Yarn suggestions

Old January 4th 05, 01:38 AM
Brenda Harris

Hi Joel,
I would suggest Briggs & Little from New Brunswick Canada. At $4.50 for a
113 Gram skein, it is great value and 100% wool. Wonderful yarn.
Brenda
Joel wrote in message ...
I'm starting work on 2 Aran sweaters - both will be wedding gifts for my
brother and his fiancee and will incorporate things like the "marriage
lines" and "tree of life" patterns. I'm having a time finding the right
yarn, however. I'm looking for a high-quality, 100% wool, worsted yarn
in natural colors that won't break the bank. The goal here is to make
sweaters that will last a couple lifetimes and won't become dated due to
color choice. I don't mind spending a little $$ on this to meet that
goal, but $12-$15/50g ball that I've seen seems a little steep. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Joel

Old January 4th 05, 09:17 PM
cknitter

Hello, I know well the feeling that pure wool yarns, in good colors, is
hard to find at a reasonable price. However, I have discovered
elann.com, which specializes in closeouts of brand-name yarns. I've
bought from them several times a year for several years, and always
been so very pleased. They also have some sort of bonus point system
which always takes off a few bucks from each of my orders, which helps
out with the shipping & handling.
You can always try ebay but sometimes you don't get the color you
thought you saw in the monitor.... or there are mothholes... or strange
odors. Best to ask first before bidding.
HTH, cknitter in MN

Old January 4th 05, 09:45 PM
Wooly

Bartlett
Harrisville
Jamieson's
Jamieson and Smith

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:41:30 -0800, Joel
spewed forth :

Old January 4th 05, 11:15 PM
Katherine

Yes, that is too much to pay for it. Patons makes a lovely Aran that is
about half that price. And it lasts forever.

Katherine

Old January 5th 05, 12:53 AM
Ranee Mueller

In article , Joel
wrote:

I'm starting work on 2 Aran sweaters - both will be wedding gifts for my
brother and his fiancee and will incorporate things like the "marriage
lines" and "tree of life" patterns. I'm having a time finding the right
yarn, however. I'm looking for a high-quality, 100% wool, worsted yarn
in natural colors that won't break the bank. The goal here is to make
sweaters that will last a couple lifetimes and won't become dated due to
color choice. I don't mind spending a little $$ on this to meet that
goal, but $12-$15/50g ball that I've seen seems a little steep. Any
ideas?

Let's see, Plymouth Galway, Cascade 220, Brown Sheep has a couple
worsted weight that are all wool or at least wool and mohair, I'm making
a gansey out of Reynolds Candide, and there's 1824 Wool just off the top
of my head. None of these are too pricey, and many of them come in 3
1/2 g balls.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Old January 5th 05, 01:15 AM

I find eBay better for an odd ball or two for a hat or a pair of socks. That
is where the easy bargins are. Sweater lots of yarn tend to get bid up to
the point where they are close to the LYS price. I have gotten very good
deals on sweater yarn through eBay, but it took great effort. Now I feel
that it is better to put the time into knitting than to spend all night
trying to game eBay!

I like Cottage Craft yarns in St Andrews, NB. They are all wool, slightly
oily, with great colors. Not so much natural colors, but really great and
subtle heathers. Cottage Craft 2-ply yarn is a bit lighter than Aran at 270
yards/4 oz and 21 stiches/ 4 inch on #6 US needles. (I live in California,
and a true Aran weight sweater is too warm for this area.) However, stitch
patterns show up very nicely on this yarn. I warn you that Cottage Craft
yarn has some vegetable matter in it. The price at US$4.00/ 4oz hank is
fair, and the colors really are great. However, the Cottage Craft yarn for
a boring, cream colored Aran is sitting upstairs in my stash right now, and
the matching hat is already on the needles. (www.cottagecraftwoollens.com)

I bought a duffel bag full of yarn (including yarn for a pair of Arans) on
our trip to GB last September, and much of it is still sitting in the stash
while the yarn on my needles is Cottage Craft. In fact, I traded some of
the stuff from Scotland for some Cottage Craft that a friend had left over.

Aaron

My only connection with Cottage Craft is that I like their yarn and I do not
like the prices and blandness of the widely distributed brands carried by
most yarn stores. I like to support local crafts people. It is just that
one of the local crafts people that I like to support is local to New
Brunswick, rather than to California.

oups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 01:18 AM
Wooly

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:15:59 GMT, spewed forth :

I bought a duffel bag full of yarn (including yarn for a pair of Arans) on
our trip to GB last September, and much of it is still sitting in the stash
while the yarn on my needles is Cottage Craft. In fact, I traded some of
the stuff from Scotland for some Cottage Craft that a friend had left over.

If any of that Scottish yarn needs a home...
Old January 5th 05, 01:54 AM

Wooly,

If it was your kind of yarn, it would already be on my needles! Sorry, it
is kinda boring commercial stuff. Just Yorkshire wool spun in Scotland
boring commercial stuff. Somebody made me an offer that the scotch in me
could not refuse.

OK! I liked the idea of Aran weight knitting faster than the worsted weight
that I usually knit.
A.

Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
Needing yarn / ribbon suggestions Polly Esther Quilting 2 August 22nd 03 02:56 PM
Online Yarn Sale -- Suggestions? Allaya Diep Yarn 3 August 6th 03 01:05 AM
Yarn Suggestions Els van Dam Yarn 0 July 27th 03 10:36 PM