Giant Dahlia paper templates

Old August 8th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Default Giant Dahlia paper templates

I just got the book to make a giant dahlia quilt, and it includes a boat
load of paper templates. Any suggestions for the best way to use the
templates and get the pieces cut out accurately? Would you transfer the
paper templates to plastic? Other favorite methods?

Trixie

Old August 8th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 7, 8:44*pm, "Trixie" wrote:
I just got the book to make a giant dahlia quilt, and it includes a boat
load of paper templates. Any suggestions for the best way to use the
templates and get the pieces cut out accurately? Would you transfer the
paper templates to plastic? Other favorite methods?

Trixie

I have cut them out carefully and then spray glue affixed them to
sheets of plastic, preferably thicker rather than thinner, and then
cut away the plastic outside the perimeter of the template. It works
for me.

John
Old August 8th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

i'd probly make templates from empty cereal box cardboard.
i do all applique and EPP that way and so far has all has worked out nicely
for me.
just take care you are precise both drawing and cutting them out.

what method will you use to sew all those shapes into the dahlia?
j.

"Trixie" wrote...

Old August 8th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good for you, Trixie. I've always loved the Dahlia. Do your tracing
patiently and carefully; just a few at a time. If you go the plastic route,
I've read that the heavy plastic base used in packaged bacon works okay.
Haven't tried it. I like sandpaper for templates. That stuff won't slip
and slide. Polly

Old August 8th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate

Hey Trixie

Another idea for keeping templates from sliding especially if you are
using plastic. I use double sided scotch tape. This pattern is fun
to make. It was one of the first patterns I tried. Oh did I learn a
lot, especially patience. It was my first time with curves.

Have fun making it.

kate T. South Mississippi
Old August 8th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have, successfully, stuck paper templates to thin card and very
carefully cut them out. I used photo mount spray glue - so no lumps.
..
In message , Trixie
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

then what sewing method did you use with those?
my reply before said i'd use cereal box cardboard and probably EPP them.
tho i havent done a Dahlia so i could be talking thru my hat.
j.

"Patti" wrote...
I have, successfully, stuck paper templates to thin card and very
carefully cut them out. I used photo mount spray glue - so no lumps.
--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

"Trixie" writes

Old August 8th 09, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, sorry J., I haven't done a Dahlia. That method was used when I had
to do some templates for the Snowflake (von Koch's).
..
In message , J* writes

Old August 8th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

I haven't looked through the book much yet, just enough to see the
templates, so I'm not sure what method is recommended. It is just such a
nice pattern.

Trixie

Old August 9th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

sorry, Trixie,
what is the name of the book? author?
just want to check this one out.