Sewing room comment...

Old October 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Default Sewing room comment...

wrote:
(snip) I moved a van-load everyday for a week,

Good grief Helen - I am not worthy enough to be in your presence- just
*how* many books have you got?!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK

Old October 23rd 05, 12:45 AM
Bonnie Patterson

Sounds like us, we've just put in new shelves in the living room.
About 120 feet on two walls, it wasn't enough so we added another 40
feet in the dining room. They are full and those are for the hard back
books, there are over 1000 paperbacks in the basement. Many of these
books are informational books that are referred to frequently, range
from history, to DYI subjects, to dogs, to encyclopedias, and
QUILTING!

We were discussing our obsession with books with our Thursday evening
dinner group and one of the ladies said that when she moved she got
rid of all of her books. She only moved furniture, said that she would
buy more books. My SO and I said that we'd move the books and get rid
of the furniture, neither of us can give up our book "friends", but
we'd like new furniture!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:51:17 GMT, Taria
wrote:

Yep, kids had one when they had their first room. Then they got their
own rooms. Original little shelf now in storage shed.
DS has solved a big part of his shelving problem by leaving a bunch of
books at our desert house. That is ok but once in awhile he comes and
gets some. I had one there I was reading and he took it! OF all the
books he took one I was reading.

I don't understand the idea of kids that don't read much. Both of mine
always were voracious readers. One of my fondest things to do as a kid
was going to the library with dad. My kids are like that too.

To bring it back on topic, I have lots of quilting books. Even the one
on designing sewing rooms. Lots of great ideas.
Taria

Kate Dicey wrote:

We put short shelves in James's room when he was born, as he had several
books as Christening gifts! When we updated his room we replaced
those shelves with a whole wall full: almost six feet wide and floor to
ceiling! Somehow, they are always overflowing... Not all books, but a
fair few!

Old October 23rd 05, 01:55 PM
Kate Dicey

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

Sounds like us, we've just put in new shelves in the living room.
About 120 feet on two walls, it wasn't enough so we added another 40
feet in the dining room. They are full and those are for the hard back
books, there are over 1000 paperbacks in the basement. Many of these
books are informational books that are referred to frequently, range
from history, to DYI subjects, to dogs, to encyclopedias, and
QUILTING!

We were discussing our obsession with books with our Thursday evening
dinner group and one of the ladies said that when she moved she got
rid of all of her books. She only moved furniture, said that she would
buy more books. My SO and I said that we'd move the books and get rid
of the furniture, neither of us can give up our book "friends", but
we'd like new furniture!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

I'm in your camp! Some of my books would be hard to replace, and I
frequently re-read fiction. Furniture... Well, there too I can develop
quite a problem with bits of it, like the two beds my dad built and the
antique dining table and matching chairs!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 24th 05, 06:10 PM
Taria

Well, I am taking books and stuff : ) I am attached to
a lot of 'things'.BG When we had to evacuate for the fires
2 yrs. ago I learned what was important enough to go with.
Taria

Old October 29th 05, 05:34 PM
DrQuilter

DH is waiting hopefully, as if the TV was one of those rich relatives
you don't love....

Kate Dicey wrote:

You are sooooo right! We bought our new widescreen telly (yikes! A
whole 24"!) only after our 24 YO Grundig died of old age! New books
move in every week...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 29th 05, 06:07 PM
DrQuilter

I actually think it is very weird to enter a house and NOT see
bookshelves in the living room. I always hope they are filthy rich and
have a dedicated room for books.

We have tons of books, DH collects his science fiction books, I tend to
read fiction - I do enough of the other kind of reading at work. My
favourites used to be Erica Jong and Jong Irving, also some latin
american authors like Isabel Allende, Jorge Amado and Gabriel Garcia
Marquez. Currently I am reading Arturo Perez Reverte's "La reina del
sur' which very appropiately I bought in Mexico. I also liked Joyce
Carol Oates but now I find her dense. What I like are stories about
relationships, be it romantic, social, or family, but interesting, not
your run of the mill love story. My problem is that I have trouble
identifying authors I am going to like, unlike DH who is always looking
for the same names (in particular he collects Jack Vance).

I have an absolute requirement that the book has to be well written, but
it cannot be so gramatically exquisite that it detracts from the story,
if you know what I mean. For example, I thought the writing in the Da
Vinci code was awful. I usually do not enjoy best sellers - they look to
me like they are written quickly, while on the other extreme, books that
are too pompous bore me.

Any reccomendations based on that? Nann? Maybe I can ask for your
professional opinion in private email.

Old October 29th 05, 09:16 PM
Kate Dicey

DrQuilter wrote:

DH is waiting hopefully, as if the TV was one of those rich relatives
you don't love....

Hehehehe! Ours was a 16" one that we bought to use as both telly and
monitor for our first home computer (a BBC B). We had a very small
house at the time, and space was at a premium. When we came here (21
years ago!), we put it on a bracket on the wall, as the living room is a
rather odd shape - long and narrow, with a large chimney breast in the
middle of one wall! The new telly was bought to fit in the gap left
when the old fireplace was removed!

Old October 29th 05, 10:38 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
DrQuilter wrote:

I have an absolute requirement that the book has to be well written, but
it cannot be so gramatically exquisite that it detracts from the story,
if you know what I mean. For example, I thought the writing in the Da
Vinci code was awful. I usually do not enjoy best sellers - they look to
me like they are written quickly, while on the other extreme, books that
are too pompous bore me.

Any reccomendations based on that? Nann? Maybe I can ask for your
professional opinion in private email.

I love Isabel Allende's novel Paula. She writes in spanish and then it
is translated to english. The rhythm of her writing is beautiful, I
think.

marcella
Old October 30th 05, 12:51 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Isabel Allende (was Sewing room comment...)

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message

I love Isabel Allende's novel Paula. She writes in spanish and then it
is translated to english. The rhythm of her writing is beautiful, I
think.

But have PLENTY of tissues on hand when you read that book...

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 30th 05, 09:36 AM
Roberta Zollner

Our living room has walls of shelves, but filled with CDs. Books do have a
dedicated room though, and we aren't rich :-)
Roberta in D

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

Sounds like us, we've just put in new shelves in the living room.
About 120 feet on two walls, it wasn't enough so we added another 40
feet in the dining room. They are full and those are for the hard back
books, there are over 1000 paperbacks in the basement.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

my own sewing room Sharon Gates Quilting 5 October 22nd 05 06:37 AM
Sewing Room Moved!! Kate G. Quilting 3 September 5th 05 10:46 PM
Sewing Room Accessories Ward Sewing 9 September 1st 04 01:01 PM
Sewing room curtains I made: Susie Quilting 43 February 15th 04 10:26 AM
Permanent Sewing Room! Lindroos Quilting 4 February 4th 04 04:26 PM