Slipcovers

Old June 16th 04, 01:30 AM

Default Slipcovers

Slipcovers

(Dr.=A0Quilter)
so wasn't it still too large for the washer after you made it into a
slipcover? or did you use an industrial washer afterwards? I wasn't
planning on prewashing.. but it you are right, it will need washing at
some point..
---
Depends on what fabric you plan to make the slipcover from. Some
fabrics _must_ be dry-cleaned, either because of the weave, or the
finish. Velvets, tapestries, polished cotton, open weaves with any
latex used on the backing--that sort of item, should be dry cleaned.
Always pre-test a sample for shrinkage, fraying, color and finish loss.
Many cotton blends will do well when pre-washed, but I always wash
before cutting out, as they almost always shrink. You could serge the
raw edges and give the yardage a whirl in an industrial machine--take it
to a laundromat, they usually have larger machines.
Don't dry it bone-dry; I leave the fabric a tiny bit damp, as it is a
bit more flexible/stretchy when slightly damp, and fits the furniture
without a struggle.
I always fit the fabric to the furniture, cut/pin pieces, carry to
the sewing machine and sew (easier if you set the machine up next to the
furniture); then pin-fit the next seam, sew it, and so on.
I forgo the making of a mock-up--why make two slipcovers, one of which
will be a pattern only, when you can pin fit one and be done with it?
BTW, if you pick a fabric which can be railroaded across the
furniture (as on a sofa), you save money on yardage.
Color matters: I made a frumpy slipcover out of off-white damask for
a small chair, and am continually washing it. PITA, even though I like
the white/off-white slipcovers for summer.
If there's anything else I can add, please ask.
Cea