Marking Michelle's quilt top

Old August 18th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Default Marking Michelle's quilt top

I wonder if humidity has any part of that?
Taria
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
My hera marker has never had any success. Any tricks to using one? Polly

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 18th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

About Press 'n Seal .... the copy cat store brand is not the same! It
doesn't even do its assigned kitchen job well. So, I guess it is best to go
with the real deal. NAYY.

Pat in Virginia

"Patti" wrote in message
Not much help, as I don't mark my quilts either! However, I have been
able to come up with enough ways of working out how to do what quilting I
want that I can do more or less any quilting that I want or am able to do.
My quilting repertoire is expanding a bit, so I just have to devise new
methods where necessary. I am pretty good at eye-balling a line (straight
or curved) bridging two points, provided they are not *too far apart; and
I also do a lot of 'quilting round freezer paper', or through Press 'n'
Seal.

Old August 18th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

ROFL!!!!!!!
Humidity has a part of EVERYTHING!!
Pat in Hot, HUMID Virginia

Old August 18th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I've been using a method that uses the Golden Threads paper and a pounce pad
which looks like a blackboard eraser that has chalk inside.
I trace my design on to the paper. Then I remove the thread from my
machine. I stitch the design on the paper making holes just close enough
together to not perforate the paper completely. To mark the quilt, pin the
paper with the bottom side up.....so it's the bumpy side where the holes
were punched through. Then rub the pounce pad (don't pounce...rub) over the
paper so the bumpy holes grab the chalk out of the "eraser". The chalk
brushes off after quilting. There is also a type of chalk that irons off.
"Miracle Chalk" is the name, I believe. Google it.
This works nicely for a couple reasons. First, you practice the design with
your machine to get a rhythm and muscle memory for the design. You can also
pin several layers of paper together and get several templates if you think
you'll need them. (But you can use one several times.) I also like the fact
that I can mark my design as the quilt is on the bed of the machine just
before I sew it. Lay down the paper, swipe the eraser and then stitch away.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Recently, I saw this comment from Michelle
The biggest reason for this is that I have never found a method to
mark the quilt yet and again, don't have the confidence to just wing it
without
marking first.

Please climb in here and tell Michelle what you use to mark a quilting
pattern on a quilt top. Mine is probably the most primitive. I use
Crayola Washable felt tip pins. I do Not leave it 'in' for very long and
I do wash my quilts when finished. So far, this simple method has worked
quite well.
[A warning: one summer I used one of those blue water-soluble
expensive pens to mark some embroidery for traveling. The heat in the car
did make those lines a very permanent black.]
Sometimes for just a general line of how far to curve this way and then
lean the other way, I use plain old white blackboard chalk. Kind of messy
but easy to remove. Polly

Old August 18th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Sorry Sally, I, too, reserve it for darker colours now - even with ink.
I am using the 'quilt round' method more, and doing much more free
motion.
FM daisies are very easy - just aim for a little circle at the centre,
rather than have all the petals meet at the same point - drawn thread
work springs to mind g And, as a bonus, they are all slightly
different from one another (well, mine are!).
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
The last time I tried machining through Press 'n' Seal was on a white
background. I had marked with a black pigma (Micron) pen and left it
overnight to dry well, but when the needle went through some of the
black was transferred through. I ended up appliqueing leaves in that
area instead of quilting them.

What sort of pen do you use? I have been saving Press 'n' Seal for
darker quilts, but am about to start quilting a pastel coloured baby
quilt, and it would be the easiest method. Perhaps I should just have a
practice at drawing daisies freehand.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 18th 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I bought my pounce ingredients last year, after encouragement from
reports he I haven't even opened the packet. I feel rushed and
short of time, but I suppose I just use my time wastefully? There are
several 'really must do' things to try when I get back from my little
holiday.

In message 8Zqim.12388$la3.1564@attbi_s22, KJ
writes

Old August 18th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

The magic pounce is good stuf (NAYY, just doing my job as Gadget
Queen). It seems to stay on well and does iron off 'like it says on
the tin'. I haven't got the hang of the sewmachine method of making
the pattern, but now I see where I was going wrong. Doing it smooth
side up closes all the pores. Duh! thank you for that. Shall
experiment now...

I somwetimes cut a stencil using both a double bladed stencil cutter
(mind your under knuckles when cutting thick plastic, ouchies!) and a
hot poker-soldering iron thingy. Remember to put in loads of little
bridges or the holes fall out, but otherwise a feather or cable repeat
can be done in no time. The joy of this is if you make a mistake with
the marking it is easy to erase. With pencils and chalks etc you
might have to resort to different colours where the mistakes are,
until you can wash them out later.

Add to that, cut stencils can be used again and again, so I hang them
on the wall for future use.

Golden Threads paper is good for tracing big designs and auditioning
them on the top before marking. I make a full-sized pattern and trace
it off on the wholecloth fabrics. Not so wonderful on dark colours
though,even with a lightbox (OK, patio window and sunshine, same
thing!)

I can't get the point of a hera marker. I've even watched people who
'know' how to use one making their marks. They don't seem to stay on
for long and maybe my eyesight isn't good enough, but I can't see the
marks well enough in the fist place. I use mine for poking and
prodding and sometimes for marking a very temporary line to indicate
quarterings or such like. Another downside is that you have to mark
the quilt already sandwiched, so unless you are drawing round a
template or marking as you go ( on a floor frame for example) it won't
stay on during the backing and batting process.

It might have something to do with the pudginess of battings as well.
More experimentation needed. Back to the lab...

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

On Aug 18, 7:26*am, Patti wrote:
[...]

pat on the hill- Hide quoted text -

Old August 18th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Just remembered - I bought some 'pounce chalk' at Malvern last year (do
you remember Pat, you bought some too I think - have you forgotten yours
too?!)

I also have one of the little coloured chalk rollers that look like a
lipstick case, and I've got some water soluble pencils too - so should
win one way or another!

Thanks for all the reminders - brain a little dead at the moment.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old August 18th 09, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

So you hadn't forgotten it (see my previous post written before I'd read
yours).

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old August 18th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

When marking is essential, I use a mechanical chalk pencil. Works fine
with templates, comes in lots of colors. Easy to swap the "leads". But
I do avoid marking.
While the chalk hold up pretty well, you can't mark the entire top,
only a section at a time. So no tracing from a book, for example. If I
want to do that, I use Press & Seal, tracing the design onto the
plastic with a silver permanent pen (Pigma). Let it dry well. The
plastic sticks where you want it and tears off afterwards.
If I need to do that more than a dozen times or so, it gets tedious.
So I also use tissue paper, tracing onto one sheet, then stitching
over the traced line through 6-10 sheets, with no thread in the
needle. Also tears away easily.
Roberta in D