrote in ...

Old August 22nd 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Sunny, It's not so much the machine to get good designs to stitch out. The
secret to good designs is in the stabilizer. Some people use any old thing
they have around for stabilizer. Bad idea. If you hoop your fabric with
the stabilizer, make sure you don't pull it TOO tight. That distorts it,
and once it's released from the hoop, it will pucker. I've given up hooping
fabric. I hoop the stabilizer and spray baste the fabric to it. I also,
most of the time put a basting stitch around the design area to help it stay
in place. If you want to
email me later I'll try to help you. I'll be gone for a week starting
tomorrow.
Gen